A polishing disk from a washing machine

Old February 8th 04, 01:04 PM
Hans Paijmans

It Works!

http://paijmans.net/Glas/slijptafel.html

I want to thank all the people who gave good counsel.

Paai

(BTW: let us /not/ discuss here the remarks on the use
of english in the html-page).

Old February 8th 04, 07:58 PM
David Billington

Looks good i'll keep it in mind when the washing machine gives up. So
far 1 set of brushes, drum bearings, gaiter but still going strong
otherwise. I have used this type briefly but prefered a diamond wheel.
Worked better and no need to replenish carburundum. I don't know what a
50cm disc of the self adhesive diamond sheet would cost, it might be
prohibitive, might not. You could enquire with people who use the
horizontal bonded diamond wheels if you know any. Talking to someone in
the UK who uses them they are worth little or nothing for scrap once the
surface wears through. They will typically go in one place and no longer
usable professionally but for amateur use would still be usable.

Old February 8th 04, 08:36 PM
paai

David Billington wrote:
Looks good i'll keep it in mind when the washing machine gives up. So
far 1 set of brushes, drum bearings, gaiter

Gaiter...? As in Homni soit qui mal y pense???

otherwise. I have used this type briefly but prefered a diamond wheel.
Worked better and no need to replenish carburundum. I don't know what a
50cm disc of the self adhesive diamond sheet would cost, it might be
prohibitive, might not. You could enquire with people who use the

My wife reports that the professionals (Tetterode glas) use wheels
not unlike mine, with glass disks and carborundum.

You know, I really don't know anything of glass and actually I don't
want to. It is the tinkering and improvising with cheap stuff that
really turns me on :-)

I mean, if her profession would have been air liner pilot, I'd as happily
build jet planes from discarded cigarette lighters or so...

Paai

Old February 8th 04, 10:39 PM
David Billington

paai wrote:

David Billington wrote:

Looks good i'll keep it in mind when the washing machine gives up. So
far 1 set of brushes, drum bearings, gaiter

Gaiter...? As in Homni soit qui mal y pense???

You've completely lost me now my french is not that good but far better
than my dutch. The gaiter is the rubber bit between the outer drum and
body just inside the door. My dutch references are not that good so
online translations give "slobkous" or "beenkap" and I am not sure if
either is really correct. What is the full french reference as it may
make more sense and enlighten me. Briefly an ex, now best friend, is
half dutch and I have been unofficailly adopted by her family. They all
speak good english but as I go to see them in Holland it is reasonably
expected that I try to speak dutch which I am trying to learn. I am
going to be in Holland from the 19th to 24th February in or about
Monfoort near Utrecht. Are you nearby.

otherwise. I have used this type briefly but prefered a diamond
wheel. Worked better and no need to replenish carburundum. I don't
know what a 50cm disc of the self adhesive diamond sheet would cost,
it might be prohibitive, might not. You could enquire with people who
use the

My wife reports that the professionals (Tetterode glas) use wheels
not unlike mine, with glass disks and carborundum.

I used some diamond wheels at Dartington where their cold working set-up
was really good. Grinding and various stages of polishing but that would
be expected considering what they do.

You know, I really don't know anything of glass and actually I don't
want to. It is the tinkering and improvising with cheap stuff that
really turns me on :-)

What do you actually do for a living. I program windows software for the
desktop and CE although I trained in mechanical engineering hence the
interest in your grinding wheel and will become more apparent when I
send the web site link of my metal projects related to glass for my
glass blowing interests.

Old February 8th 04, 11:23 PM
Javahut

"paai" wrote in message
David Billington wrote:
[...]

Having just said that, you and others of the same persuasion may just enjoy
this site and the unique work done by this fellow.
http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/

I know I do.

Old February 9th 04, 07:04 AM
paai

David Billington wrote:
paai wrote:

David Billington wrote:

Looks good i'll keep it in mind when the washing machine gives up. So
far 1 set of brushes, drum bearings, gaiter

Gaiter...? As in Homni soit qui mal y pense???

You've completely lost me now my french is not that good but far better
than my dutch. The gaiter is the rubber bit between the outer drum and
body just inside the door. My dutch references are not that good so
online translations give "slobkous" or "beenkap" and I am not sure if
either is really correct. What is the full french reference as it may
make more sense and enlighten me.

I think both dutch words are /not/ 'gaiters', and I never heard 'gaiter'
in your sense either. A gaiter is a small band of lace that keeps up
women stockings - well, gentlemen wear them too, but not of lace, generally.

The french bit means 'Woe to him who thinks evil of this' and belongs to
the highest English order: 'the order of the gaiter'
..

Briefly an ex, now best friend, is
half dutch and I have been unofficailly adopted by her family. They all
speak good english but as I go to see them in Holland it is reasonably
expected that I try to speak dutch which I am trying to learn. I am
going to be in Holland from the 19th to 24th February in or about
Monfoort near Utrecht. Are you nearby.

Not really: I live in the south. But if you want to visit glass shops
in and around Amsterdam I can get you addresses and try to get you
introductions.

