And the beat goes on....(warning! long, rambling post)

Old November 8th 03, 12:31 AM
MargieK

Default And the beat goes on....(warning! long, rambling post)

Well, just packed up and shipped out the family for their final camp
out of the year. Brrrrrr!!

The house is clean and the laundry is almost done so now it's just me
and my beads for two days! Weeeeeeee

I've been wanting to share with you all the things that have been
happening with me, my beads fondle, fondle and my jewelry.g

Had my first craft sale about a month ago and it was a bust. The sale
was held in a local library which was very nice and I was set up in
the reading room with 5 other crafters of varying talents. Nothing
being sold was what I would consider cheesy. The problem with this
sale as most of you with experience know was the clientele. It seemed
that most came with $20 in their pockets and were determined to see
how far that $20 would get them. I had no clue when I committed
myself to this sale that this was how it was going to be but after
reading posts here I was prepared but still disappointed. Lessons
learned, so it wasn't all for naught.

Last Sunday I had my second and last sale for the year. What was I
thinking to do two in 4 weeks? I was stressed but really didn't need
to be. I had a wonderful time with the ladies from the paper guild
and most of the friends and family I invited came out and showed their
support. This was a "by invite only" fine art and craft sale. I made
a profit and some new friends and have been invited to sell whenever
the guild has other sales. And everyone loved my zipper pulls which I
decided at the last minute to make and include. 19 out of 20 were
sold, the last one being sent to my sister-in-law to thank her for
involving and inviting me.

Oh and I met a wonderful polymer clay artist named Nadine Buck. She
made the most wonderful netted gourd necklaces I've ever seen! I
curse myself for not buying one. I know Becki would love them, they
reminded me of her.

Anyway, after that sale I decided I was not going to attempt to sell
jewelry on eBay. Too much competition, too busy and I know I'd get
lost in the crowd. I want to sell my jewelry but how to do it. I
enjoy the process of making creating, designing and selling. I find
great satisfaction in even the smallest of sales my zipper pulls,
it's a validation that I'm doing something I love and someone is
loving what I do. So I looked at my picturetrail albums and decided I
would just point people that are interested to it. Then I discovered
a tutorial for adding PayPal buttons! Whooeee My own little site
until I can afford my own domain and website. I'm still tweaking it
and having fun doing it.

Monday, an online friend of mine asked if I had any jewelry in the $15
to $20 range. She needed something for a school auction. I sent her
a picture and she was thrilled! My first online sale! We belong to a
mommy's group and she bragged me up and gave me some press, the
sweetheart that she is. Now the group is aware of my site. See how
these things come together?

The icing on the cake is that I decided I would get my hair color
touched up. I was 2 months overdue and I was starting to look
freakish with my strawberry blonde, streaked and gray hair. When your
dh asks if it's time to get your hair done, you it's already too late!
LOL For the first time I wore a necklace and a bracelet that I made
to the salon. Shameful person that I am, I took the necklace off lest
it get hair dye on it and left it on the shelf at my stylist's seat.
g When I was ready to leave I asked Michelle (my stylist of 7
years) if she saw my necklace and would she believe I made it? She
was shocked and brought it over for Laurie the receptionist to see.
There was another client there and we all started talking about the
jewelry and crystals and colors. I have been commanded to bring in
all the jewelry I'm interested in selling to the salon. I am not to
wait until my next appointment. I am to pass go and collect my $200.
heheeee Michelle whispered to me that Eddie the owner was a sucker
for sparklies and silver and that he loves to spend money on what he
likes.

And the beat goes on and on and on.....G

A special thanks to Sooz for asking after me and being in my corner
rooting for me.
Phew! I haven't written a post this long in well....I can't remember
when. :=)

--
Margie
http://snurl.com/2u8t

Old November 8th 03, 12:49 AM
Beth

I'm so excited for you! You must always remember to tell yourself this
truth. "I am worthy."

Old November 8th 03, 02:23 AM
Beadbimbo

Awwwwwwwwww! That's great Margie! (Ok, well the library part wasn't, but
the rest was!) I really enjoyed hearing about how well things are going for
you!

Enjoy your two days of beading!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old November 8th 03, 04:57 AM
Karleen/Vibrant Jewels

I love the turquoise NLs, did you MAKE the clasp yourself? Have you thought
about selling them separately? I kind of get tired of the same old styles
Karleen Page/Vibrant Jewels
http://www.vibrantjewels.com/jewelry/welcome.htm
JustBead Auctions
http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=21770
PayPal Merchant Account
https://www.paypal.com/mrb/pal=7XJ98L86Z7S2C

Old November 8th 03, 05:46 AM
Carol in SLC

I have been commanded to bring in all the jewelry I'm interested in selling
to the salon.

YEAH!!! Congrats, Margie!!

Carol in SLC
My latest creation: http://members.aol.com/CarolinSLC/jarvis.jpg
Old November 8th 03, 11:28 AM
Kandice Seeber

Selling handmade jewelry is so hard these days, but it sounds like you are
really on the right track! Way to go!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old November 8th 03, 03:53 PM
MargieK

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 16:49:25 -0800, "Beth"
wrote:

I'm so excited for you! You must always remember to tell yourself this
truth. "I am worthy."

You would make a good counselor. :=) I like that and I will, Beth.

--
Margie
http://snurl.com/2u8t

Old November 8th 03, 04:05 PM
MargieK

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 04:57:33 GMT, "Karleen/Vibrant Jewels"
wrote:

I love the turquoise NLs, did you MAKE the clasp yourself? Have you thought
about selling them separately? I kind of get tired of the same old styles

Yes, I make the beaded clasps. I do custom work. Email me and tell
me what you want, Karleen.

BTW, I had thought about selling the clasps separately but wasn't sure
anyone was interested. Now I know, thank you!

--
Margie
http://snurl.com/2u8t

Old November 8th 03, 04:06 PM
Sjpolyclay

Go! Go, Margie!!!!!
hey, now that you have made an Internet sale, you can write off the cost of
your website on your schedule C at tax time.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com