The difference between Tibetan silver vs. Sterling silver ?

Old April 24th 04, 06:48 AM
bk51atwork

Default The difference between Tibetan silver vs. Sterling silver ?

Hi!

I was hoping someone could tell me the difference (if there is one)
between sterling silver & Tibetan silver.

Also,is there a difference in the purity, quality rating and is it
identifiable by a hallmark?

I'm interested in how it effects the quality & value of jewelry.

I've been searching on-line for hours.

Thank you in advance.BK
Old April 24th 04, 05:24 PM
Heinrich Butschal

bk51atwork wrote:

Hi!

I was hoping someone could tell me the difference (if there is one)
between sterling silver & Tibetan silver.

Also,is there a difference in the purity, quality rating and is it
identifiable by a hallmark?

I'm interested in how it effects the quality & value of jewelry.

I've been searching on-line for hours.

Thank you in advance.BK

Sterling silver has a purity of 92,5 percent fine silver.
7,5 could consist of different metals. In most cases it is copper an a
little bit of zinc.
It is produced whole over the world in different qualities and styles.

Tibetian silver is produced in Tibet. There ar no purity or alloy
restictions known.

Best whishes,
Heinrich Butschal
--
www.juwelen.online-boerse.org
www.meister-atelier.de
Old April 25th 04, 04:07 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:24:58 GMT, Heinrich Butschal
wrote:

bk51atwork wrote:

Hi!

I was hoping someone could tell me the difference (if there is one)
between sterling silver & Tibetan silver.

Also,is there a difference in the purity, quality rating and is it
identifiable by a hallmark?

I'm interested in how it effects the quality & value of jewelry.

I've been searching on-line for hours.

Thank you in advance.BK

Sterling silver has a purity of 92,5 percent fine silver.
7,5 could consist of different metals. In most cases it is copper an a
little bit of zinc.
It is produced whole over the world in different qualities and styles.

Tibetian silver is produced in Tibet. There ar no purity or alloy
restictions known.

*Some* Tibetan silver has more silver than sterling, but you shouldn't
buy it by that, you should buy it because you like the way it looks.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old March 26th 08, 09:17 AM
angelic_realm1966 angelic_realm1966 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk51atwork View Post
Hi!

I was hoping someone could tell me the difference (if there is one)
between sterling silver & Tibetan silver.

Also,is there a difference in the purity, quality rating and is it
identifiable by a hallmark?

I'm interested in how it effects the quality & value of jewelry.

I've been searching on-line for hours.

Thank you in advance.BK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilee J. Layman View Post

wrote:

bk51atwork wrote:

[...]

Hi,I was wondering the same thing and did a little research and found a very informative advisory on E-Bay. I think mabee you should take a look at it. Take care and God Bless
http://reviews.ebay.com/Tibetan-Silv...00000003804484
angelic_realm1966