Insurance vs. Liability

Old February 11th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather

Default Insurance vs. Liability

I was dealing with someone unknown to me on eBay and bought some amber.
Her attitude was not the best from the start and I also question her
statement set out below my signature.......

I paid by Paypal and as far as I know, they cover losses. I have
already had one parcel go missing, which was not expensive, from a woman
at Etsy.

But when I received the invoice from this "Ambersilver", it stated that
insurance for the US was approximately $1.60.......but for Canada, etc.
it was over $20.00!!!!! The items I bought were only $25 or so, plus
shipping. No way I was doubling the cost!! Beadaholique only charges
about the same ($1.60) to insure goods to Canada....which is a good
thing.

Is this normal?? And to me this is not insurance, but merely
*replacement value* plus (the term *highway robbery* comes to mind,
grin). I am new to ordering things from eBay and am pretty darn sure
that should I not receive these items, I can lodge a complaint with
Paypal.

Can someone verify this? And I have *sat on my hands* in order to keep
from (shall we say) sorting this woman out. It is tough enough getting
things from the US......about 15 days. And anything over $20 is subject
to Customs Duties. She refused to lower it below that, which is her
prerogative, but I certainly won't be dealing with her again!!

Thanks.....Heather in Toronto.

quote----------------------------------------------------
UNINSURED SHIPMENTS: All risk of loss, theft, or damage to any uninsured
shipment rests entirely with you (the buyer). In the event of loss,
theft, or damage to an uninsured shipment, AmberSilver will be unable to
assist in any tracking or recovery and have no recourse for any
reimbursement whatsoever.
------------------------------------

Old February 11th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather

Whoops.....found the invoice and here is the cost to insure $24 worth of
amber......

$29.95 insurance (optional)

Plus $3.95 for first item and $1.99 for each of another 4.

Who in hell would pay $30 insurance for $24 worth of goods??

I am rather ticked off and wonder how often this happens.

Thanks, ladies....Heather

Old February 11th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

Heather -- to answer a question absolutely not in order, I have had
lousy luck with Paypal reimbursing anything. However, after I filed a
claim with them and they denied it, it was Ebay that gave me back my
money. I couldn't prove I had returned the item as I didn't return it
with a tracking number. They gave me, I believe, 75% of my money
back. As the item was over $100, I went for it.

I have taken a couple of hits recently in feedback on shipping and
insurance because I refuse to use it. Insurance is BS as far as I am
concerned -- just more money tossed down the drain. I hate insurance
companies in general, and hate postal insurance. Try collecting it.
Good luck.

So, if a package is lost, I give people their money back. I will
never argue with someone about money. Money is only money -- it is
not worth it.

In terms of process, don't know what you should do to get your money
back but I believe there is a complaint process on ebay where you can
say you didn't receive the item. I know you are new to Ebay. I
should probably call you and walk you through it.

Becki
Old February 12th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather

Thanks so much, Becki. So far, it is all supposition on my part, but I
do not have *warm fuzzy feelings* about this outfit. She is part of a
larger entity from what I can see and the stuff is coming from New
York.....she is in Texas. So who knows. But when people are that
negative, not to mention greedy (insurance of $30???), the hairs do rise
on the back of the neck, lol.

I have only dealt with you, Beadaholique and the Beading Zone and had
nothing but good luck and service with you all. Still waiting on the
Beadaholique things, but they are so super nice to deal with.

We shall see how it goes. I got an email last night saying it had been
shipped (which included all the dire warnings too), so we are looking at
2 weeks probably. Maybe more if Customs is now involved.

I hope you get your things from Canada faster than we do from the US.
Bloody ridiculous, if you ask me.

I am like you with regard to *insurance*.....quite often it is NOT
insurance, but just an extra fee that goes directly into the seller's
pocket and we are none the wiser.

Thanks for answering, my dear.....we shall see how this plays out.

Heather

Old February 12th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling

Becki,

share the eBay knowledge with us all cause I am going thru something similar
and I really don't know what to do about it.

My seller sent out 2 packages the same day, and only one arrived. I didn't
buy the insurance because I know how hard it is to collect on it anyway, so
what is the point. Anyway, I checked the USPS web site and both tracking
numbers from both packages say that the assholes at the USPS tried to
deliver my packages but they were unable so they left me a notice. Well, I
got one package when I was supposed to get it, but never got a single
notice. I called the post office and gave them the tracking numbers and
they could find info on only one tracking number but couldn't even find the
other tracking number in their system and thats from the package thats
missing. I even went down to the post office and inquired about the
tracking numbers, and again only one tracking number could be found (from
the package I received) but the other tracking number is not in their
system.

Sounds to me like the seller sent only one package out that day, and forgot
to include my second order in the package like he was supposed to do.

What are your thots on this and how do you think I should deal with it?

Sterling

:

Old February 12th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Sterling -- I would go back to the seller and tell her the tracking
number for the missing package is wrong, as the post office does not
have that tracking number in their system, and could she please send
you the correct number?

