Figuring spacing

Old November 28th 04, 02:08 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Default Figuring spacing

I'm doing a wedding piece for friends of mine. I have a chart for the
building in which their wedding will take place, but am adding info
such as their names, the date, the location, etc.

I'm doing this on 28-ct over 2. The names [going at the top of the
piece, above a steeple] are 12 stitches high. Three distinct lines of
additional info are going below the building, in lettering 4 stitches
tall.

Can anyone offer useful advice on figuring out spacing those lines of
text? I'd really rather not go the trial-and-error route doing the
lettering in antique burgundy Kreinik braid on light blue Jobelan,
with only a month to get the project done. :-)

Old November 28th 04, 03:41 AM
Jenn Ridley

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

I'm doing a wedding piece for friends of mine. I have a chart for the
building in which their wedding will take place, but am adding info
such as their names, the date, the location, etc.

I'm doing this on 28-ct over 2. The names [going at the top of the
piece, above a steeple] are 12 stitches high. Three distinct lines of
additional info are going below the building, in lettering 4 stitches
tall.

Can anyone offer useful advice on figuring out spacing those lines of
text? I'd really rather not go the trial-and-error route doing the
lettering in antique burgundy Kreinik braid on light blue Jobelan,
with only a month to get the project done. :-)

A pencil and graph paper is the way I usually do it.

There are a number of graph paper printing programs available free on
the web (a quick google on ' "graph paper" printing ' (drop the single
quotes, but keep the words graph paper in quotes) will give a bunch.
I've not tried any of them, so I don't know which ones work best.

If you've got a charting program, you could use that, but I find that
pencil and paper works best for me.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Art Stitch Rose Trio, Emperor's Coat, Carousel, Halloween Circle
Old November 28th 04, 01:20 PM
Bmciowa

"graph paper"

There's a free graph paper download at www.craftsoft.com. Look under the
"software" tab. I just print it out at 14 count and graph away.

HTH,
Sara
WIPS: ?
Old November 28th 04, 01:29 PM
Beverly B

"...
Seanette Blaylock wrote:

I'm doing a wedding piece for friends of mine. I have a chart for the
building in which their wedding will take place, but am adding info
such as their names, the date, the location, etc.
Can anyone offer useful advice on figuring out spacing those lines of
text? I'd really rather not go the trial-and-error route ,
with only a month to get the project done. :-)

Then Jenn Wrote

A pencil and graph paper is the way I usually do it.

There are a number of graph paper printing programs available free on
the web (a quick google on ' "graph paper" printing ' (drop the single
quotes, but keep the words graph paper in quotes) will give a bunch.
jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :

I usually use graph paper also and pencil also. The way I do it is to graph
out each line and then literally cut and paste. After graphing out all the
lettering I take a second piece of graph paper and place as much info (such
as center marks) as I need from the main chart. Then I cut up the paper
with the lettering on it and place it on the second sheet of graph paper.
When I have everything lined up the way I want it I just tape it all down
and go from there. In your case it should be fairly simple since you are
putting all your lettering above or below the design on your main chart. If
you were fitting it into the middle of the design you might have had to
modify the design or add to the border to fit in that much text.

Beverly B

Old November 28th 04, 08:47 PM
Jenn Ridley

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

(Bmciowa) had some very interesting things to say
about Figuring spacing:

"graph paper"

There's a free graph paper download at www.craftsoft.com. Look under the
"software" tab. I just print it out at 14 count and graph away.

Aside from I don't have *time* to copy the building chart manually
over to another sheet of paper, that's going to be so frustrating with
copy errors that the project might not get *done*. I had hoped someone
had some useful ideas for figuring spacing short of redrawing the
whole chart, which is simply not a viable option.

Just chart in the outlines on the paper, then chart the lettering in
the blank areas. You don't have to copy all of it.

Another option would be to make a working copy or two of the chart
you're working off of, and do your drawing on those.
Old November 28th 04, 09:27 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

(Bmciowa) had some very interesting things to say
about Figuring spacing:

"graph paper"

There's a free graph paper download at
www.craftsoft.com. Look under the
"software" tab. I just print it out at 14 count and graph away.

Aside from I don't have *time* to copy the building chart manually
over to another sheet of paper, that's going to be so frustrating with
copy errors that the project might not get *done*. I had hoped someone
had some useful ideas for figuring spacing short of redrawing the
whole chart, which is simply not a viable option.

