More on bead magazines (vent)

Old January 23rd 04, 01:29 AM
Kyla

Default More on bead magazines (vent)

GRR! Went through this month's issues of the usuals, and I am SO ticked
off. I mean, I KNEW there were a lot of ads, but seriously, I found myself
flipping through four or five pages of JUST ADS in a row! There's only
about 15 pages of content in those things, and the rest are ads.....what do
they expect us to buy, if they aren't teaching anything??? And what's up
with the same company having three of four ads per magazine?

And this kimono madness thing is annoying, too. Nothing lives up to what
I've already seen HERE ;o)

Anyway, all I can say is I am angry for anyone that has paid for a
subscription. Even in just the past 6 months have I seen a difference in
the magazines, and it's quite disturbing! Can't wait for my WAJ to get
here; they may only have a handful of projects, but at least it's in
proportion to all the crap.

--
Kyla
http://KylaNicole.estore.wahmchicks.com

Old January 23rd 04, 04:19 AM
roxan

That is really gorgeous.
Roxan
"Beadbimbo" wrote in message
Lol. Here's mine:

http://www.beadbimbo.com/ebay/wirering.jpg

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Beadbimbo"
:

]I Love that magazine! I got mine two days ago and made the ring that's

on
]the cover:
]
]http://www.wag.on.ca/
]
]It was pretty easy! DD liked it, so I made here one too. I guess we

have
]matching mother-daughter rings now.

so . . . the pictures are . . . ???

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books)
http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/newest.html
-----------
The measure of the menace of a man is not what
hardware he carries, but what ideas he believes.-- Jeff Jordan

Old January 23rd 04, 04:21 AM
roxan

Which magazines are you talking about. Button and bead has so far lived up
to good projects and info. Lately I have been disappointed with Lapidary
Journal. It used to have a lot more content in it but has been reduced to
half of what it used to have.
Roxan
m...

Old January 23rd 04, 04:53 AM
Mj

And that is the direct result of diminished advertising. As part of my
journalism degree (years ago!), I developed a mock herb magazine as a class
project. There is a correlation between content and ad space sold - without
one, the other has to be reduced because of costs and the limitations of the
printing and binding process. I seem to remember that the magazine had to
have its number of pages divisible by eight (or possibly another amount, but
I think this is correct). So content was adjusted to fit the space
available.

And if I'm not mistaken, the multiple pages of ads was a special part of
Bead & Button to advertise businesses at the Tucson shows, and is not a
normal part of the magazine. FWIW - I appreciate the ads. Gives me even
more inspiration for my own creations as well as giving me an idea of what
other businesses are selling. And given the size and content of B&B #1, you
really wouldn't want to return to the "good old days," believe me. LOL!!

Mj
--
=================================
Marjean Cline

Old January 23rd 04, 10:37 AM
Kyla

Yeah, that's my stupid ISP @@

I can be reached he Kyla "at" Hippobottomus.com )

--
Kyla
http://KylaNicole.estore.wahmchicks.com
http://www.Hippobottomus.com
"Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"vj" wrote in message
tried to e-mail you and got:

(reason: 554 delivery error: dd Sorry, your message to

cannot be delivered. This account is over quota. -
mta824.mail.sc5.yahoo.com)

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]

Old January 23rd 04, 03:34 PM
Karin Cernik

Very nice. I just got my first WAJ, and am anxious to try that one
out. But I can't find any half round half hard wire in town, and my pin
vise refuses to hold on to my square wire...

Maybe I should go back to rubberstamping... :-)

Karin

Old January 23rd 04, 06:34 PM
Dr. Sooz

GRR! Went through this month's issues of the usuals, and I am SO ticked
off. I mean, I KNEW there were a lot of ads, but seriously, I found myself
flipping through four or five pages of JUST ADS in a row! There's only
about 15 pages of content in those things, and the rest are ads.....what do
they expect us to buy, if they aren't teaching anything??? And what's up
with the same company having three of four ads per magazine?

And if they're going to advertise, why don't they change the look of the ad
once in a while?????????????????

This drives me crazy. Many of the lampwork artists, in particular, have the
same ad photo and copy they had two years ago. It's not smart, and it's not
interesting. When I see that *boring* monotony, I wonder about their beads,
too.

When I had my stamp company, I made up a different ad for each issue of the
magazine. I'm not saying they need to DO THIS.....I'm saying change it once
every few issues. Come ON. This is a visual field. These people are selling
to other artists.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old January 23rd 04, 06:35 PM
Dr. Sooz

And if I'm not mistaken, the multiple pages of ads was a special part of
Bead & Button to advertise businesses at the Tucson shows, and is not a
normal part of the magazine.

This is true.

FWIW - I appreciate the ads. Gives me even
more inspiration for my own creations as well as giving me an idea of what
other businesses are selling.

I agree.
~~
Sooz