Single Fire Cone 6 Oxidation

Old November 6th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Single Fire Cone 6 Oxidation

I have posted this in the single firing group and no one seems home so I'm
reposting here.

I'm about to dive into single firing. The only issue I see is
Oxidation has a rather flat and dull pallet in general. For color I'm
currently using Pinnel's Green, Randy's Red, Honey, and Floating Blue.
The only glaze I may be able to keep is Pinnell's. None of the other's
have enough clay. I will be wanting to move away from using Gerstley
in any case and will be working off of MC6 glazes that have high clay
content. Is anyone else firing oxidation (and cone 6) and are you
satisfied with your color palette and surface?
Thanks, Donna

P.S. The Pinnell's did not work on leather hard. Flaked right off. I
really did have fun glazing and then trimming though so I'm very excited
about going this route. Palette is the only issue for me.

Old November 7th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

One piece of advice that may help you (it's helping me), was made by the
late Andrew Holden, a British Potter who wrote on single fire in the
'80s. This was that up to 3 percent Bentonite can help lower clay glazes
convert.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , DKat
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old November 7th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Thanks Steve. Do you happen to know and to remember how to calculate the
weight of ingredients in a glaze from specific gravity? Once upon a time
(I'm talking decades here) I think I knew....

Old November 7th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

I found this a little while ago, and as I'm mathematically challenged I
kept it.
I quote:

For the mathematically challenged, here's another way to find the weight
of dry ingredients in a 1 litre volume of glaze.
Let's agree to use the letters "SG" for the density of the glaze in
grams per millilitre. I'm told it's politically incorrect to keep
calling it "specific gravity", but it's the same thing.

Now the weight of dry matter in grams, in 1 litre of glaze, will be
1625(SG-1), assuming an average value of 2.6 grams per millilitre for
the dry ingredients.

For example, if the SG of the glaze is 1.3, the dry matter in 1 litre
will be 1625 (1.3-1) which is 1625 x 0.3 or about 487 grams.

Another example: If the SG of the glaze is 1.4, the dry matter in 1
litre will be 1625 x 0.4, or about 650 grams

That didn't hurt much, did it? Not witchcraft. Just Brongniart's formula
rearranged. A lot simpler to calculate than when set out in the usual
way.

John Rogers also wrote a piece on calculating glaze density and
viscosity in Clayart on May 20th this year:

http://www.potters.org/subject93715.htm

Hope this helps

Steve

In article , DKat
writes

Old November 7th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

May I call you a doll? In any case it is much appreciated. Just what I
needed (I want to play with my existing glazes rather than mixing up new
batches). Thanks a lot!! Donna

Old November 11th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Attention Steve Mills (and other singel fire players) Single Fire Cone 6 Oxidation

Ok, I've been doing a lot of playing around. Some glazes seem complete
secure. Others seem fine except for on the lip. This has flaked off. Have
you had this problem and is there any way to recover from it. I'm working
with little tiny bowls right now so they are fairly tolerant. Do I spray
the entire pot to dampen it and then just dip the lip? Do I paint the lip
with corn syrup and then dip? Anyone have experience with this? I want to
fire the pieces to see how the glazes look but as is they would then have to
be thrown out.

Also are you glazing bone dry or leather hard?

Thanks, Donna

Old November 12th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

Dear Donna,

By and large I'm glazing leather hard, but I'm having a problem with one
glaze that's basically granite slurry and I'm forced at the moment to
glaze onto Bisque.

Applied thickly it is amazing, but runs like blazes, and saturates dry
unfired ware. If I try to add clay to it, it looses all its character.
I've tried Bentonite, but no go, also I've added same Gum Arabic in an
effort to get it to hold onto leather hard, but that doesn't really work
either, so I'm between a rock and a hard place at the moment!!

Mark you, if it was all easy it would be boring wouldn't it :-)

Steve

In article , DKat
writes

Old November 12th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
Dear Donna,

By and large I'm glazing leather hard, but I'm having a problem with one
glaze that's basically granite slurry and I'm forced at the moment to
glaze onto Bisque.

Applied thickly it is amazing, but runs like blazes, and saturates dry
unfired ware. If I try to add clay to it, it looses all its character.
I've tried Bentonite, but no go, also I've added same Gum Arabic in an
effort to get it to hold onto leather hard, but that doesn't really work
either, so I'm between a rock and a hard place at the moment!!

Mark you, if it was all easy it would be boring wouldn't it :-)

Granite will do that to you (put you between a rock and a hard place). What
of spraying or brushing corn syrup on the bone dry piece and then
pouring/dipping the glaze? I'm entirely making things up here but it seems
the syrup might cut down the water absorbtion and get the slurry to stick.

How much bentonite changes the character of a glaze. I was about to just by
default add 3% to the glazes I have but I don't want to do that if this is
an issue.

Thanks, Donna

Old November 12th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
Dear Donna,

By and large I'm glazing leather hard, but I'm having a problem with one
glaze that's basically granite slurry and I'm forced at the moment to
glaze onto Bisque.

Applied thickly it is amazing, but runs like blazes, and saturates dry
unfired ware. If I try to add clay to it, it looses all its character.
I've tried Bentonite, but no go, also I've added same Gum Arabic in an
effort to get it to hold onto leather hard, but that doesn't really work
either, so I'm between a rock and a hard place at the moment!!

Mark you, if it was all easy it would be boring wouldn't it :-)

Steve

I just read about heating up the pot before glazing. It says to heat it up
as hot as you can handle. That cuts down on absorption and stress....

Old November 12th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

In article , DKat
writes

Granite will do that to you (put you between a rock and a hard place). What
of spraying or brushing corn syrup on the bone dry piece and then
pouring/dipping the glaze?

The latter could be worth a try. I'm avoiding spraying if possible.

I'm entirely making things up here but it seems
the syrup might cut down the water absorbtion and get the slurry to stick.

How much bentonite changes the character of a glaze.

more than 3 percent I think, but I've never gone over that. The effect
on the Slurry glaze is to diminish the rich green Hare's Fur I get with
the undiluted material, not by much though.

I was about to just by
default add 3% to the glazes I have but I don't want to do that if this is
an issue.

Take care

Steve
--
Steve Mills
Bath

number of facets m4816k Jewelry 7 March 26th 05 10:59 PM
Problems reconciling controller temp to cone: way over fired! tony Pottery 3 June 8th 04 10:09 PM
Floating Blue and pinging CNB Pottery 5 May 10th 04 04:01 PM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM