Fine hairline cracks in bisque ware

Old December 1st 04, 01:58 PM
Bob Masta

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:40:29 GMT, "JM" wrote:

snip

It would be nice to know how others speed up the drying process - I have
even been told of placing ware on top of a firing kiln to speed things up.
I know some of you are lucky enough to live in warmer climate, and so have
no probs drying out.

I suspect that most folks don't attempt to speed up drying.
It's more likely to screw things up. In general, most people
try to *slow down* drying to prevent stress build-up,
especially where some parts (handles, etc) are much
smaller or have more surface-to-volume ratio than the main body.
Draping plastic over the piece is a common way to do
this.

The trick is to get used to the slower work flow.
You may need more storage space for drying
wares in the meantime, but you will get better
results overall in the long run.

Best regards,

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Old December 1st 04, 08:51 PM
annemarie

"Bob Masta" wrote in message
[...]

I use a hot air gun at times, but in a limited way. When I throw and want
to alter a piece I dry it enough so that you can touch the surface without
marking it, but it is still very flexible and you can alter the shape. Or
if I am turning and it is just a little two wet I use the hot air gun very
sparingly to firm it up a little. I tried it on porcelain once ) it will
be the only time too. Slow drying is always safest.