What do you actually do for a living. I program windows software for the
desktop and CE although I trained in mechanical engineering hence the
interest in your grinding wheel and will become more apparent when I
send the web site link of my metal projects related to glass for my
glass blowing interests.

I am assistant professor in computer linguistics at Tilburg University
and a Linux user from 1992.

Paai

Old February 9th 04, 07:09 AM
paai

Javahut wrote:
"paai" wrote in message

Having just said that, you and others of the same persuasion may just enjoy
this site and the unique work done by this fellow.
http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/

This guy, you are certain that he has no dutch roots, more in particular
/southern/ dutch (Brabant) roots? The shed, the beer and the weird
talent for improvisations all point strongly in our direction.
Old February 9th 04, 09:10 AM
David Billington

paai wrote:

David Billington wrote:

paai wrote:

David Billington wrote:

[...]

.

Ahh the word in question is garter not gaiter as in "Order of the
Garter" and a garter holds up a womans stockings. Apart from that I
can't and don't want to criticise your english.

Briefly an ex, now best friend, is half dutch and I have been
unofficailly adopted by her family. They all speak good english but
as I go to see them in Holland it is reasonably expected that I try
to speak dutch which I am trying to learn. I am going to be in
Holland from the 19th to 24th February in or about Monfoort near
Utrecht. Are you nearby.

Not really: I live in the south. But if you want to visit glass shops
in and around Amsterdam I can get you addresses and try to get you
introductions.

You could send some information. I am not sure if i'll be going to
Amsterdam this trip, more likely just in and around Utrecht.

What do you actually do for a living. I program windows software for
the desktop and CE although I trained in mechanical engineering hence
the interest in your grinding wheel and will become more apparent
when I send the web site link of my metal projects related to glass
for my glass blowing interests.

I am assistant professor in computer linguistics at Tilburg University
and a Linux user from 1992.2

Not to difficult to find either. First hit on google with "computer
linguistics " was Tilburg. May explain your apparently excellent
language skills.

Paai

Old February 9th 04, 11:59 AM
paai

David Billington wrote:

Ahh the word in question is garter not gaiter as in "Order of the
Garter" and a garter holds up a womans stockings. Apart from that I
can't and don't want to criticise your english.

Sometimes I wonder what happens in my head when I make mistakes
like that... No, really. 55 is a bit young for Alzheimer to set in.

You could send some information. I am not sure if i'll be going to
Amsterdam this trip, more likely just in and around Utrecht.

I know of no glass studios in the vicinity of Utrecht. Those that
I know of are in Haarlem, Amsterdam, Haarlem, Eindhoven, Groningen,
Drente and Zuid Limburg. You may be interested to know that my
brother-in-law is Peter Bremers, a rather succesfull glass artist;
he lives in Zuid Limburg.

But Amsterdam is very near Utrecht, by train preferably. Tetterode
is on confortable walking distance from a railwaystation (forgot which
one). Richard Price is technical manager there. Yvonne Trossel has a
studio in Haarlem.

http://www.tetterodeglas.nl/
http://home.wxs.nl/~marcel.tettero/A...erodeglas.html

I am assistant professor in computer linguistics at Tilburg University
and a Linux user from 1992.2

Not to difficult to find either. First hit on google with "computer
linguistics " was Tilburg. May explain your apparently excellent
language skills.

The irony of fate... I am quoted as one of the most skilled english
writers in our faculty, and I am very active in pressing my students
to write in english. And also I'm the one who is most opposed to the
introduction of english as official language for our university
(unsuccesfully).

Old February 10th 04, 02:22 PM
David Billington

paai wrote:

David Billington wrote:

Ahh the word in question is garter not gaiter as in "Order of the
Garter" and a garter holds up a womans stockings. Apart from that I
can't and don't want to criticise your english.

Sometimes I wonder what happens in my head when I make mistakes
like that... No, really. 55 is a bit young for Alzheimer to set in.

You don't look that old from the picture on the university of Tilburg site.

You could send some information. I am not sure if i'll be going to
Amsterdam this trip, more likely just in and around Utrecht.

I know of no glass studios in the vicinity of Utrecht. Those that
I know of are in Haarlem, Amsterdam, Haarlem, Eindhoven, Groningen,
Drente and Zuid Limburg. You may be interested to know that my
brother-in-law is Peter Bremers, a rather succesfull glass artist;
he lives in Zuid Limburg.

Now I would like to see Peter Bremers in action. It looks like has has
been near me if he has blown with Neil Wilkin at Frome. I think the
stuff has has done which can be seen at Gallerie l'Eclat du Verre is
gorgeous,

But Amsterdam is very near Utrecht, by train preferably. Tetterode
is on confortable walking distance from a railwaystation (forgot which
one). Richard Price is technical manager there. Yvonne Trossel has a
studio in Haarlem.

http://www.tetterodeglas.nl/
http://home.wxs.nl/~marcel.tettero/A...erodeglas.html

Tetterodglas looks to do more architectural glass, but still
spectactular. I am more into blowing. Do they allow the public in, if so
I may drop in for a look if in Amsterdam.