Reclaiming clay - how-to?

Old July 5th 05, 06:47 PM
Steve Mills

It was a blast. I've never worked so hard in all my life.

Actually the last bit's a lie; I have, but I'm older than the last time!

This is the URL:
http://www.internationalceramicsfestival.org/index.htm
have a good old prowl 'round, it's worth it.

It's much more *Hands on* than NCECA, and all on the one site, with
demo's, Kiln building (I was doing that, there were 9 of them, but only
one was mine!), Lectures, Slide shows, very variable weather, good food,
and 3 bars.

Yours
still smelling of wood smoke
Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Stephanie
Coleman writes
Tell us about the Potters Festival in Wales(UK), please!

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old July 5th 05, 06:52 PM
Steve Mills

In article , barefoot ceramics
limited writes
Yes, do tell - I presume you mean this
http://www.internationalceramicsfestival.org/ ?

... oh and I guess you know that there's a ceramics fair at Tredegar
House, Newport, South Wales, UK, this weekend.

Yes I did, but I'm going to have to pass on that one this year (damn,
damn, damn, damn, damn!)

Steve
Bath
UK

http://www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index....ractions&conte
ntid=n_074304

Old July 7th 05, 01:18 AM
Bubbles

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
Marianne,

Sorry to take so long in responding; I've been at the Potters Festival
in Wales(UK)

Wish I was there instead of here! HEhe! Are you going to post a report?

In article , Bubbles
writes

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
.. .
I dry out all my trimmings etc., then put them into a large bucket with
lots of water and mix it up with a heavy duty paint mixer in a drill, I
also add a bit of Cider Vinegar to help it sour quickly.

I've never heard of using vinegar in clay before. How do you mean that it
sours quickly? How much do you add? Tell me more, please!

The Vinegar promotes the growth of organic matter in the clay, which in
turn grows and dies and decomposes, this adds to the plasticity of the
clay and makes it wonderful to work with.
The Old traditional Potters used to pee on their clay heap to promote
the same effect. I prefer the smell of Cider!
I add a small cupful to a 15 Litre (plus) bucket.

Okay - I get the reasoning. Sounds like a good idea. Can I use any kind of
vinegar, white wine, pure, red wine, ....... hmmmmmm - balsamico clay! Hehe!

Marianne

Old July 9th 05, 11:40 PM
Steve Mills

In article , Bubbles
writes

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
Marianne,

Sorry to take so long in responding; I've been at the Potters Festival
in Wales(UK)

Wish I was there instead of here! HEhe! Are you going to post a report?

Will do this week coming, busy weekend at the moment
--
Steve Mills
Bath