Update (long) - Meeting with a Store Owner

Old November 4th 04, 06:02 AM
Carla

Default Update (long) - Meeting with a Store Owner

First, many thanks again for all the good wishes.
Second, it went well!! Yeah, it did. It's taken me this long to wind
down

So, I got the time wrong, but that was okay 'cause I showed up early and
he wasn't there yet. I *hate* being late for anything, so I'm really
glad I erred in the other direction.

The same clerk was there and wanted to see what I brought, so I got to
spend some time talking my stuff up, describing methods and materials,
etc. She was really excited about some of the earrings and a necklace,
and wants me to do some stuff for her; also wanted to know if I taught a
class anywhere on jewelry-making, or if I'd be willing to teach her, at
least. (Self-esteem is waking, looking around, and going "Hey, this is
pretty cool!") The clerk also gives me the manager/owner's name of
another store that carries beaded jewelry, this one even closer to home;
says "I bet she'd love your stuff. You should call her and take some
stuff over there, too!"

By the time the owner walks in, I'm relaxed, outgoing, professional
without being stiff (I think, "Who *is* this woman and why doesn't she
come out more often?") Firm handshake, case out on the counter, folder
with pics out; I didn't drop anything or knock anything over; I didn't
even *stutter*. (And kudos to whatever Gyno-Goddess was looking out for
me...I didn't have one hot flash the entire time I was there g.)

Now, one thing I hadn't even thought about was wholesale vs. retail
pricing, and the owner said he didn't think he could sell the stuff
after his mark-up, and would I be willing to come down on the prices (he
had picked out four pairs of polyclay earrings). I said "sure, I'm
happy to negotiate the price...if you want to take more pieces." And he
*did*! Yay me! He really wasn't interested in necklaces; he's got
tons of necklaces, says he. And I responded, "Yes, but those are the
same necklaces carried in all the gift shops in all the malls. My
pieces are each one of a kind, and made with better materials." Heh,
sold the most expensive necklace I had taken with me!

Near the end, he asked me how did I generally figure out my wholesale
cost; what did I work out with other stores? I said "This is actually
my very first time doing this. I've sold to individuals, and done a few
craft fairs." And he started laughing, said he found it hard to believe
I wasn't an old hand at this.

It also turns out he's a friend of the owner of my favorite LBS. He
says, "The next time you're in there, tell him I said he should be
giving you the better pricing on findings and materials." Okay, I will!

I told him I'm currently concentrating more on polymer clay, pendants in
particular. Might he be interested in seeing those, simply strung on
leather cords? Why, yes, he would be; could I bring some in, in the
next couple of weeks for him to have a look? Yes, I can do that.
What if a customer asks about a particular piece but wants a different
color? Yes, I can do that, too.

He asked about my online sales, and I told him I didn't have a website,
yet. He told me to get one up, that I'd probably do very well online,
too. (Hubby, waiting downstairs, is going to have to help me carry my
head home.) Owner tells me I've got an "great eye for design". (Stop!
Stop! I'm gonna have an ego-gasm!)

So I give him my card (he thinks the "carliecraft designs" is nice g),
graciously thank him for his time, and walk out with (for me) a big ol'
hunk o' money g.

Right now, I'm feeling like it doesn't ever have to work out this well
again, and I'll be okay 'cause my very first time was a hit

Now it's time to catch up on the wit and wisdom of rcb (I felt like I
was channelling everyone here; or at least, you were all standing
behind me going "Yeah, you can do it!" Then I'm going to get some
much-needed sleep.

Thanks and hugs all around,
Carla

Old November 4th 04, 06:33 AM
Tinkster

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 06:02:14 GMT, Carla
wrote:

First, many thanks again for all the good wishes.
Second, it went well!! Yeah, it did. It's taken me this long to wind
down

*snip*

Bravo! I'm thrilled that it went so well! The first time is (usually)
the hardest, and you did smashingly!

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old November 4th 04, 06:41 AM
Shirley Shone

Well done Carla, think of us when you become famous
Shirley

In message et, Carla
writes

--
Shirley Shone
Old November 4th 04, 06:42 AM
Marissa Undercofler

HOORAY for you that is GREAT!!! It sounds like talking to the clerk before
the owner showed up really helped you not feel nervous about trying to sell
your pieces to the store owner. Good for you for taking this big step into
selling in stores. I am sure it wasn't easy. I have a guy here in our area
who runs a florist/gift shop (used to be right in town, but the town is so
dead he moved it about 15 mins away to a much busier town), who wants to see
what I do, but I don't have any finished stuff to take for him to see. I
have 4 pieces atm waiting to be finished, but I need to get a few more
things before I can finish them.

I hope this store works out for you.

Marissa

nk.net...

Old November 4th 04, 06:58 AM
VManes

She swings, and it's outta the park! Way to go!

Val

Old November 4th 04, 07:11 AM
~Candace~

My face just split, I was smiling and cheering you on as I read every word,
Carla! Hot Damn woman! How does it feel to have your talent and hard work
pay off! I am so excited for you--I have to go pee now..I've lost control
of myself, lol!

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

nk.net...

Old November 4th 04, 07:23 AM
Annie Bauer

Carla, I am so thrilled to hear that it went so well for you! We were all
rooting for ya!

Annie

Old November 4th 04, 07:47 AM
Carla

Heh, I made Candace pee. It truly is a night to remember!

Cheers,
Carla (barely functional 'cause I'm so sleepy...and can't sleep yet)

Old November 4th 04, 01:07 PM
Diana Curtis

Way to go, Carla!!!!!
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
"Carla" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Meeting with a store owner Carla Beads 20 November 6th 04 08:57 PM
UPDATE: My Medical Stuff (long but okay) Cheryl Beads 18 June 22nd 04 05:35 AM
Hardware store update Harry Beads 10 December 22nd 03 10:15 PM
Long...Please Read!-- update on website, Links List Linx Beads 1 July 15th 03 01:27 AM