OT, to gain a little insight into your creative mind

Old March 9th 05, 11:12 AM
Christina Peterson

Batteries for old calculators? Pencils don't need batteries.

I have an old book, "Orton's Lightning Calculator". Tells you how to
quickly estimate bails of hay in a field, board feet in a tree, etc.

Tina

"Lilyflower" wrote...
To the calculator collector: I have one of the original handhelds,
battery worn out. If I can find it do you want it?

Old March 9th 05, 11:51 AM
Arondelle

Lilyflower wrote:
To the calculator collector: I have one of the original handhelds,
battery worn out. If I can find it do you want it?

Is it a Bowmar with the "rechargable" batteries, or a Texas Instrument?

I worked for Bowmar/Acton Laboratories when they were first making them.
:-)

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net

Old March 9th 05, 11:54 AM
Kathy N-V

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 6:06:42 -0500, Christina Peterson wrote
(in message ):

I buy all the shoes I can find that fit me. That would be .... oh, a couple
pairs. Saves money.

Tina

I'm still waiting for a tracing of your feet, and as may measurements
of the depth, etc. that you can give me. Please?

Kathy N-V

Old March 9th 05, 12:08 PM
Arondelle

Christina Peterson wrote:

Batteries for old calculators? Pencils don't need batteries.

This particular calculator (if it's the one I'm thinking of) had
rechargable batteries that were soldered into the case; you had to send
it back to the factory to have the battery pack replaced when they would
no longer hold a charge. Bowmars also used the confusing Reverse Polish
Notation (Don't ask; I never figured it out. I'm mathophobic, remember?)
for doing calculations, rather than the straightforward, intuitive
notation used by calculators today. The little buggers cost $300+ a pop.

Of course, this was back in the days when a "minicomputer" was the size
of a city bus, and the Lisa (the first personal computer) was just a
twinkle in Steve Jobs' eye.

Old March 9th 05, 12:16 PM
Arondelle

Polly S. wrote:
Since we were all talking collections and it landed in my house at the
same time I just thought I give it to someone here of anyone loves ms
piggy (I'm a kermit person, ms piggy just annoyed me!)

Are you sure a ms piggy wouldn't make ya smile? =)

Well, if you're desperate to give it away, sure. Just don't mention Ms.
Piggy to any of my friends or you know what will happen: Ms. Piggy
stuff up the patoot....

Just follow the instructions below to email me your email addy, and I'll
send you my snail mail.

Old March 9th 05, 12:39 PM
Peggy

Cookbooks, cooking utensils, pots, pans, etc. And kitchens. I only have 2
now but I used to have 4.

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know that the things I collect influence my beadwork. For instance,
the black and white vintage photos I gather compulsively make their way
into my jewelry, and other things do too. So----
*What Do YOU Collect?*

Please, keep it not-too-long....I realize for some of us, who collect
EVERYTHING under the sun, the list is quite huge. But it might help us
all learn about each other better if we keep it to our Top Thousand
Collecting Jones.

Ready? GO!!! (And I mean everybody! It helps the doldrums to think
about this stuff, right?)

Old March 9th 05, 02:40 PM
Kalera Stratton

Oh wait... yes, good point!

Marisa Cappetta wrote:
Diamonds honey, not narwhals.

So if I announce that I am collecting narwhals, this should slack off a
bit...

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old March 9th 05, 02:42 PM
rosie read n' post

i collect blue/white china pieces.
TJMAXX, STEINS, MARSHALL'S etc.

--
rosie

http://www.commonsensemom.com/

:

Old March 9th 05, 02:43 PM
Kalera Stratton

Su/Cutworks wrote:
Kalera wrote:

Ohhh, good plan! See, with the turtles, it is the volume... and the sheer
ghastly kitschiness... of the stuff my family gives me. Plastic turtle
candleholders, turtle mugs, turtle keychains; turtle knick-knacks of all
varieties, like if they see *anything* with a turtle on it they are
compelled to get it for me, ugly or not.

I had a very good friend in Indiana who had the largest collection of
Garfield items in the world, Jim Davis even visited her once and commented
on how many things she had that he'd never seen before. I bought her a
Garfield in a Mountie outfit once in Toronto.

This mental image terrifies me.

So if I announce that I am collecting narwhals, this should slack off a
bit...

Well, it depends on who gives you the narwhal. I envision a narwhal
installation involving several huge packing crates and 3 tons of
fluffy-pet-toy filling.

-Su

SHRIEK! This one terrifies me even more...!
--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old March 9th 05, 02:45 PM
Kalera Stratton

Some people are shoe people, some people aren't... my friend Gwyn has as
many as two pairs of shoes at any one time, and resists any attempt to
make her have more. I, on the other hand, need a shoe room.

Polly S. wrote:
Kalera Stratton wrote:

Purses! I love purses. I try not to think about this love too often,
or I would end up with purses like I have shoes. I have a really bad
case of shoes.

LOL Who needs shoes??? j/k I have exactly 3 pair of plain leather
sandals and one pair of good (but old) running shoes and one pair of
clogs... thats it! Oh! and one purse... but its more like a bag than a
purse! hehehe

My daughter and mom both keep buying me 'nice' shoes but I just wind up
giving them back because its their kind of shoes, not mine! =)

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com