Yarn ratio reference

Old April 27th 07, 11:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Default Yarn ratio reference

Hi all,

Can anyone here point me to an online reference that gives a
correlation of yarn count (e.g 110/2) to something a little more
understandable (for me) like WPI?

VP

Old April 27th 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Vintage Purls wrote:

Hi all,

Can anyone here point me to an online reference that gives a
correlation of yarn count (e.g 110/2) to something a little more
understandable (for me) like WPI?

VP

What is WPI please VP?

Old April 27th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 27, 10:53 pm, "Bernadette" wrote:
What is WPI please VP?

WPI = wraps per inch. Take a ruler and wrap some yarn around it, the
number of times it can go around inside an inch determines it's
thickness. A very fine yarn will go round lots (e.g. 30wpi), a very
chunky yarn only a few times.

VP

Old April 27th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On 27 Apr 2007 03:07:49 -0700, Vintage Purls
wrote:

Hi all,

Can anyone here point me to an online reference that gives a
correlation of yarn count (e.g 110/2) to something a little more
understandable (for me) like WPI?

VP

http://www.yarnforward.com/yarncount.html

That might get you started. I have an old textiles textbook around
here somewhere with charts for cotton, wool, silk and linen counts.
If I have time this weekend (and manage to remember) I'll dig it
out...
Old April 27th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Vintage Purls wrote:

On Apr 27, 10:53 pm, "Bernadette" wrote:
What is WPI please VP?

WPI = wraps per inch. Take a ruler and wrap some yarn around it, the
number of times it can go around inside an inch determines it's
thickness. A very fine yarn will go round lots (e.g. 30wpi), a very
chunky yarn only a few times.

VP

Thank you VP. I went looking and found these:

http://www.woolfestival.com/articles/WPI.htm

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/68...scription.html

With both of them scroll down to the bottom of the page for the table.
Hope it is what you meant.

Bernadette

Old April 27th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 27, 11:38 pm, WoolyGooly wrote:
http://www.yarnforward.com/yarncount.html

That might get you started. I have an old textiles textbook around
here somewhere with charts for cotton, wool, silk and linen counts.
If I have time this weekend (and manage to remember) I'll dig it
out...

Thanks Wooly, that does get me started.

VP

Old April 27th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 28, 8:15 am, "Bernadette" wrote:
http://www.woolfestival.com/articles/WPI.htm

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/68...scription.html

With both of them scroll down to the bottom of the page for the table.
Hope it is what you meant.

Thanks Bernadette, not quite what I'm after (if the charts had the
yarn count in them too they'd be right on the money though).
Appreciate the help.

VP