New Log Cabin Quilt

Old February 24th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

Default OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:35:01 -0600, Kathy Applebaum wrote
(in article ):

While I'm not guilty of that particular crime, I did often (used
intentionally) mispronounce words as a child. Why? Because I had learned
them from reading. I'd look up the meaning, but the pronunciation guides in
dictionaries mystified me, so I didn't always have the correct pronunciation
stuck in my head.

I was also guilty of learning a lot of words just by context, without
looking them up. A local hospital had a sign that read "Permission to pass
over revocable at any time." For years I wondered exactly what type of cable
a revo-cable was, and why the hospital felt the need to post a sign saying
it was okay to pass over it.

I guess all kids have something like that. I never could figure out how a
hickory stick could play a tune. And David didn't understand why "never" was
a seldom heard word.

Maureen

Old February 24th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

Default OT:Bad English teachers (was OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt)

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:29:17 -0600, Kathy Applebaum wrote
(in article ):

"Sandy" wrote in message

Good for you, Jessamy! My elder DD once had a middle school English
teacher (by no stretch of the imagination was he either an English
teacher or any kind of teacher) who gave a test and graded it
incorrectly.

Boy, does that bring back memories!

My middle school English teacher (who also wasn't a teacher of any kind)
used to make us do book reports. No problem there. We had to start out
saying what kind of book it was -- novel, history, etc. One of the books I
read was called "Words of the Myths", which is a book about words that
derive from Greek and Roman myths. I asked my mom what kind of book it was
and she suggested "philology". I looked the word up and agreed.

I hand in my paper, and it's returned with philology marked as misspelled. I
marched over to the teacher and complained that I knew the word was *not*
misspelled, as I had copied the spelling directly from the dictionary when I
looked it up. The teacher shrugged and said "Oh, I didn't know what it meant
so I marked it misspelled." What an inspiration she was to the young people
of Sacramento.

The one good thing to come from the incident is that I will never forget the
meaning or spelling of philology. *evil grin*

I hate teachers like that. I had a high school English teacher for 2 years
that graded me down because I knew more than she did. It was a big fight to
get me into the honors English track because this teacher kept refusing to
sign the papers for me.

Maureen

Old February 24th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default OT:Bad English teachers

They are "teachers" with a job, not a profession or a
"calling". Sadly there are all too many of them everywhere
today. I loved teaching (adult training courses) but I
would not work in the current school systems and I fear many
who would make inspirational school teachers - the kind we
really need - feel the same.

It is sad to meet a child with a real hunger to learn and to
realise that they are being stifled in their school (or
home) environment. I know a couple who live near me, and
when you take the time to talk to them and to push them to
think and consider you can see the light in their eyes as
they realise what they are capable of.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

((snip))
:

Old February 24th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cheryl & the Cats in OZ

Default New Log Cabin Quilt

On Feb 19, 12:08 pm, "John" wrote:
Well, I just finished my latest quilt. A 66"x 66" lap quilt for my
wife; (the self professed quilting widow). I think it is my best
effort to date. Hope you like it.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...ng/?action=vie...

John

Thanks John I only just logged on to Google to try to catch up on
the posts I have missed recently and I even missed you reply.

Love the LC quilt.

Old February 24th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Boofhead Donuthttp://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

((snip))
:
: I hate teachers like that. I had a high school English
teacher for 2 years
: that graded me down because I knew more than she did. It
was a big fight to
: get me into the honors English track because this teacher
kept refusing to
: sign the papers for me.
:
: Maureen
:

My sister got into teaching, for a few years, and was constantly
frustrated by the other teachers attitude to only working to the
minimum required. She was also one of those people who tried doing
things "differently" than the other teachers would. She was so
successful, she received one of those $25,000 special Mentor Award
grants, that California hands out to outstanding teachers in their
field. The other teachers were so jealous, they shunned her in all the
interchanges they would have, such as the teachers break room. She
finally got fed up with it and bailed out, with much bad feeling on
her part and sense of loss from the administration and her students.
It is very lonely when you challenge the group, and only works if you
are strong enough to be self fulfilled.

