Now what?

Old August 20th 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

Default Now what?

TO the topic: Can any of you suggest how I should start to develop
some hand skills to embroider? Maybe I'm not being clear.

I tried some chain stitches, and found that it is almost impossible to
make them all the same length. g

I do so want to do this. I think I must start somewhere that will not
be discouraging. Is CS the place to start?

TIA

Alex

Why don't you poke around here on the DMC website's blog? http://dmc-threads.com/

Or even just on the DMC website. There's a place to join the DMC club
and they have many, many free patterns.

It really sounds like you are wanting to learn embroidery and truly
the art of this is in practicing.

Mary Corbett's blog, Needle 'N Thread has some terrific tutorials. And
even better, lots of inspiration. http://www.needlenthread.com/

Good luck!

Donna in Virginia

Old August 22nd 10, 10:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 8/20/10 1:41 PM, in article ,
"Fred" wrote:

"Alex Corvinus" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:16:58 -0700 (PDT), "Joan E."
wrote:

OW OW OW OW!!! I got stung right on the tip of my nose by a bee
once. I hope it's feeling much better now.

Quite improved, thank you. Was able to get my WRing back on this am,
so swelling is much reduced. The digit is still warm to the touch, but
residual pain is negligible . I can now type on my laptop without much
difficulty. Just a litle joint pain, for which I'm taking glucosamine
and chondroitin, plus ibuprofen. It was weird. I saw that an empty
plastic juice bottle has bounced out of the recycle bin, so I picked
it up by the neck with my left hand. I did not see the red wasp on the
opposite side of the bottle's neck, but she announced her presence
immediately my stinging me just under the fingernail. I couldn't drop
the bottle AND the wasp fast enough (LOL). No conscious thought was
required; no decisions needed to be made.

Alex, ready to pick up his needles.

Sometimes we do get stung when we infringe on female domains. LOL

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

But Fred, it's male wasps that have have stingers!

Alex says the wasp was a *she* and most males know a female when they see
one so who are we to question his judgement??

Old August 22nd 10, 10:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Alex Corvinus

Alex, ready to pick up his needles.

Sometimes we do get stung when we infringe on female domains. LOL

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

But Fred, it's male wasps that have have stingers!

Alex says the wasp was a *she* and most males know a female when they see
one so who are we to question his judgement??

The wasp was building a nest. Do males to that? She didn't like being
groped. Do males do that? She was exploring sweet stuff around the
neck of the juice jar. Sound like female to me. Didn't mind *too*
much, as males are used to rejection and my finger needed a Benadryl
bath anyway. Speaking of females, the Husky wants to inspect the back
yard. It's almost 5 am, so gotta go.

Cheers,

Alex
Old August 22nd 10, 01:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]

Trouble maker...

Cheryl

Old August 23rd 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Aug 22, 4:55*am, Alex Corvinus wrote:

The wasp was building a nest. Do males to that? She didn't like being
groped. Do males do that?

IME, yes...much moreso than females!

Joan r,d,h!
Old August 24th 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Alex Corvinus

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:26:35 -0700 (PDT), "Joan E."
wrote:

On Aug 22, 4:55*am, Alex Corvinus wrote:

The wasp was building a nest. Do males to that? She didn't like being
groped. Do males do that?

IME, yes...much moreso than females!

Joan r,d,h!

OK, I'll dig out my entomology books. IF it turns out that only male
wasps sting (with modified ovipositors) I'll eat crow, or something.

I heard that at least one other time in history, a male was wrong....
His name is lost.

Alex duck and run
Old August 26th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Alex Corvinus

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:00:37 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

wrote:

On Aug 22, 4:55*am, Alex Corvinus wrote:

The wasp was building a nest. Do males to that? She didn't like being
groped. Do males do that?

IME, yes...much moreso than females!

Joan r,d,h!

OK, the votes are in.

I'll not try to make sly jokes about male stingers and the like.

See:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_male_or_female_wasps_sting

Males may make stinging comments, females actually sting.

Makes sense to any male who has had any interaction with a human
female. But we're lucky. We could be male anglerfish..... EEEwwwww!

But we love you ladies anyway. We're just wired that way, I suppose.

Alex, who agrees with the author of "a walk on the wild side", when he
wrote "If God made anything more beautiful than a woman, he kept it to
himself!"

Amen.

Why was the first woman named Eve? She was the end of Adams' only
perfect day. G