OT What was your earliest memory?

Old August 13th 03, 03:19 PM
Karen_AZ

Default OT What was your earliest memory?

Wow, Kathy, another member of the "Old Lady Shoe Club". I was born with
"congenital hips" (Dad called me Ruby Swivel Hips as a kid) and had to wear
those awful klunky shoes til I was 6. I wasn't allowed sneakers til I was 7.
I used to hate recess because of the teasing.

My earliest memory is flying. My parents had a Piper Tripacer, and we would
take weekend trips all over the east coast. Lots of trips to Ocean City NJ
(the airstrip is on the bay and it's a 3 minute walk to the beach), as well
as Montauk Point on Long Island, Williamsburg VA, Nags Head NC, Bar Harbor
ME, and some little town in NH that has about 6 inches of "beach". G I
remember flying home after dark, watching the moonglow on the wing, and
getting up on my knees to peek out the window and seeing a creek that looked
like a silver ribbon in the moonlight. I remember watching thunderstorms in
the distance and seeing the whole cloud light up. (And my mom wonders why I
love thunderstorms. LOL)

My first day of school I was excited and Mom was weepy. I wore a red
corduroy skirt and a navy blue short-sleeve sweater with white flowers on
vines embroidered over it. (I don't remember but there's a picture of me in
that outfit on my Mom's "blackmail wall.") I had one long braid down my back
and barettes on the side with scotty dogs. I was nervous until I met my
teacher. She was older (LOL probably 40) with graying brown hair and bright
blue eyes. Her voice was soft and she smelled of lavender. Thinking back she
was truly amazing, because with a room full of wild 5 year olds she never
ever raised her voice.

I'll have to consult with DD and DS about their memories but they're still
snoozing, enjoying their last day of summer vacation.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old August 13th 03, 04:15 PM
Sjpolyclay

Wow, Kathy, another member of the "Old Lady Shoe Club".

me too--born with right foot twisted around, I had to wear horrid shoes with
metal "cookies" in them till I was 10 or so. Forgot all about it till I was
taking ballet in college and couldn't figure out why that foot was not doing
what it was supposed to towards the "enpointe" thing and my mom reminded me.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old August 13th 03, 07:30 PM
Deirdre S.

I love the idea of one's earliest memory being of flying! And your
description is wondrous...

Deirdre

Old August 14th 03, 05:27 AM
Dr. Sooz

My earliest memory was at 2 years old. I was hiding under the card table that
was temporarily set up in the living room, while my mom was in the bathroom,
happily, yet furtively, scribbling away in my Cat In The Hat book with a red
pencil. (I knew better.)

I still have the book.
~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
I'm not a hamster, and life's not a wheel. --Sooz
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old August 22nd 03, 05:28 PM
Deirdre S.

I can remember feeling that way, too...

Deirdre

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 05:27:08 GMT, Kalera Stratton
wrote:

Two: I can't talk, but I know what people are saying and I have things I
want to say. I am angry and frustrated because my body won't cooperate
by letting me verbalize, and I burst into tears.

Old August 22nd 03, 06:58 PM
Dr. Sooz

YES! I knew it! I always see that look on a baby's face, and I tell them,
"It's okay, you'll be able to talk soon. It's okay. You poor little thing."

Two: I can't talk, but I know what people are saying and I have things I
want to say. I am angry and frustrated because my body won't cooperate
by letting me verbalize, and I burst into tears.

~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A through Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html
Old August 22nd 03, 06:59 PM
Dr. Sooz

Kalera, you are a unique and wonderful soul on this earth. I love it.

One: my sisters are laughing at me because of the way I crawl, butt
stuck up in the air.

Two: I can't talk, but I know what people are saying and I have things I
want to say. I am angry and frustrated because my body won't cooperate
by letting me verbalize, and I burst into tears.

Three: Mom is changing my diaper, and I realize that I could help her by
putting my legs in the hair so she doesn't have to hold them up. She
praises me and I am proud of myself.

~~
Sooz
-------
Old August 22nd 03, 08:42 PM
Deirdre S.

Autistic kids often are ... if he's creating 'containment' for himself
by going to his room to yell, he's doing something adaptive of his own
free will. At that age, that's pretty encouraging, IMO.

Deirdre

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:38:10 -0700, vj wrote:

he's incredibly bright, but autistic.

Old August 22nd 03, 10:23 PM
Mary Rurup

that's why with some groups, they are teaching the children to sign. A
child (hearing or deaf) will sign to deaf parents at about 9 months old,
give or take, basic signs (like bottle).

Mary

--
Joy multiplies when it is shared among friends, but grief diminishes with
every division. That is life.
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:58:14 -0400, Dr. Sooz wrote
(in message ):

YES! I knew it! I always see that look on a baby's face, and I tell

them,
"It's okay, you'll be able to talk soon. It's okay. You poor little

thing."

My DD learned to talk very, very early (full sentences at well under a

year
old). Before she was able to articulate, she'd hoot and grunt and make

all
sorts of nonsensical noises, along with much finger pointing and serious
expressions. We didn't know what she was saying, but she was very

determined
about whatever she was telling us.

I often wonder if her early verbal ability is the reason she didn't have

"the
terrible twos" or tantrums of any kind. (Well, she had one tantrum. I

told
her "I don't need to hear this," and walked away. She never had one

again)

I suspect that a lot of tantrums are simply pent up frustration at not

being
able to get the simplest messsage across.

Kathy N-V