I never assume they are out to get me, but treat them as if it were a
simple mistake. Until proven otherwise.

I hope this helps!!!
Old February 13th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Mj

The US Postal Service does not offer insurance on First Class Mail
International packages. Only Express Mail International can be
insured. To send a small six ounce padded envelope to Canada from the
US by First Class International, the cost would be $2.24 - no
insurance available. If the same package was sent by Express Mail
International, it would cost $22.00, which includes $100 of
insurance. The seller isn't trying to cheat you, but I have to say
her explanation of why the cost is so high for insured shipping to
Canada is sorely lacking in clarity.

If Beadaholique is charging you ANYTHING for insurance to Canada for a
USPS mailed package, then they are making extra money off of you.
They can't get insurance from the Post Office for such mailings.
Obviously they've decided to take the risk and would cover missing or
damaged shipments themselves - at least I hope they would.

If you want to see what the costs are for shipping from the US to any
country, go to the USPS website and look up the info. Here's the page
for the six ounce package referenced above for shipping to Canada:
http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServi...P=0&O=6&sd =1
Shipping from the US to other countries is higher than to Mexico or
Canada, but the website will give you all the information you need.

I deal with questions about USPS insured packages for my international
customers quite often and have to explain to them the incredible cost
of insuring their orders. Before the USPS rate changes of last May,
we could get insurance for some Global Priority shipments, but that
was taken away when the rates were changed.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mj

=================================
Marjean Cline
Halsey Trading Company
eBay ID: ladymorgause
http://stores.ebay.com/Halsey-Tradin...ny?refid=store
=================================

Old February 13th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling

Becki,

I've already been in contact with the seller about this issue, and his
response is to take it to the post office with the tracking numbers he gave
me. Even after I explained to him that they cant find the one tracking
number in their system, he just parrots what the post office has online
about those number. This is all so infuriating!!
I was even going to re-buy the same item again and I asked the seller for a
discount. Only a discount! I didn't ask him to totally replace what I
never got, and his response was that he couldn't give me a discount but he
could waive the shipping cost only - ONLY - if I paid for insurance.

You know, I didn't assume he was out to get me when I ordered those beads.
As a matter of fact, I even ordered another type of beads from him shortly
after but had them shipped to my office instead and I got those.

At the time when I bought those beads, it was on a "buy it now" deal, and I
was also bidding on another set of beads at the same time. His eBay store
says they will combine any purchase and bidding (within a 5 day period) to
cut shipping cost. Well, I won my bid within the time frame and he combined
my purchases so I ASSUMED they would arrive in the SAME package. I have to
ask why would he put them in different mailers when they were being shipped
the same day to the same location. There is plenty of room in one of those
bubble mailers when only 10 small bead caps are in it....... so why break up
the mailing into two mailers when the whole point of combining orders is to
save on shipping???

I just don't get it!

So, what are my options? I've already spoken to the post office and no
luck there. His packages are well marked so I am sure it will be sent back
to him if no one claims it or if it wasn't delivered to the wrong place by
mistake. I paid by PayPal, do I talk to them? do I talk to eBay? Where do
I go from here?

Sterling

Old February 13th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather

Thank you so much for clarifying the US Postal Costs. Ours are not all
that cheap either. I have bookmarked the site you gave me.

I got my package from Beadaholique today (6 x 9 inch brown padded
envelope) and the postage was $2.55 for First Class Mail International,
so that is right. In fact, I have no problem with them at all.....they
have been absolutely super!! And am totally happy with everything they
sent me. It took 13 days to get here, btw.

The Ambersilver woman was advertising low S & H charges of $3.95 plus 99
cents for the rest. It wasn't until I hit Paypal that I found out she
wanted $30 for insurance to Canada (well above the rates you gave me).
And well above the $1.60 she charges US buyers. Then sent me that
*warning* when she notified me they had mailed my items. (G) It was
the huge difference that I was objecting to.

I checked my invoice for Beadaholique and I paid $7.55 for shipping and
handling on a $40 order......not bad, really. Insurance could be in
there, but I know they would resend or reimburse me. Paid about the
same to a Canadian seller near me. I avoid the sellers that charge
horrendous S & H amounts. And I don't bother with insurance either.
Not for small orders. I will take my chances.

Thanks again, MJ......I appreciate your help. I just didn't like her
tone or way of doing business.

Cheers.....Heather

Kilns & Insurance JK@work Glass 26 April 11th 06 02:19 PM
What kind of insurance [email protected] Jewelry 2 July 11th 05 03:18 AM
UK Insurance Charlie Beads 2 July 15th 04 06:21 PM
MY BAD INSURANCE EXPERIENCE ! Nurse Ratched Quilting 0 January 27th 04 12:05 PM
insurance for consignment Joe General Crafting 0 January 3rd 04 04:42 AM