conversion DMC to Marlitt

Old February 1st 04, 06:51 PM
Barb Krosney

Default conversion DMC to Marlitt

Hi People,

Hope you can all help me. I'm going to do some Hummingbird patterns and want
to change the regular plain DMC color to shiny Marlitt (or equivilent). I've
searched the internet for a conversion chart, but the only one I can 'find'
is the DMC site that doesn't work any longer.
Can anyone help!!??
Thanks
Barb

Old February 1st 04, 07:14 PM
Jenn Liace

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:51:22 GMT, "Barb Krosney"
wrote:

Hope you can all help me. I'm going to do some Hummingbird patterns and want
to change the regular plain DMC color to shiny Marlitt (or equivilent). I've
searched the internet for a conversion chart, but the only one I can 'find'
is the DMC site that doesn't work any longer.
Can anyone help!!??

This site is actually a conversion from Anchor Martlitt TO DMC Rayon,
but you can search for a string of characters (i.e. 310) and find it
in reverse. And IIRC, DMC numbers their rayons to match their
cottons, just adding a 3 or a 30 to the begining to end up with a 5
digit number.

http://www.needlecraft.biz/marlitt_dmcart1008.htm

Jenn L.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Current projects:
Lady Scarlet's Journey (Just Nan)
Simply Sensational January Calendar (Mill Hill)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old February 1st 04, 10:29 PM
Ellice

On 2/1/04 1:14 PM,"Jenn Liace" posted:

wrote:

Hope you can all help me. I'm going to do some Hummingbird patterns and want
to change the regular plain DMC color to shiny Marlitt (or equivilent). I've
searched the internet for a conversion chart, but the only one I can 'find'
is the DMC site that doesn't work any longer.
Can anyone help!!??

This site is actually a conversion from Anchor Martlitt TO DMC Rayon,
but you can search for a string of characters (i.e. 310) and find it
in reverse. And IIRC, DMC numbers their rayons to match their
cottons, just adding a 3 or a 30 to the begining to end up with a 5
digit number.

http://www.needlecraft.biz/marlitt_dmcart1008.htm

Jenn, I think you're right about DMC just adding something at the beginning.
But, if going from DMC to Marlitt, the easiest thing is to go from DMC to
Anchor floss, then to Marlitt. There are several conversion sites for DMC to
Anchor - easy google for them.

The alternative to Marlitt is Rainbow Gallery Patina - which is also rayon.
And then there are the EdMar rayons.

Good luck,
ellice

Old February 1st 04, 11:22 PM
Karen C - California

In article u0bTb.355878$JQ1.203118@pd7tw1no, "Barb Krosney"
writes:

change the regular plain DMC color to shiny Marlitt (or equivilent).

DMC does rayon, which is similar to rayon. I think there are 100 colors of
rayon (versus 400 of floss). The last part of the color number is the same as
DMC, with a 3 or 30 added to the front. So DMC700 would be rayon 30700.

FuzzyPenguinShop @ aol.com stocks the DMC rayon. If you e-mail them the plain
DMC list, they'll be happy to change it over to rayons for you; just give them
permission to substitute something close if there isn't an exact conversion.

Since you're already changing to rayon, let me lure you even further astray ...
YLI Kaleidoscope, a hologram thread, available in silver, gold, green, blue and
pink. I add that to my hummingbirds so they look realistic. Fuzzy's doesn't
carry that, but Stitchers-Paradise.com does.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old February 2nd 04, 02:44 AM
Ellice

On 2/1/04 5:22 PM,"Karen C - California" posted:

writes:

change the regular plain DMC color to shiny Marlitt (or equivilent).

DMC does rayon, which is similar to rayon. I think there are 100 colors of

OK - I can't resist - doing rayon - is that like, ummmmmm, oooops - better
not go there! Assume you were thinking ahead, and typing behind, or
something - and meant DMC rayon is similar to Marlitt??? Whatever - it's all
hateful ;^)

Ellice - reminding whomever to remember their damp sponge - for dampening
the rayon before stitching - it helps

Old February 2nd 04, 03:33 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Ellice writes:

Assume you were thinking ahead, and typing behind, or
something - and meant DMC rayon is similar to Marlitt?

Functioning on about 3 hours sleep. Yeah, rayon is Marlitt is rayon.

Old February 2nd 04, 03:37 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Ellice had some very interesting things to say about
conversion DMC to Marlitt:

writes:
change the regular plain DMC color to shiny Marlitt (or equivilent).

DMC does rayon, which is similar to rayon. I think there are 100 colors of

OK - I can't resist - doing rayon - is that like, ummmmmm, oooops - better
not go there! Assume you were thinking ahead, and typing behind, or
something - and meant DMC rayon is similar to Marlitt??? Whatever - it's all
hateful ;^)
Ellice - reminding whomever to remember their damp sponge - for dampening
the rayon before stitching - it helps

Hmmm, rayon doesn't give me much more trouble than regular floss.
Old February 2nd 04, 04:04 PM
Ellice

On 2/1/04 9:37 PM,"Seanette Blaylock"
posted:

Ellice had some very interesting things to say about
conversion DMC to Marlitt:

hateful ;^)
Ellice - reminding whomever to remember their damp sponge - for dampening
the rayon before stitching - it helps

Hmmm, rayon doesn't give me much more trouble than regular floss.

Interesting! I know so many people who have problems with rayon tending to
kink, or want to be static-y, and then it starts to fray/unravel if it's too
long a piece. Maybe something to do with environment (humidity, etc)

I don't want to think you have nearly the issues with floss that my local
stitchin' pals have with rayon. I'm betting you've never tried the EdMar
stuff used most often in Brazilian embroidery - now that will be hateful
doing regular stitchin ;^)

Ellice

Old February 2nd 04, 11:32 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Ellice had some very interesting things to say about
conversion DMC to Marlitt:

Hmmm, rayon doesn't give me much more trouble than regular floss.

Interesting! I know so many people who have problems with rayon tending to
kink, or want to be static-y, and then it starts to fray/unravel if it's too
long a piece. Maybe something to do with environment (humidity, etc)
I don't want to think you have nearly the issues with floss that my local
stitchin' pals have with rayon. I'm betting you've never tried the EdMar
stuff used most often in Brazilian embroidery - now that will be hateful
doing regular stitchin ;^)

My experience with rayon floss is limited to DMC. :-)
Old February 3rd 04, 03:47 AM
CrossStitchGal

Ellice - reminding whomever to remember their damp sponge - for dampening
the rayon before stitching - it helps

If you stretch the strand before you thread it up you don't need to dampen it.
Stretching it tames it and does not reduce the sheen at all.
--
Happy Stitching!
Kathy :-)

REQUEST: Conversion Chart (or file) DeliciousTruffles Needlework 11 January 22nd 04 12:32 AM
Conversion? gwynedd Needlework 4 January 3rd 04 05:17 AM
Desperate for Dimensions to DMC conversion Chart ALL Colors Geocat Needlework 9 December 25th 03 03:59 PM
Conversion assistance? Jenn Liace Needlework 18 September 22nd 03 11:18 PM
Olympus floss - conversion chart Kathy Nichols Needlework 1 September 9th 03 03:51 PM