OT, to gain a little insight into your creative mind

Old March 9th 05, 02:48 PM
Kalera Stratton

Oh, fabric...

I forgot about that.

I have a lot of fabric and I just bought more, thinking that I can sew
some simple but classic jumpers for my oldest to wear this spring and
summer.

I think the last time I actually sewed anything was 1997.

Marisa Cappetta wrote:
You like Barbies too? My fave is my 1958 doll (the date is stamped on the
back of her neck.) She was second hand when I got her as a hand me down from
a cousin in about 1969. She is still in great shape, but I never had any
clothes for her. I've since collected several vintage Barbie fashion
patterns (Simplicity, I think) from the period and made a wardrobe for her.

I sew, but don't stash. Which according the women in the store where I work,
makes me abnormal. I sew it up as I buy it. According to one woman, fabric
is not for sewing. It's for putting in the cupboard.
Marisa AU/NZ

"Arondelle" wrote in message
oups.com...

I come from a long line of pack-rats, on both sides of my family, so
where to begin?

Objects:
Fabrics. I had a huge stash of fabrics before the fire, some of which
were scraps I had saved from childhood sewing projects, and some had
been my mother's that she had never gotten to use. Of course, 90% of
the stash was destroyed, and I have been feverishly trying to build it
up again. I don't know why; I already have enough cotton "fat
quarters" to make a quilt big enough to drape the entire three-story
apartment building right to the ground.

RPG dice. Can never have enough dice, even though I haven't play in a
face-to-face game in 5 years.

Beads (Really????) ;-)

Swarovski chandelier crystals

Buttons. Ya never know when you might need a rainbow-colored fish
button...

Books, another collection that went bye-bye.

Teapots and fancy tea to brew in them

Rhinestone brooches, the tackier the better. I like the 1950's vintage
the best.

Candles. My candle jones got so bad, I've started making my own. You'd
think that after the fire (which was started by an unattended candle) I
would be terrified of candles, but I'm not. I am, however, safety
concious to the point of paranoia.

Barbies and Beanie Babies. I'd like to collect Carpatina dolls and
their clothes, too, but they're a bit out of my pocketbook at the
moment. The one I do have, Emma, was a gift from the doll's designer.

"Models" for 3D computer graphics. You can find quite a large number
of high quality software objects for free on the internet...

God and Goddess statues, from assorted pantheons. I'm particularly
fond of the Hindu elephant god, Ganesh.

Rocks and shells

Calculators (The gods' gift to the mathophobic)

I'd say Christmas/Solstice/Halloween ornaments, but I prefer to make
them rather than buy them. Does having a large bunch if them count as
a collection?

Themes:
Dragons
Wizards
Gargoyles
Fairies (this was an "accidental" collection, but I'm ok with it. The
Girlfriends think gargoyles are too scary.)
Spirals and labyrinths
Ivy Leaves
Cats, especially Calicos
Wolves
Halloween

Arondelle (on Google)

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old March 9th 05, 02:53 PM
Kalera Stratton

We had one of those old calculators. Someone got it as a present for my
mom when she was in college... I don't know what they thought an English
major would do with a calculator, but when I came along I played with
it. It had a red LED display which would be unnerving as heck nowadays.

It would probably fetch quite a sum if you sold it on eBay... I hear
they're very collectible now.

Arondelle wrote:
Christina Peterson wrote:

Batteries for old calculators? Pencils don't need batteries.

This particular calculator (if it's the one I'm thinking of) had
rechargable batteries that were soldered into the case; you had to send
it back to the factory to have the battery pack replaced when they would
no longer hold a charge. Bowmars also used the confusing Reverse Polish
Notation (Don't ask; I never figured it out. I'm mathophobic, remember?)
for doing calculations, rather than the straightforward, intuitive
notation used by calculators today. The little buggers cost $300+ a pop.

Of course, this was back in the days when a "minicomputer" was the size
of a city bus, and the Lisa (the first personal computer) was just a
twinkle in Steve Jobs' eye.

Arondelle

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old March 9th 05, 02:55 PM
Kalera Stratton

Peggy wrote:
Cookbooks, cooking utensils, pots, pans, etc. And kitchens. I only have 2
now but I used to have 4.

???

This is gonna take some 'splainin'.
--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old March 9th 05, 03:01 PM
Stephanie

Oh! and one purse... but its more like a bag than a
purse! hehehe

Now THAT'S just wrong!! hahahaha

Old March 9th 05, 03:29 PM
Sarajane Helm

big calculators makes me think of my great uncle Blynn. He was one of the
people in charge of setting up the FIRST big computer in our Census Bureau.
The UniVac filled a huge room, and could add and subtract.....

Old March 9th 05, 03:36 PM
Tinkster

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 06:45:51 -0800, Kalera Stratton
wrote:

Some people are shoe people, some people aren't... my friend Gwyn has as
many as two pairs of shoes at any one time, and resists any attempt to
make her have more. I, on the other hand, need a shoe room.

I confess, I never thought of myself as a shoe person until I cleaned
out my closet last weekend. Ohmy. I managed to part with a grand total
of four pairs of shoes in the cleaning frenzy:
Black platform Maryjanes with a broken strap
House slippers that were two sizes too big
The big strap-on hard-soled shoes from when I broke my foot
One old and impressively smelly pair of sneakers

I'm getting quite a collection of flame shoes... Four pair so far. But
the crowning glory in the collection is the fab pair of Doc boots that
Kathy N-V sent me as a gift.

My most comfy pair EVER is a pair of HD sidezip boots with flames on
them.

Oh, and I just got a pair of Born Aspens on eBay.

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old March 9th 05, 03:38 PM
Tinkster

I was thinking the same thing. I don't even have ONE right now. LOL!

Old March 9th 05, 03:57 PM
Arondelle

Sarajane Helm wrote:
big calculators makes me think of my great uncle Blynn. He was one of the
people in charge of setting up the FIRST big computer in our Census Bureau.
The UniVac filled a huge room, and could add and subtract.....

My dad was an engineering student at MIT during the time when the UNIVAC
was designed. He had an office next door to the "Model Railroading
Club" and would open a vent between the two rooms in the wintertime to
get extra heat off all them glowing vacuum tubes.

All that radiation is probably why I'm nerdly inclined: I was conceived
during Dad's time at MIT. ;-)

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net

Old March 9th 05, 03:59 PM
Shirley Shone

Well if she has a spare Bundt pan she can throw it my way.

I have just been making a Lemon Chiffon cake using Splenda, a diabetic
cake.
It called for a Ring or Bundt pan and I do not have one of those, did
not see one in our cook shop either.
I think the cake would have been better for having the correct pan for
it.
Otherwise it did not turn out too bad.
Shirley

In message , Kalera Stratton
writes

Old March 9th 05, 04:14 PM
Polly S.

Arondelle wrote:
Polly S. wrote:

Since we were all talking collections and it landed in my house at the
same time I just thought I give it to someone here of anyone loves ms
piggy (I'm a kermit person, ms piggy just annoyed me!)

Are you sure a ms piggy wouldn't make ya smile? =)

Well, if you're desperate to give it away, sure. Just don't mention Ms.
Piggy to any of my friends or you know what will happen: Ms. Piggy
stuff up the patoot....

lol! with me it was birds... I was deluged w/ some nice glass and
pottery ones but mostly some awful ceramic or plastic ones... even a
giant seagull!

Just follow the instructions below to email me your email addy, and I'll
send you my snail mail.

cool! =)

--
Polly