A Favor of you Please

Old August 19th 03, 08:13 PM
TerriLee in WA

Well, even if it didn't amuse Diana, it sure amused me. I scared my
officemates, LOL. Thanks Wendy. I needed a chuckle. That's the most
unique party-coverup-story I've ever heard.

frood wrote:

Oh, my, does that combo bring back memories of a funny story! This ought to
amuse you, Diana. Just don't tell my mom the real truth, ok?

While I was in high school, my parents decided that I was old enough to stay
home by myself, while they went on vacation. So, being an intelligent girl,
what did I do? I threw a party, of course! My parent's had recently
re-decorated the living room, with sea-foam green carpet. My mother was so
proud of that carpet.

Well, over the course of the party, someone (I'll not name her here - this
is archived forever, after all!) spilled a large glass of Hawaiian Punch. I
threw some baking soda on the spill, and decided to think about it the next
day. The next morning, I looked at the spill, and man, was it bad! Off to
the store for carpet cleaner. Then more carpet cleaner. Consulted every
Hints from Heloise book the library had in stock. It was still pink.

Mom and Dad come home. Notice the carpet right away. "oh, the poor dog!" I
said. "he got into the big dog's food, ate it all and moaned and groaned, I
thought he was going to die! So, I gave him some pepto bismol. Then he threw
up! I cleaned it as best as I could, but I'm sorry, I couldn't get the stain
out!" Since the poor dog in question couldn't defend himself, and was, in
fact, prone to eating the big dog's food, then moaning for hours afterwards,
and since there was no other evidence to suggest something else had
happened, my parent's had no choice but to take my word for it. I did make
sure the dog got as many doggie treats as I could afford for the rest of his
life.

To this day, my mother has no idea of the real story. This even came up this
past Christmas! My mother *knows* something else happened, but has no
evidence! Well, until I published it here on the internet that is!
--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
LOL
and just what would I leave that would make you happy? Let me see... pepto
bismal pink and seafoam green hand dyes?
Diana

TerriLee Bishop
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)
;-)
my real email is tlbishop at earthlink dot net
Old August 19th 03, 08:25 PM
Cathy Tyler

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message . ..
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay, and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these .. then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

Diana, What a wonderful topic - and interesting posts! I'm at work
so don't have time right now to go thru all of them, but will check
back for the rest! I came to RCTQ this past Spring - My sister and I
were planning a trip to Germany and one of my chapter mates suggested
this ng as a source on German-quilt-related info. I keep coming back
because I learn a lot, and enjoy the personalities! Also great OT
updates on the winter storms of 2003, and the most recent USA NE
blackout. And just this week I did a search of the group for
Cathedral Window patterns, so I could make samples for my ds and dsil
- with great success! I came to quilting in the early'90s, after I
finally got over the I-can't-possibly-quilt fears. Listened to my
aunts and momma, took a class, and haven't looked back. What a
wonderful combination of problem-solving, color, fabric, and creative
excitement. I've met fascinating women, at all stages of life and
skill, thru our common bond. For my future, I hope to have time to
make at least a few of the quilts still in my head, finish at least a
few of the tops waiting to be quilted, meet at least a few of the
RCTQ'ers face to face, and figure out how I can work a quilt-focussed
income stream into my upcoming retirement plans! Epilogue - we didn't
get to Germany (war jitters). But the two of us did drive coast to
coast of the grand ole USofA in April. Many thanks to our supportive
families! And best wishes, Diana, for your prompt recovery!
Old August 19th 03, 09:34 PM
frood

"frood" wrote in message
m...
I can't remember how I found the group, my DH probably did for me, but it
was in 1999, I think! Wait, DD#2 was born in '97, so it must have been

then,
cuz I was working on some quilts at the time and I remember asking

questions
about thread basting. What I learned: don't try to thread-baste a quilt on
the floor while 8 months pregnant. :-)

Why I stay? That's easy - everybody is so great here! I have a large

number
of quilting friends (even if I haven't met most of them in person), a
support group of experienced quilters to ask questions of, and a place to
get a laugh or a hug whenever I need it.

I used to be a weaver - I've always done some hand work or other - and I
used to sew clothes. I wove baby blankets for DD#1 and DS, as well as a
couple of nieces. But with kids, I couldn't set up my loom anymore. For a
long time, DD#1 had her crib in my weaving room! Once she started

crawling,
it had to be put away. I took up sewing again, making baby clothes. DS's
blanket was woven at a community center - another thing not to do while 8
months pregnant!