John

Old February 24th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

How sad for her. I hope she found a challenge for her
obvious talents elsewhere and that she is now appreciated by
her dedication and enthusiasm.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o
( Y ) ( Y )
Boofhead Donut
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On Feb 23, 9:18 pm, "CATS" wrote:
[...]
: --
:
: Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
: o o o o
: ( Y ) ( Y )
: Boofhead
Donuthttp://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
: catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau
:
: ((snip))
: :

Old February 24th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Default OT: The Congenitally Grammar-Picky (was OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt)

Florida is not known for it's excellence in its schools. It does better in
the weather/beach department though. (please exclude hurricanes)

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

"Megan Zurawicz" wrote in message
My pet horror story in this vein happened to the son of an old HS
girlfriend.

As she's quite literate and had proofed his paper, she was somewhat
baffled
to see how many points had been taken off for spelling, and looked
further.

His teacher had marked "air conditioning" as spelled incorrectly. She
went
to the teacher and asked her precisely what was wrong with the spelling,
and
the teacher insisted that EVERYONE knows the correct spelling is "air
condishunning". Physically presenting the teacher with the dictionary
entry
simply got a response of "well, I admit it's hard to understand how it
could
happen, but obviously the dictionary's got it wrong as well."

Appeals to the principal got "We cannot override the grading of any
teacher
for any reason."

If that's not insanity, I don't know what is.

(The school system in question was in Florida, the grade level was circa
age
10.)

--pig

--pig

On 2/22/07 16:38, in article , "CATS"
wrote:

One girl I tutored had her work corrected
when she was right and the teacher was wrong!

Old February 24th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

That is also a pet hate of mine. Also the pronounciatioin of ask being
pronounced as axed. ACK!

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/poo_de_doo/myphotos

"Megan Zurawicz" wrote in message
My favorite example of that is "off tin". T in "often" has been silent
how
many centuries? when these folks decide to be "cultured-er than thou" and
studiously enunciate it.......

--pig

On 2/23/07 03:59, in article , "Sally
Swindells" wrote:

My pet hate is difficult to describe, but is what I call 'false
gentrification' of the language.

Old February 24th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

that would make for an interesting conversation with the police: oh yes! I
axed him too! (meant as: I asked him as well)

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)

Old February 24th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Default Thank Goodness for Message Blocking was OT: Grammar-Picky

Aaaah, this Thompson child always writes like this. For him a troll is
probably from Billy Goats Gruff. Or maybe he's actually trying to read
Tolkien in his junior high classes.

--
Kay Ahr in NV
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

"CATS" wrote in message
"Edward W. Thompson" wrote

((snip))
:
: With respect to the subject being 'OnT', your reasoning is
bizarre.
: What is it about rec.crafts.textiles.quilting you find
difficult to
: comprehend?

Please feel free NOT to add snide or whiney comments to your

If you don't like seeing OT comments in a "quilting
orum" - and you have constantly made it clear that you
don't - then don't read them. And if you don't agree with
the comments of others either don't reply to them, or at
least try to remain civil (see definition below).

From M-W Dictionary -
synonyms CIVIL, POLITE, COURTEOUS, GALLANT, CHIVALROUS mean
observant of the forms required by good breeding. CIVIL
often suggests little more than the avoidance of overt
rudeness owed the questioner a civil reply. POLITE
commonly implies polish of speech and manners and sometimes
suggests an absence of cordiality if you can't be pleasant,
at least be polite. COURTEOUS implies more actively
considerate or dignified politeness clerks who were
unfailingly courteous to customers. GALLANT and CHIVALROUS
imply courteous attentiveness especially to women. GALLANT
suggests spirited and dashing behavior and ornate
expressions of courtesy a gallant suitor of the old
school. CHIVALROUS suggests high-minded and
self-sacrificing behavior a chivalrous display of duty.

If you are merely amusing yourself by testing how many
people you can annoy enough for them to snap back -
congratulations! You have caught me on a bad day. I have
snapped back (more from exasperation than anger), and you
have goaded me into being as rude to you as you are to this
group. Are you happy?

Message blocking applied in THIS reader too - I should
have remembered when I updated (sigh)!