RCTQ Directory Vol 11 UPDATE

Old September 30th 04, 02:55 PM
Janet of Gar

Hi Linda,

I know that "terrace" can be used as a substitute for "street,"
but Kate's list seemed like it was in addition to the street name,
hence my confusion.

I grew up with a RR (rural route, not railroad) addy, so I know
about those. I remember one time someone needed a street address
and my Dad managed to figure it out. Not easy to do when the next
place is 1/4 mile down the road and it has an RR addy, too!

This whole thread on addresses is very interesting.

Happy Stitching,
Janet of Gar

"nana2b" wrote in message
Janet, My DH's DGP lived on a street in New York named Wexford Terrace.

It
is quite common for that to be used in an addy there. When I first moved
out of NY I had never seen an addy like RR#3 Box 6. Learn something new
all the time! :-)

Linda

Old September 30th 04, 03:08 PM
Janet of Gar

Thanks for the explanation, Kate.

Still got a question, though. Do you need the
terrace name in your mailing address in order for
the mail to get delivered?

This has been an interesting thread. I don't have much
experience with row houses. We have condominiums
and "town houses" (similar to row houses) here in North
Texas, but British row houses are still different (from what
I have seen on Changing Rooms and other imports).

I guess you can't do any major landscaping in your back garden
if you have no access except through the house.

Happy stitching,
Janet of Gar

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Janet of Gar wrote:

Um, Kate,

Can you define "terrace" as you are using it?

To me, a terrace is a flat spot carved into a hill.
I haven't a clue how it would figure into an address.

Thanks,
Janet of Gar

It's that too... But in house terms it's a row all stuck together, side
by side. Might be in blocks of 4 like ours (we have a 'mid terrace' -
no side or back access) or whole streets of 50 or more all built in a
row with only a wall between each house.

Let me see...

-----------------Street------------------

Fronts of houses
I I I I I I I I
I I I I I I I I-----Row of houses
I_____I_____I_____I_____I_____I_____I_____I
: : : : : : : :
: : : : : : : :
: : : : : : : :
Gardens or back yards

The houses are all joined up. In our case, we have front and rear
gardens but no official access to the rear except through the house.

Semi-detached means the houses are in pairs, and detached means they
don't actually touch the neighbouring houses.

(the name of our street is also a town in South Texas, so I always
taught our girls to say they lived on "town name _Drive_")

Hehehe! Round here quite a few villages have a main street just called
called The Street! Our village has a population of 650 people.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old September 30th 04, 04:51 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Patti wrote:

I had to chuckle at this (kindly - and at myself)
The last couple of days, there have been a few posts I have wanted to
reply to straight away - so I did. *Then* I read on in the thread and
found that my sentiments had already been expressed. So, I know what
you mean Diane. With the time difference, I read mine first thing in
the morning which is night time in the US, so it is a parallel
situation.
Never mind, though. One of these days there will be that little gem
that only you will know and can pass on.
.
In article , Diane F.
writes
My problem is that I work evenings, Most of the questions have been answered
by the time I read the days postings. Not that I have alot of answers as I
am still quite the newbie quilter, LOL! I also don't feel the need to do
the "me too" posts.

Diane F.

Besides that, sometimes the fact that more than one or two people say
the same thing gives it more weight. That can be very helpful!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old September 30th 04, 05:20 PM
frood

Here they name places after what used to be there ... Deer Run... 100
Oaks... Meadow Lane..

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Janet of Gar" wrote in message
nk.net...
Um, Kate,

Can you define "terrace" as you are using it?

To me, a terrace is a flat spot carved into a hill.
I haven't a clue how it would figure into an address.

Thanks,
Janet of Gar

(the name of our street is also a town in South Texas, so I always
taught our girls to say they lived on "town name _Drive_")

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Yup!

Here in the UK the address works for me like this:

Person name
House number and terrace name
Road/street
Village
Postal Town
County
Post code
Country

This is the order I entered it, so it should work. We live in an
isolated terrace on a country lane outside the village away from town!
Town isn't far, but there are fields of sheep, orchards full of fruit
trees, and woodland between us and it.

Old September 30th 04, 06:08 PM
Patti

Just in case Kate is busy ...
Some Terraces, like Kate's, are only part of a road.
So, you have the overall road/street/lane or whatever, with the
'whatsoever Terrace' as just a short part of it.
So, yes, it is necessary.
In a 'strung out' sort of way, it is like having apartments/flats in one
building; the Flat number, building name and street are all essential
parts of the address.
..

In article .net,
Janet of Gar writes
Thanks for the explanation, Kate.

Still got a question, though. Do you need the
terrace name in your mailing address in order for
the mail to get delivered?

This has been an interesting thread. I don't have much
experience with row houses. We have condominiums
and "town houses" (similar to row houses) here in North
Texas, but British row houses are still different (from what
I have seen on Changing Rooms and other imports).

I guess you can't do any major landscaping in your back garden
if you have no access except through the house.

Happy stitching,
Janet of Gar

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 30th 04, 11:49 PM
Kate Dicey

Janet of Gar wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, Kate.

Still got a question, though. Do you need the
terrace name in your mailing address in order for
the mail to get delivered?

Yup! There are several other groups of houses and some singles with
names and no numbers... And just to confuse things further, in our
little group there a

Two blocks of 4 houses each
There are 3 sets of semi-detached houses
The numbers run from 1 to 14, but the semi's are called G***** VILLAS
and the terraced are G***** COTTAGES!
In the middle of the row is a single house with a name...
At one end there is another single house with a name!

This has been an interesting thread. I don't have much
experience with row houses. We have condominiums
and "town houses" (similar to row houses) here in North
Texas, but British row houses are still different (from what
I have seen on Changing Rooms and other imports).

I guess you can't do any major landscaping in your back garden
if you have no access except through the house.

Don't you believe it! No point in building a garage as you'd have to
drive through the house to park the car, but you should see what some
folk have done! And the neighbours who own the paddock at the back and
who have drive access there allow us to do garden things and building
deliveries by arrangement. We cannot arrange formal access because he
naturally wants to retain the integrity of his property as this affects
the value, but we are quite friendly, and the arrangement is good.

Old September 30th 04, 11:51 PM
Kate Dicey

-=-Jennie-=- wrote:

ok easy to see I can't follow simple posting methods... wrong highlighted
topic... sorry guys having a blonde day.

Jennie

I think I get 'greyhair days'...
Old October 1st 04, 12:57 PM
Diana Curtis

Or they say the same thing but in a slightly different, easier to understand
way. Its all grist for the mill. :-)
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)

Old October 1st 04, 02:24 PM
Patti

Oy!
' You saying that I'm difficult to understand? g
Mind your manners, young lady. Respect your (very much) elders, that's
what I say!
..
In article , Diana Curtis
writes