DH asked me what I was going to do for DD#2's blanket. I dunno what
happened, I just decided to make a quilt. I can sew, right? How hard can

it
be? And my best friend was having a baby, too, so I wanted to make a quilt
for her baby. Then, of course, DS would need one for his big boy bed,

since
he was getting booted out of the crib. By that time I was well and truely
hooked! It didn't hurt that the lady who sold me weaving supplies had
diverged her business (they sold knitting supplies, finished pottery and
finished quilts) into just quilting supplies, and some finished pottery,
too. Her partner took over the yarn part of hte business. How great was
that? A LQS owner I knew! She's a great lady, too!

For the future, I want to improve my skills, yadda yadda... I also want to
make more quilts for my home, as wall hangings, and for more beds - not
every bed has a quilt yet. And, I really want to teach a class on some
aspect of quilting, and I'm working on that goal now! :-)

--

http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 19th 03, 11:54 PM
HoBo

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up, thank you muchly! But the days linger long
sometimes. I havent energy to do much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the

power to entertain and amuse me if you
feel like it, and I hope you do... Would you please tell me how you came to

post at RCTQ, and why you stay,
and how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your

quilting future. Maybe everyone else will get some
pleasure in reading these .. then I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored
-- http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Hi Diana!

Here's my short story of how it all began per your request :^)

I started quilting in 1989 after getting a quilting catalog in the mail.
Got my curiosity so I ordered a quilt kit. Not feeling all that sure in
selecting fabrics much less a pattern it was easy to let someone else pick
out the fabrics for the design I liked. I'm self taught since where we used
to live it took an hour to get to town and all the guilds met in the
evenings. Night driving is not my cup o' tea. But I discovered all the fun
books, patterns & gadgets that all work together. Since then I've made
probably at least a dozen quilts. I've learned to enjoy working with
triangles, green fabric & will master applique if it kills me g

I found r.c.t.q. way back in 1994 (!). DH (then boyfriend) had just
purchased a computer & he had run across the newsgroups so he subscribed me
to rctq. I lurked for awhile, then hopped in (after The Great Flame War was
over g)- and have participated in the goings on like block/fq/siggy swaps
& HUGs (first one was Ruth's HUG) and have been in on many HUG's thereafter.
And maybe even an instigator of at least one or two. :-)

I've stayed because of the friendships of those I've met & those that I
haven't met personally, even when they have sent me green fabric ;^) the
swaps, silliness & fun that the group has offered over the years. I have
laughed & cried with you all. If you ever get a chance to meet an rctq'er,
do it! It is even more fun when you gather in groups! You'll discover all
sorts of things, like there ARE quilt police.... they just reside in Burbank
g (I'll have to get that picture posted one of these days) Or that fabric
CAN be stored in the refrigerator, isn't that right Butterfly??!

If I can only find more 'spare' time (and a cooler sewing room) I can do
more quilting & other crafty things that I like to do. Along with getting
back onto the ng. Back to my little corner of lurkdom.....for now g Hope
you are feeling better soon!

(((gentle hugs)))
HoBo

Old August 20th 03, 01:41 AM
Diana Curtis

Thank you for the healing wishes! I can grant them, I am healing well!
And thank you so much for sharing your quilting tale with all of us. Im so
glad everyone is having as much fun with this thread as I am. I had no idea
it would blossom like this. All the storys have been so interesting!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Cathy Tyler" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old August 20th 03, 03:18 AM
Diana Curtis

Thank you for the story, and for the get well wishes. I have enjoyed every
tale from the shortest and simplest to the long and involved and marveled at
the different ways people have become involved in quilting, and the reasons
they stay with it. Seems a fair number of us are admitting that our
significant others/future husbands, and family techie geeks got us hooked up
with RCTQ. Thats ok. We got here. We made it our own.
Thanks HoBo!!! I loved your story!
Diana

Old August 20th 03, 06:49 AM
Butterfly

Before ANY of you RCTQ'ers get any ideas--it was NOT in
MY Mr Friddggie......altho he does have a couple of pieces of fabric
on his front-- courtesy of a coupla RCTQ'ers vbg
Butterfly (I am SOooooooo pleased that HoBo NOW likes Green..WHEW..she
might let me visit with her again : )

Old August 20th 03, 02:57 PM
ME-Judy

Oh, geez, you brought back some memories.... Do you (anybody?) remember
FidoNet? That's where I got my start on what was to become the Internet.
The town where I live got a federal grant to help answer the question.....
"how would (actually "would") a global computer hookup affect 'small town'
U.S.A." The head of the project was installing computers at the local
library and saw me going through census microfilms doing some genealogy
research. That was back in, ummmmm, mid?-late 80s. We didn't even have a
modem on our home computer. He told me I was using the "wrong" machine -
and would I be interested in being a guinea pig for his project and
searching for genealogy and other things on the NEW world-wide-web.
Ooooh that was a life changing decision for me! Couldn't wait for us to get
a modem at home instead of downloading everything on disk at the library and
taking it home to read it G Just shows how much time has changed things,
huh?

