Tips needed for stitching with Kreinik Braid

Old October 1st 04, 03:08 AM
Sara Nuernberger

Default Tips needed for stitching with Kreinik Braid

I am stitching the Pixie Dust pattern Boo Crew, and it uses Kreinik braid,
sizes #4 & #8. I'm stitching it on 28 count linen.

I have never had much luck stitching with Kreinik braid. Can anyone give me
some tips that might help me?

Should I be making the stitches one complete stitch at a time, or should I
make the first half of the cross for a complete row, and then complete the
second half of the stitch on the return?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Old October 1st 04, 11:42 AM
F.James Cripwell

"Sara Nuernberger" ) writes:
I am stitching the Pixie Dust pattern Boo Crew, and it uses Kreinik braid,
sizes #4 & #8. I'm stitching it on 28 count linen.

I have never had much luck stitching with Kreinik braid. Can anyone give me
some tips that might help me?

Should I be making the stitches one complete stitch at a time, or should I
make the first half of the cross for a complete row, and then complete the
second half of the stitch on the return?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Personally, I have not had any difficulty using Kreinik braid. The
only thing I do, is to use comparatively short lengths. It just is not as
smooth to use as floss.

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old October 1st 04, 10:22 PM
Caryn

From "Sara Nuernberger

I am stitching the Pixie Dust pattern Boo Crew, and it uses Kreinik braid,
sizes #4 & #8. I'm stitching it on 28 count linen.

I have never had much luck stitching with Kreinik braid. Can anyone give me
some tips that might help me?

Should I be making the stitches one complete stitch at a time, or should I
make the first half of the cross for a complete row, and then complete the
second half of the stitch on the return?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Use shorter than usual lengths, as it tends to unravel a little at the tail if
you try to go too far with it.

Try Thread Heaven. I really like it, and it seems to help keep it moving
smoother and less kinky.

I usually do one X at a time when I stitch, but have found that the braid seems
to lay flatter when I do across the row and back instead.

Hope all this helps!

Caryn

Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old October 2nd 04, 05:13 AM
Liz Hampton

"Sara Nuernberger" ) writes:
I am stitching the Pixie Dust pattern Boo Crew, and it uses Kreinik braid,
sizes #4 & #8. I'm stitching it on 28 count linen.

I have never had much luck stitching with Kreinik braid. Can anyone give me
some tips that might help me?

snip
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Personally, I have not had any difficulty using Kreinik braid. The
only thing I do, is to use comparatively short lengths. It just is not as
smooth to use as floss.
Jim Cripwell

I've also found that using a slightly larger needle than usual helps ease
the braid through the fabric. The shorter lengths are definitely a big
help.
Liz from Humbug

Old October 5th 04, 04:03 PM
Boohoo1971

Can anyone give me
some tips that might help me?

Move the thread through the eye of your needle every 6 or 8 stitches to keep
the thread from fraying....also if the end of the thread frays, I dip it into
either Fray Check or colorless nail polish, I let it dry a short time, then
pull the end between two fingers so there will not be a glob os stuff on the
end. As to complete a stitch or work half cross and come back, I think that
depends of how the stitches are laid out and what you feel comfortable
with...good luck, Boo
Old October 7th 04, 11:49 PM
Kathy in WA

I get better results if I use only the smallest Kreinki braid no
matter which one they call for on 28 and finer counts. It also helps
to use a larger needle like a #24 to widen the holes, move the needle
down the strand every 5-6 stitches, and stitch Scandinavian style in
rows or columns.

But the best tip is: Use Treasure Braid or Access Comodities instead.

Kathy in WA

Old October 8th 04, 02:59 PM
Caryn

and stitch Scandinavian style in
rows or columns.

Kathy in WA

Are you referring to Danish (where you go across the row and then back)?

English being one X at a time, as the contrast.