Chemistry basics for potters?

Old October 11th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

Default Chemistry basics for potters?

"DKat" wrote in message
news
-snip-

Glad you are feeling better. If I get any snow over here in Zurich, I will
HAPPILY send it your way! ;-)

How does this glaze behave over or under other glazes? If they have sold
you a glaze that is not maturing at the temperature they claim then bad on
them (you should not have to fire higher than what they say it fires to).
Is there a reason you are sticking with this glaze when it is behaving
badly? The reason I ask these questions is that depending on why you are
keeping this glaze and how it behaves with other glazes - there might be
short term fixes.

All the glazes I use behave very well normally. It is just with this
"beautifier" on top that I get the bubbles. It may be that I am putting too
much on. I am currently making up a bunch of tiles that I will criss-cross
with different thicknesses of glaze and beautifier to have a more accurate
example of what happens with the thicknesses/combinations.

Marianne

Old October 11th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"DKat" wrote in message
news
P.S. I also like this room better because you are more likely to get a
response (even if it is maybe more likely not to be corrected if it is
wrong) and you can easily follow threads. I hate the inability to keep a
thread together in Clayart. I posted your original question there and
never did get a response. There is quite a bit of chatter though on all
sorts of odds and ends I would never want to follow. Still, if you can at
least do searches there, I think you would find it useful and that is
where you would pick up the pearls by the experts. As it turns out
really - most questions you would ever ask have already been asked and the
ones that haven't are usually impossible to answer.

I absolutely agree with you that clayart is a good resource. The trouble is
that it is rather messy to search and you get a lot of things you don't
want. Partly my fault for not putting in the parameters better, but still.
Also, this bubble problem is very specific, so I did want a dialogue - and I
am not about to post over on clayart - got too many places to post already
in different subjects.

But I thank you for posting there for me, and am sorry nobody gave any
feedback.

Marianne

Old October 11th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"DKat" wrote in message
[...]

Back step.... I'm sorry, I totally misunderstood what you were doing. What
is a beautifiers? That completely changes things. When glazes are too
thick you will get bubbling - so if you are layering your glazes and then
putting this last layer on rather thickly I would not be surprised to see
bubbles. Have you taken a needling tool to check how thick your glazes are
(the final product)?

Old October 11th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

"DKat" wrote in message

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"DKat" wrote in message
[...]

What is a beautifier? That completely changes things. When glazes are
too thick you will get bubbling - so if you are layering your glazes and
then putting this last layer on rather thickly I would not be surprised to
see bubbles. Have you taken a needling tool to check how thick your
glazes are (the final product)?

Spelling correction - and - have you tried thinning the beautifier down
quite a bit and doing overlapping brush strokes so you get different
thicknesses of the beautifier to test the application?

Donna

Old October 12th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"DKat" wrote in message

Back step.... I'm sorry, I totally misunderstood what you were doing.
What is a beautifiers? That completely changes things. When glazes are
too thick you will get bubbling - so if you are layering your glazes and
then putting this last layer on rather thickly I would not be surprised to
see bubbles. Have you taken a needling tool to check how thick your
glazes are (the final product)?

Okay. I paint all my glazes on and have them in little pots ready for that
purpose. Dip-glazes take way more space than I have available!

The beautifier, which only works with stoneware 1250 C glazes is an
addition. It is white in color and quite liquid. If I thin it down, the
effect is less as well. This stuff makes the glazes run if it is put on
"too" thick and gives wonderful results.

Never heard of checking final thickness of glazes. Any idea where I can get
hold of that tool=

Hugs

Marianne

Old October 12th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Ok, another idea - try firing the piece once with the first glaze. Then
paint on the 'beautifier' (that is just such a weird term) and fire again.
See what happens in that case.

Old October 12th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Put a scatch in the glaze with your nail. Also your glazes will thicken
over time and need to be thinned. How much glaze do you have and do you
have a scale?

Old October 12th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"DKat" wrote in message
Ok, another idea - try firing the piece once with the first glaze. Then
paint on the 'beautifier' (that is just such a weird term) and fire again.
See what happens in that case.

Good idea. Means firing the piece 3 times in all, though, instead of just
twice.

Maybe I should take hubby up on his offer of buying me a bigger kiln!

Marianne

Old October 12th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"DKat" wrote in message
Put a scatch in the glaze with your nail. Also your glazes will thicken
over time and need to be thinned. How much glaze do you have and do you
have a scale?

I do have to add a little water to them now and then, for sure.

I have close to 40 high-fire glazes and around 12 low-fire glazes - plus
some underglazes colors.

I have an old kitchen scale that I use to weigh my clay before I dump it on
the wheel. It weighs up to 2 kilos.

Happy weekend!

Marianne

Old October 12th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

You so DON'T sound like the amateur you pretend to be...

Donna

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"DKat" wrote in message
Put a scatch in the glaze with your nail. Also your glazes will thicken
over time and need to be thinned. How much glaze do you have and do you
have a scale?

I do have to add a little water to them now and then, for sure.

I have close to 40 high-fire glazes and around 12 low-fire glazes - plus
some underglazes colors.

I have an old kitchen scale that I use to weigh my clay before I dump it
on the wheel. It weighs up to 2 kilos.

Happy weekend!

Marianne

Back to basics Marion Pearcey Machine Knit 4 May 22nd 05 05:00 PM
Beading Basics [email protected] Needlework 5 April 21st 05 03:07 PM
ash glaze chemistry ? Beowulf Pottery 7 March 17th 04 07:36 PM
AD: Taos Tesserae and Strange Glow/Experiments in Chemistry Susan B. Beads 7 November 21st 03 09:52 PM
elma ox-hydrogen chemistry ? ilaboo Jewelry 3 October 28th 03 05:43 AM