(OT) Repeat - Amish Sour Cream Apple Pie

Old November 27th 04, 02:15 AM
NanaV

Default (OT) Repeat - Amish Sour Cream Apple Pie

Okay - for anyone that may have missed it, here it is!! I hope those that
made it got good reviews. I hope those that intend to make it enjoy it.

Nana

Amish Sour Cream Apple Pie

1 Cup Sour Cream (NOT low or no fat - they don't bake right)
1 Egg
3/4 Cup Sugar
2 T Flour (yes - only 2 tablespoons)
1/4 t Salt
1 t Vanilla
2 and a 1/2 Cups Peeled Sliced Apples (if you don't have a crank-style apple
peeler, corer, slicer - get one now. It's worth it)
1 Unbaked 9" Pie Shell

Topping

1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup Butter - well chilled
1 t Cinnamon

Beat sour cream and egg together. Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix until
smooth. Stir in apples. Place in pie shell and bake at 400 degrees for 25
minutes. Meanwhile blend together brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon
until crumbly. At 25 minutes, remove pie and sprinkle with topping mix.
Bake 20 minutes more (continuing at 400).

This will make you swear off "plain" apple pie and it is wonderful with ice
cream or whipped cream.

Old November 27th 04, 01:02 PM
DDM

My family and I give this recipe 10 thumbs up...there were 5 of us at the
dessert table! It was very good and very easy to make.

Dee in LeRoy, NY

Old November 27th 04, 02:16 PM
Debi Matlack

Thank you for posting this again. I thought I had saved it to my hard
drive... but who knows what I did with it. *G*
--
Debi

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Old November 27th 04, 03:45 PM
pami

This sounds so good!! I watched Paula Deen make a pie on TV and she said in
the South they put cheddar cheese on it. I've never tried that...I think
cheddar and I think Macaraoni and Cheese. Anybody ever make that Mock Apple
Pie using Ritz Crackers?
Pami

Old November 27th 04, 04:59 PM
Julia in MN

I've made French apple pie (regular apple pie with a crumb topping
instead of a top crust) and then put small slices of cheddar cheese on
the top after taking it from the oven so that they melted a bit into the
topping. Yum!

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 27th 04, 06:53 PM
handmaiden

pami wrote:
This sounds so good!! I watched Paula Deen make a pie on TV and she said in
the South they put cheddar cheese on it. I've never tried that...I think
cheddar and I think Macaraoni and Cheese. Anybody ever make that Mock Apple
Pie using Ritz Crackers?
Pami

I've never made that pie, but Wyatt's Cafeteria used to serve it and
it's one of my favorites. Doesn't really taste like apple pie and they
called it cracker pie, but it is fab.
If anyone has a good recipe for this one I'd love to have it!
~handmaiden

Old November 27th 04, 09:35 PM
Butterfly

Made it once when we were down right broke and couldn't afford apples. DH
and I both knew we never would do that again. We had been spoilt on his
Mom's apple pie (no, I don't have her recipe)
Butterfly