'yes' in other languages - it's on topic

Old January 16th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

Default 'yes' in other languages - it's on topic

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:57:22 +0100, Heidi from Germany
wrote:

Hi,
I'd like to embroider the word 'yes' in many languages on a quilt (
it's the elk's quilt on my WIP-Page )
Can you help me with further languages:
So far I have German/English/French/Italian/Russian
TIA
Heidi from Germany

http://home.vrweb.de/~hbquilts/
mail: please remove quilt from address

Japanese: Hai

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 16th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

West Virginia: ayup

--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

Old January 17th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

"betcherbritches" -- rural Texan
Old January 17th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Yeahhh ... Brooklynese.

Yup! .... Virginian

PAT

Old January 17th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

In Korean, it sounds like "ni", what are you using to embroider them?
Can you use non roman characters? If you can't, will you stick to
languages that use them? I can probably locate "ni" in Korean characters
somewhere online and if not I can scan them.

Cheers
Anne
Old January 17th 08, 10:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack[_2_]

"I heard dat!", "I know dat's right!", "Y' damn skippy!" Florida redneck

--
Debi

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Old January 17th 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Heidi from Germany

Thanks for all the help and the funny ones.
I'll probably use some of the 'slang' ones, though
betcherbritches is a bit long :-) And this means really yes ??
I'll post pictures when I finished it.
Heidi

Old January 17th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Heidi from Germany

I'll embroider it by hand, you can see the question to the answer
'yes' on my page:
If you like go to
http://home.vrweb.de/~hbquilts/
then WIPS, then doubleclick on the elk-quilt and scroll down :-)
Heidi from Germany

Old January 17th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Heidi from Germany wrote:

Thanks for all the help and the funny ones.
I'll probably use some of the 'slang' ones, though
betcherbritches is a bit long :-) And this means really yes ??
I'll post pictures when I finished it.
Heidi

Heidi from Germany schrieb:

Heidi, if you take betcherbritches apart, it's really "bet your
britches" and britches is a slang word for pants/slacks or
panties/underwear. In this instance, the britches usually means
underwear -- using the phrase in a conversation would go something like.....
Person A: "Are you going to the quilt show?"
Person B: "You bet your britches I'll be there!"
Of course in conversation, the words in the phrase would be spoken
quickly and would sound like one long word -- betcherbritches. English
is a strange and mystifying language -- what more can a person
say?!?!?!? LOLOL!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old January 18th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Heidi from Germany

Thanks Tia Mary, now I see :-))
I think we have a similar word for panties in German, sounds like
britches, but it's not used anymore.
Heidi
learning a perfect english here ;-))

languages DrQuilter Quilting 31 June 10th 06 04:47 PM
On topic, large sigh, a little shopping advice please ( a littleoff topic too) Cheryl Isaak Needlework 7 November 24th 04 11:24 AM
My Trip to Lake Placid (on topic and some off topic stuff) Cheryl Isaak Needlework 4 July 15th 04 01:06 PM
quilting for today on topic-off topic-back to on topic (and long) CNYstitcher Quilting 2 August 29th 03 06:28 PM
" yarn words" in differenf languages ejdallas Yarn 0 July 11th 03 01:50 AM