Off Topic Sad-sad-sad news abt. Cpt.Kangaroo

Old January 23rd 04, 08:44 PM
Ellison

Default Off Topic Sad-sad-sad news abt. Cpt.Kangaroo

Howdy!
Just read this:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...p/obit_keeshan
Captain Kangaroo has died.
I grew up with this man, with this t.v. program, with this
entertainment. Captain Kangaroo was the first place I heard
the song "R-A-G-G-M-O-P-P: RAGGMOPP!"
The Captain was before Mr. Rogers, before Sesame Street,
before school EVERY morning. That show started when I did.
I got to meet Bob Keeshan a few years ago; what a sweet,
charming "little" man (he had shrunk with age). We talked about
my generation being the first of the t.v. generation kids. I've missed
that show for years.
Bless you all,
Ragmop/Sandy--by coincidence wearing my green jeans today

Old January 23rd 04, 08:50 PM
Jalynne

I was sad to read of this as well. That's awesome that you were able to talk with
him. He was my favourite!

Sandy, I don't believe in coincidence...
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

igy.com...

Old January 23rd 04, 09:00 PM
julia sidebottom

He was also Clara on Howdy Dudy... I watched him When I was a little girl.
I loved Mr. Green Jeans and still find myself singing a few of my favorite
songs from those early episodes.
juliasb

Old January 23rd 04, 09:15 PM
Diana Curtis

Who could ever forget Captain Kangaroo? Every episode was so full of gentle
fun with Mr. Greenjeans and the Rabbit, Mr. Moose and the dancing bear. It
was where I first heard the story read, Stone Soup, and I can still see the
pictures in my head.
I never got to meet him, but I do rememeber being a little girl, visiting
our relatives in CN and being told we were going to go see Captain Kangaroo.
I was sure we were going to go have a cup of tea in his living room, which I
was sure was a comfy little room full of overstuffed furniture. We did go
see him that day, along with hundreds of other children, in an auditorium!
Goodbye Captain Kangaroo!!! (ping pong balls raining down upon his gentle
head, again)
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old January 23rd 04, 09:18 PM
Kathy Applebaum

I, too, grew up with "Captain Kinkajou", as I used to call him. Mr. Moose
was my hero -- probably explains my love of awful, awful jokes.

(Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Shelby.
Shelby who?
Shelby comin' round the mountain when she comes!)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old January 23rd 04, 09:18 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"julia sidebottom" wrote in message
He was also Clara on Howdy Dudy...

Wasn't it Clarabell? Or has DH been lying to me all these years. (Howdy
Doody was before my time... *grin*)

Old January 23rd 04, 11:02 PM
Two x over

i was so sad when i read this, today. i too grew up with the captain....first
mr. rogers, now captain kangaroo.....

betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"

Old January 24th 04, 12:07 AM
Polly Esther

I remember Crabby Appleton. And Miss Worm singing "September Song" just
enough off-key that my hair curled. DD can still do that when we sing Happy
Birthday as a group - just sco-ooop into a note (almost).
And do you remember Train Day? Oh my.
Goodbye Captain. We loved you dearly. Polly

Old January 24th 04, 12:21 AM
Piglet

This comes just a day or so after we Chicago baby boomers took another
similar (but more local) hit---a guy by the name of Ray Rayner, who was a
kids' tv byword in the 50's and 60's on WGN long before it became a
superstation, also passed away.

Feeling mighty old today.

--pig