Use Dryer sheet for Crazy Quilt Patch

Old September 16th 05, 12:34 PM
She in PA

Default Use Dryer sheet for Crazy Quilt Patch

I don't remember how I found this site but it has a lot of free quilt
patterns and advice and ideas. The one that I hadn't heard of was to use
your used dryer sheets and press them then use them as the base for your
crazy quilt patch. It gives you all the directions. I think the site is
great. Here it is if you want to check it out.

http://www.quilterscache.com/

She in PA

Old September 16th 05, 03:06 PM
Betty in Wi

Won't people wonder what that stuff is when they take our quilts apart a
hundred years from now!!

Betty in WI

Old September 16th 05, 04:17 PM
She in PA

They sire will. They probably will think we bought new ones and used them
for the fragrance and they just got old after washing our quilts. I thought
it was an excellent idea for the used sheets.
She in PA

Old September 16th 05, 04:23 PM
Tina

I don't think anyone would want any of my used dryer sheets in their
quilt. I use them. LOL

When I take stuff out of the dryer, I collect the dryer sheets (when I
can) and put them in a little basket over the dryer. They are great
for cleaning off the top of the dryer, especially where lint dust
collects around the lint filter. I use them to clean around the tub of
the washer and pick up lint from the floor around the dryer. I use
them to dust, they are great dust catchers! I use them to pick up dog
hair along the base boards. I have a dog with a skin allergy at the
moment and he sheds like crazy and it is driving ME crazy. I HATE dog
hair in my house - but the dryer sheets pick it up fantastically.

Anyway, I guess my point is.... my used dryer sheets would be too used
and full of lint dust or dog hair. No one would want THAT in their
quilt! LOL

Tina

Old September 16th 05, 04:39 PM
She in PA

Tina,
You would defiantly have to put some aside just for quilting unless the dog
hair could be instead of batting. Maybe, you came up with a knew idea. You
can piece and quilt at the same time. LOL

She in PA

oups.com...

Old September 16th 05, 04:41 PM
dreamboat

I have been going to this site for about 3 years now.
I have even sent my picture of my wall hanging
to Marcia and she put it on her site. It is seen on the
notions pattern. I love that site.
dreamboat/Dorothy from Texas
http://community.webshots.com/user/dreamboat116

Old September 16th 05, 05:38 PM
Betty in Wi

Actually, I did use one for applique. I think it was a heart.....I cut a
heart from fabric and one from the fabric softener sheet, sewed them right
sides together, slit the FSS and turned it inside out. Perfect heart....if
you can keep the FSS from showing along the edges.

Betty in WI

. ..

Old September 16th 05, 07:16 PM
Julia in MN

I have often wondered about the long-term effect of dryer sheets in a
quilt. A lot of people are concerned about basting spray and the
chemicals that it might leave in a quilt, even though the label says
that it washes out. I'm wondering if the same thing might be true of
dryer sheets and the chemicals in them, because the sheets stay in the
quilt. Just wondering...

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 16th 05, 08:21 PM
Patti

When you have cut the shape from the FSS, Betty, try cutting a sliver
more off all round, to make it a tiny bit smaller than the fabric one.
You can still 'persuade' them together, and it does make the back one
disappear better.
..
In message , Betty in Wi
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 16th 05, 11:52 PM
Lisa Caryl

I am with you, Julia,
Dryer sheets have been around a relatively short time. There is just no way
to know if there is some chemical left behind in the dryer sheets that would
someday damage, or, heaven forbid, cause the disintegration of the crazy
quilt many years from now. I'm sure our foremothers had no idea that using
silks that had been treated with metallic salts would be a bad thing either.
Metallic salts are what cause(d) many silks to "shatter" and disintigrate in
antique crazy quilts.

The other reason I would not use a dryer sheet is that I prefer the
stability of a good muslin. I do a lot of heavy stitching and embellishment
on my pieces. I think that good muslin, along with good basting, help
blocks to lie flat.

Just my thoughts, certainly don't take it as telling anyone what to do.

--
Lisa
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

"Julia in MN" wrote in message
I have often wondered about the long-term effect of dryer sheets in a
quilt. A lot of people are concerned about basting spray and the
chemicals that it might leave in a quilt, even though the label says
that it washes out. I'm wondering if the same thing might be true of
dryer sheets and the chemicals in them, because the sheets stay in the
quilt. Just wondering...

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

"Refurbishing" an OLD quilt -- long story Tia Mary Quilting 0 July 17th 05 07:37 PM
Nice Quilt Story Sk8eraunt Quilting 4 October 2nd 04 03:46 PM
Mini B.C. quilt shop tour shhdesigns Quilting 13 September 15th 04 04:03 AM
I went to a quilt show last Sunday--long Debra Quilting 6 March 26th 04 02:54 AM