Mono filament thread (also known as demon spawn)

Old May 6th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Mono filament thread (also known as demon spawn)

I was working with "invisible" thread the other day and I'm certain
the air above me was blue. You know how the stuff tangles around the
spool holder and sticks to the spool and generally won't behave? Well,
my son walked in and watched for a minute or so and left the room and
came back about 15 minutes later and fixed the problem forever. I was
working on my Janome 6600, which has two upright thread holders. He
took the spool of demon spawn thread, popped it onto a little gizmo he
had made and hung it from the thread holders. Wow. The spool spins
freely and the thread comes off the spool just right. No more tangles
or sticking places or nasty swearing.

I told him I wanted a free standing one for use with my other machines
and he says he'll have one in a couple days. Wow. My boy..... making
Mom proud. LOL

Sunny

Old May 6th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

Some miracle!
I gave up using monofilament. Even with a thread stand, tension
adjustments, etc., it snarled up.

Nann

Old May 6th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Sunny, I'm wondering why you are having such a bad time of it. The filament
I love is Invisafil. The bobbins are run very slowly. I put a drinking
straw over the spindle to make it taller so the spool can't jump the track.
Other than that, no problems. (She said as the monofilament thread crept
out of the thread drawer and strangled her.) Polly

"Nann" wroteSome miracle!

Old May 6th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I was taught to put the spool of invisible thread in a baby food jar
behind my machine and thread it through the tiny circle of a safety
pin taped to the spool spindle. It works fine for me.
Old May 7th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
heidi (was rabbit2b)

Sunny, I've used Superior's MonoPoly for a while and (cross fingers,
knock on wood) not had problems, other than trying to see the stuff to
thread a needle!

The MonoPoly seems more flexible to me than the others I've tried,
which might also have something to do with it. I like it because it's
polyester rather than nylon so less susceptible to melting.

Even so, I'd still love to see what your son came up with!

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old May 7th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

For many years I have used a "homemade" thread holder made by cutting off
the bottom off a 2 ltr soda bottle. I thread the spool from inside the
bottle out through the top and then onto my SM, or serger. I love this with
my cones, and for the regular spools of thread that I let roll on their
side. I've even used this to use the thread off bobbins. HTH
Barbara in SC

Old May 7th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Sunny wrote:
I was working with "invisible" thread the other day and I'm certain
the air above me was blue. You know how the stuff tangles around the
spool holder and sticks to the spool and generally won't behave? Well,
my son walked in and watched for a minute or so and left the room and
came back about 15 minutes later and fixed the problem forever. I was
working on my Janome 6600, which has two upright thread holders. He
took the spool of demon spawn thread, popped it onto a little gizmo he
had made and hung it from the thread holders. Wow. The spool spins
freely and the thread comes off the spool just right. No more tangles
or sticking places or nasty swearing.

I told him I wanted a free standing one for use with my other machines
and he says he'll have one in a couple days. Wow. My boy..... making
Mom proud. LOL

Sunny

YOu are are not going to believe it but I have to say my 6600 doesn't
have a lick of problem with the clear thread. There are a couple of
things that might have helped. The machine actually comes with a 'sock'
kind of net you can use. There are spool caps that help with some types
of spools. I have a spool of sulky on the machine now with the spool
cap thingy and have great luck. There is also an 'Ask Jan' spot on the
Jamone page that can be helpful. Glad your ds is so helpful. That is
really neat. Give him a hug from all the old gals. : )
TAria

Old May 7th 09, 12:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

I wish I had a sewing machine genie in my house.

Musicmaker

Mono canvas v . . . lewmew Needlework 10 August 2nd 06 02:42 AM
Kreinik pearl blending filament Sara L. Needlework 11 October 19th 05 05:02 PM
MONO Y MONO SNIGDIBBLY Quilting 20 May 22nd 05 05:25 AM
A question about blending Filament Ann Needlework 6 March 13th 04 01:38 AM
[email protected] biig Beads 1 January 27th 04 10:33 PM