round robins

Old March 8th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Default round robins

I'm doing a cross stitch round robin at the moment, and whilst stitching
yesterday, wondered what the equivalent would be in quilting, I instantly
thought of block swaps, but that isn't quite the same, I was going to post
and ask, but before I had the chance, I just saw one featured on Fons and
Porter Love of Quilting on qnntv.com. They said that what you do is make a
centre then pass it around and each person adds a border. It sounds rather
fun, when you just have a border to do on a given quilt and there are
multiple borders, it really makes you be more creative about what you do in
that border. I've already thought of what I'd do for my centre if I found
one to take part in, I'd do a mariners compass. Has anyone taken part in
one, either from an online group and mailed it around, or in a local group?

Anne

Old March 8th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TerriLee in WA \(state\)

Anne - we have had round robins in the past - although I forget who hosted
them. You could start one, and put out a call for whoever wants to
participate. I'd join in, that would be fun, and I've never done a round
robin before.
--
TerriLee in WA (state)
remove the cats to reply

Old March 8th 07, 08:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

They are great, Anne, when they work!
There is, sadly, a lot of scope for problems.
Try 'Google - Groups - Archives - rec.crafts.textiles.quilting' and look
up threads about those we have had in the past. The great majority have
worked well; some have had small glitches; one or two have had unhappy
outcomes. With our group, you might have to consider long-distance
posting. I think some with a large response have been divided into
geographically close area sub-groups.

I do hate to cast a shadow on something which has the potential to be a
really interesting and inventive 'exercise'.
..

In message , Anne Rogers
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 8th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr[_2_]

I did one locally a few years ago. It was a learning experience
trying to make each border come out the right size. They all turned
our beautiful. Our only rule was for the third border to have
applique. They turned out a little larger than we expected, so
specifying a size rule might be helpful. I suppose I could scan and
post the pictures if someone really wanted me to - that was before I
had gone digital.

Old March 9th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Anne - we have had round robins in the past - although I forget who hosted
them. You could start one, and put out a call for whoever wants to
participate. I'd join in, that would be fun, and I've never done a round
robin before.

I wasn't really thinking of organising one or anything, mainly for the
reasons Patti mentioned, I was just wondering what peoples experiences had
been.

But now you've said you'd join in, maybe we could get one going.

Anne

Old March 9th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

They are great, Anne, when they work!
There is, sadly, a lot of scope for problems.
Try 'Google - Groups - Archives - rec.crafts.textiles.quilting' and look
up threads about those we have had in the past. The great majority have
worked well; some have had small glitches; one or two have had unhappy
outcomes. With our group, you might have to consider long-distance
posting. I think some with a large response have been divided into
geographically close area sub-groups.

I do hate to cast a shadow on something which has the potential to be a
really interesting and inventive 'exercise'.

well I'm glad most have had good outcomes, I wasn't really thinking or
organising anything, just finding out what peoples experiences have been. I
can see it's got a lot more potential for problems than a block exchange,
though I know for me I'd prefer it to a block exchange as at the end, the
whole top is finished even if you've still got to quilt it!
Anne

Old March 9th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

I did one locally a few years ago. It was a learning experience
trying to make each border come out the right size. They all turned
our beautiful. Our only rule was for the third border to have
applique. They turned out a little larger than we expected, so
specifying a size rule might be helpful. I suppose I could scan and
post the pictures if someone really wanted me to - that was before I
had gone digital.

My thoughts would be that the whole idea would be that people did whatever
suited them, so no insisting on applique, I'm not keen on that and not too
good at it either! It seems reasonable to put some constraint on size, but
with all the middles starting diffently, perhaps each person would be best
creating their own guideline on what size they preferred. I don't plan on
organizing one right now, but it does appeal, so I guess I'll be keeping my
eyes open.

Anne

Round Robins Edith Teague Needlework 3 January 16th 07 02:44 AM
Any mini round robins? Christina Doucette Quilting 8 October 31st 05 12:33 AM
Round Robins-2002 shhdesigns Quilting 0 March 25th 04 10:09 PM
round robins teaparty56 Quilting 1 March 2nd 04 01:19 PM
Round Robins renae Needlework 6 January 17th 04 03:06 PM