My grandma taught me to both hand stitch & do embroidery, where the back
MUST look as good as the front, or you dang well undid it and did it over!
She also would draw a line/curve on an old piece of used stationery
(recycling back in the 40s) and have me (using the old treadle with an OLD
needle and NO thread or bobbin) try to sew on the line. She figured if I
could do that, then I'd be able to sew something "for real" when I got a
little older. She also had a big basket of scraps that I played with.

Well, I learned to sew clothes for my doll and such. Then, when I was 7th
grade, made some of my own clothes. My first real quilt didn't happen till
the early 60s in college when my roommate and I decided to re-decorate our
dorm room. We made simple alternating squares (print & solids) in those 60s
greens G. I still have the quilt, BTW.

Jump a few years - got interested in "the web", got a new computer (with a
modem, yet.) Went searching for 1. genealogy leads, and 2. quilting.
Found RCQ(?) just before it became RCTQ and have been hooked ever since. I
lurk mostly. But I love to see the variety of ideas, questions, LINKS!
Anything and everything between a group of cyber-friends. Gals (and guys)
that you trade ideas with that you may never meet in real life, but that
affect the way you look at things. Fantastic group! Glad I found you.
ME-Judy
"taria" wrote in message
It has been a good while but I would assume DH sat me down and
suggested it might be something I would enjoy. I remember many years
ago being on Prodigy (gosh I think that was one of the early ones)
and there was a quilting group. They changed over to charging by
the time you were on instead of a monthly charge and we dropped them.
Were any of you there in earlier years? I'll never forget a woman
posting
that a policeman had come to her door to tell her that her son had died.
It had just happened minutes before and she turned to the group to talk.
I can't remember her name or anything else but that will forever stick
in my mind. How we got here might be different for many of us but
why we stay is probably similar. The people here are a caring bunch.

You take care of yourself Diana. Bored means you are healing. WHen you
start getting crabby we'll know you are close to being well VBG
Taria

Diana Curtis wrote:

Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm

Old August 20th 03, 04:41 PM
Ann Adamson

I haven't been spending too much time online in the past few days -
getting psyched up for my 2nd chemo. So I've missed this long, but
interesting I'm sure, thread. Not sure If I'll ever be able to wade
through the whole thing, though I've "browsed" some of the answers here
and there.

I began quilting in early 2001. May I think. I hadn't sewn much since
my home ec class in middle school, and before that just a bit with my
mom. But I always loved crafting of almost any kind.

Anyway, my dad had passed away in 2000 and I had gotten the idea of
making some memory quilts in his honor to give to my siblings
(incidentally, to date, I'm the only sibling that doesn't have one --
yet). I saw something like that in a catalog and loved the idea of it.
I just love the soft and tactile aspect of the fabrics mixed with the
warm memories from treasured photos.

Anyway, I was talking about it with a friend, and she mentioned that she
had started quilting with another friend in the past months and they
were taking some classes at a LQS. She asked if I would like to take a
class, but I couldn't commit to an evening class because of our schedule
with kids baseball and scouts and etc. And the daytime classes were out
of the question anyway because we both work. But I asked her tons of
questions and went with her to the LQS and bought a book or two and
ordered some fabric and a new sewing machine online and plunged right
in. And I haven't had a break ever since. I like to make small quilted
projects as gifts, and thus I mostly like to stick with simple patterns.
Someday I hope to make a project just for me, and I would really like
to tackle a Lone Star and also make a queen bed-size Irish Chain. But,
those are "stretch goals" for me. Mostly I like to make memory quilts,
WH's, baby quilts, doll quilts, snuggle/lap quilts. And my new favorite
short project - tote bags!

I found rctq because my friend had been lurking for a while, and was
always talking about hints and stuff she found here. I subscribed and
lurked just a bit before jumping right in! I really enjoyed that this
was such a warm and welcoming place. And I got a LOT of help. So, even
when the group seems to go through a "quilting lull" (where there seems
to be more OT posts and rants going than talking about quilting) I stick
it out and wait for someone to post a quilting question or tip, or even
better - pictures of projects -- my VERY FAVORITE reason to stick around
in rctq! They are so inspiriational!

Whew!

Ann

Old August 20th 03, 04:46 PM
Diana Curtis

This is so interesting. I had no idea how or when the net really started....
To think, without the net this rather wonderful congregation couldnt exist,
and none of us might know one another... its mind boggling.
Thank you for sharing your very interesting story Judy!
Diana