acid wash

Old March 18th 04, 03:18 AM
jk

Default acid wash

Anyone use this technique? It's used on alot of the older bent panel
shades. The etching cream is too streaky, and an acid wash is what I've seen
leave a very smooth uniform dull surface. What's used, and what's the
procedure?

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old March 18th 04, 03:26 AM
Moonraker

"jk" wrote in message
Anyone use this technique? It's used on alot of the older bent panel
shades. The etching cream is too streaky, and an acid wash is what I've

seen
leave a very smooth uniform dull surface. What's used, and what's the
procedure?

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
www.sinrodstudios.com
Coney Island Memories
www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

Hummmh.....seems to me that there have been many long threads about the
danger of hydroflouric (sp?) acid. You SURE you want to do this?

Is it possible to get your results by using a very fine sandblasting?

Old March 18th 04, 10:02 AM
Gordon Williamson

Anyone use this technique? It's used on alot of the older bent panel
shades. The etching cream is too streaky, and an acid wash is what I've

seen
leave a very smooth uniform dull surface. What's used, and what's the
procedure?

Hummmh.....seems to me that there have been many long threads about the
danger of hydroflouric (sp?) acid. You SURE you want to do this?

Is it possible to get your results by using a very fine sandblasting?

It's may seem a bit strange but we use sandblasting to create the etched
effect and then polish the blasted glass with wet and dry paper to get the
same finish.

Hope this helps....

Gordon Williamson
www.divineglass.com.au

Old March 18th 04, 09:28 PM
jk

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..

"jk" wrote in message
Anyone use this technique? It's used on alot of the older bent panel
shades. The etching cream is too streaky, and an acid wash is what I've

seen
leave a very smooth uniform dull surface. What's used, and what's the
procedure?

--

Hummmh.....seems to me that there have been many long threads about the
danger of hydroflouric (sp?) acid. You SURE you want to do this?

How does it differ from the etching cream? Isn't it the same chemical?

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Studios

Old March 18th 04, 10:37 PM
vic

I've used etching cream with good results. Instead of "painting" I
kind of trowel it on with a paint brush in a thick application. No
streaks.
Old March 19th 04, 09:55 PM
Henry Halem

I think your looking for a product called Jack Frost. It is manufactured by
a company called Seppic, Inc. 201/882-5597, Fairfield, NJ. You will need to
call them to get the number of a distributor. The above number is old so if
it does not work it may be and area code change. Shipping may be pricy as it
is a Hazmat product.

How do you wash swarovski's? Candace Beads 22 May 30th 04 11:33 PM
White wash? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 1 February 27th 04 03:55 AM
For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 08:19 PM