A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Quilting
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Replace quilt top

Old November 2nd 19, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Replace quilt top

Hi all, I'm new to quilting and have finished a quilt top to replace the fraying one one a quilt that I've had ages. I was wondering if it's possible/ how could I just put the new top over the old one? Thanks!
Ads
Old November 3rd 19, 12:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Replace quilt top

Yes, you could do that -- there are examples of antique quilts where one quilt is used as the "batting" for another. But I would not advise that for a new quilt for several reasons -- you will be adding the weight of the new top and the new backing to the existing quilt; it will be tough to stitch through the new top + old quilt + new backing; it will be even tougher to attach and sew down the binding.

Invest in the batting and make the new quilt. Fold the old quilt so that the nicest parts show and put it on display.

You will be happier.

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 10:38:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi all, I'm new to quilting and have finished a quilt top to replace the fraying one one a quilt that I've had ages. I was wondering if it's possible/ how could I just put the new top over the old one? Thanks!