You don't have to copy the whole chart. You just have
to chart the lettering so you can accurately figure how much
space the lettering will take up. Once you know how big a
block you need for each line of text, you can count and center
it vertically and horizontally in the blank spaces as you please.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 29th 04, 01:00 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Ericka Kammerer had some very interesting things to
say about Figuring spacing:

You don't have to copy the whole chart. You just have
to chart the lettering so you can accurately figure how much
space the lettering will take up. Once you know how big a
block you need for each line of text, you can count and center
it vertically and horizontally in the blank spaces as you please.

The lettering, I've got. The problem is vertical spacing, including
space from the building, and everyone's saying "oh, just copy the
whole about 2200 stitch chart and go from there". Does no one have any
way to figure spacing based on sizes of lettering *without* drawing
the building all over again?

Old November 29th 04, 01:10 AM
Jenn Liace

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:00:50 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
wrote:

Ericka Kammerer had some very interesting things to
say about Figuring spacing:

You don't have to copy the whole chart. You just have
to chart the lettering so you can accurately figure how much
space the lettering will take up. Once you know how big a
block you need for each line of text, you can count and center
it vertically and horizontally in the blank spaces as you please.

The lettering, I've got. The problem is vertical spacing, including
space from the building, and everyone's saying "oh, just copy the
whole about 2200 stitch chart and go from there". Does no one have any
way to figure spacing based on sizes of lettering *without* drawing
the building all over again?

I too thought you were asking about horizontal placement to center
your text.

I typically put half as many stitches of space between lines of text
as there are stitches in the tallest letter when I'm personalizing a
piece. So for your 4 stitch letters, I'd put 2 stitches of space
between line 1 and line 2, and again between line 2 and line 3.

As for centering the text between the top (or bottom) edge of the
buildings and the edge of your framed area, the only suggestions I
have for that is either trial and error based on how much white space
you're planning on leaving, or pick a specific number of stitches of
white space between the building and the first line of text and then
work from there.

I hope this helps.

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace

Current projects:
Christmas Carnations (Threads Through Time)
Nordic Needle Rose (Silver Lining)
Starry Night (Vincent van Gogh via Cross Stitch Collectibles)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old November 29th 04, 01:19 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Jenn Liace had some very interesting
things to say about Figuring spacing:

I too thought you were asking about horizontal placement to center
your text.

That I pretty much *had* to use graph paper for. The chart for the
building comes with center marks [not on the heavier grid lines of the
chart, but oh well, I can deal with that].

I typically put half as many stitches of space between lines of text
as there are stitches in the tallest letter when I'm personalizing a
piece. So for your 4 stitch letters, I'd put 2 stitches of space
between line 1 and line 2, and again between line 2 and line 3.

OK, that makes sense. I'd planned to use 4 stitches of spacing, but I
think 2 would probably work better.

As for centering the text between the top (or bottom) edge of the
buildings and the edge of your framed area, the only suggestions I
have for that is either trial and error based on how much white space
you're planning on leaving, or pick a specific number of stitches of
white space between the building and the first line of text and then
work from there.
I hope this helps.

Most helpful info I've gotten so far :-).

I figure out framing *after* the piece is done, so don't know what
I'll be doing on framing yet.

Old November 29th 04, 01:19 AM
Jenn Ridley

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Ericka Kammerer had some very interesting things to
say about Figuring spacing:

You don't have to copy the whole chart. You just have
to chart the lettering so you can accurately figure how much
space the lettering will take up. Once you know how big a
block you need for each line of text, you can count and center
it vertically and horizontally in the blank spaces as you please.

The lettering, I've got. The problem is vertical spacing, including
space from the building, and everyone's saying "oh, just copy the
whole about 2200 stitch chart and go from there". Does no one have any
way to figure spacing based on sizes of lettering *without* drawing
the building all over again?

No one has said "copy the whole thing over". Copy the edges of the
open area where you need to put the lettering.

Photocopy the chart. Using a pencil, chart the lettering in the areas
where it will go.

Or take a piece of graph paper the same count as the chart. Chart the
lettering out. Cut the words out. Place the cut out words on
original chart until you find a pleasing arrangement.