That part-of-the-way-through slump

Old December 27th 04, 07:24 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Default That part-of-the-way-through slump

I don't know about anyone else, but I can start a project with great
enthusiasm, and when I'm near finishing it I can churn right along,
but I nearly always hit a part-way-through bogdown. About the only
thing that helps is having a tight deadline and that doesn't always
help very much. Any suggestions?

Old December 27th 04, 12:57 PM
F.James Cripwell

Seanette Blaylock ) writes:
I don't know about anyone else, but I can start a project with great
enthusiasm, and when I'm near finishing it I can churn right along,
but I nearly always hit a part-way-through bogdown. About the only
thing that helps is having a tight deadline and that doesn't always
help very much. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you are much more interested in the finished product
than the process; the calming effect of just sitting and stitching. One
thing I tend to do, but not very rigidly, is to set myself
mini-objectives. With large projects, it is months before they are
actually finished, but one can aim to do a certain part. This is, of
course, a mental thing, so whether this idea of subdividing the project
into sub-projects is going to help, I have no idea. HTH.

--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.
Old December 27th 04, 03:02 PM
Julie T in VA

I get the same slump! In fact I just "gave up" on 2 projects to start new ones.
something not so unusual i'm afraid. I think the idea of mini objectives will
help me, I'm going to try it with the blasted baby sampler for my now
2-year-old nephew! Then I can work on the samplers for his twin baby
sisters. sigh.
Thanks!
Old December 27th 04, 04:17 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Seanette Blaylock
writes:

Any suggestions?

I'll be right over, carrying a whip, and will stand over you until you are
done. For further motivation, I'm bringing my entire collection of opera CDs.
The faster you stitch, the faster you can stop listening to screeching
sopranos.
--
Finished 12/8/04 -- Army bear ornament
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old December 27th 04, 05:40 PM
Olwynmary

I nearly always hit a part-way-through bogdown

Any suggestions?

I find it helps always to have one knitting, one crochet and one embroidery
project "on the go". Not only does this give me a little variety if I hit a
slump in one of them, it also ensures that I have a portable project to take
with me if one of them has reached a spot where I have to sit quietly and
concentrate on the next portion.

Of course, if one of the things I am making is a Christmas or birthday present
for a grandchild, I just have to grit my teeth and slog on through it!!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old December 27th 04, 07:46 PM
TiaLD77

Guilty of Slumping as well here LOL.
I currently have 6 quilt tops in the works 2 cross stich projects, & 5
Tatting projects to complete.....the quilt on the Hoop right now was
started 2 years ago for my Previous employers baby girl. At this rate
it may be done in time for her first Grandchild....the thing I have
done is pick a UFO day (unfinished object) sit down & complete one part
of the project at hand be it stuffing, Marking or finishing a round.
Once I get started I am usually gung ho to complete the next step.
Hope that helps....if not Karen C may get her Opera & wip day with me
as well ;-)
Tia

Old December 28th 04, 01:28 AM

Karen C - California wrote:

I'll be right over, carrying a whip, and will stand over you until

you are
done. For further motivation, I'm bringing my entire collection of

opera CDs.
The faster you stitch, the faster you can stop listening to

screeching
sopranos.

Thanks Karen! You just gave me such a laugh!
Lee

Old December 28th 04, 02:19 AM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Seanette Blaylock wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I can start a project with great
enthusiasm, and when I'm near finishing it I can churn right along,
but I nearly always hit a part-way-through bogdown.

I get that, too. But having a rotation helps. When I get bogged down on
one thing, I switch to another. Sometimes I hold out starting a new
piece in the rotation as a reward to myself for getting past the "bog"
in a current project. Like now: I'm up to the last motif on "Marriage of
Minds" and promised myself that when I finish this band of lettering, I
can start a mermaid sampler and do just one band before I return to MoM.

Sue
Old December 28th 04, 06:56 PM
JCMumsie

I find it helps always to have one knitting, one crochet and one embroidery
project "on the go".

I do the same thing - I've always got one of the old zig-zag crocheted afghans
going - and I know I can work that practically in my sleep so I'm at least
doing something!
Joan