Yoohoo, Mommies!

Old August 18th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Default Yoohoo, Mommies!

Jangchub wrote:

It's nothing personal about who watches it. I am commenting on the
content of a show. I don't have to watch it to make this comment.

It's one thing to coment that the show contains cheating. It's another
to claim that the show *promotes* cheating. And no, you don't have to
watch it to make a comment, but it sure would help your credibility if
you'd seen it even once.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old August 18th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

lewmew wrote:
American Girl magazine - really! Also there is an even better one -
Discovery Girls. My dd got it from about 9-11 and loved it. One of
the cool things is they show real girls who do real things - not just
cheerleader types, but also hockey, swimming, piano players and more.
My dd found it very much related to her life.

Linda

Thanks for that recommendation. I'm looking for a gift for my 9 y.o.
niece and this looks perfect!

sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old August 18th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka Kammerer

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/18/08 8:55 AM, in article ,
"Ericka Kammerer" wrote:

Karen C in California wrote:

He points out that there has been
absolutely NO advertising for them on TV or in the newspapers/magazines
the two of us read,

Ganz doesn't advertise them because they're selling out
on word of mouth alone.

I think there are ads in some of the "kids" magazines. Or was that the
latest clone???

Could be. I avoid those like the plague ;-)

Hey Erika, what magazines would you recommend for a 9-12 year old girl that
isn't loaded with teen idols/celebrities. She loves her USA Hockey, but is
bored with Nat Geo Kids.

Honestly, I've just gone straight to adult magazines with
mine in that age range (nine might be a tad young). DS likes
Discover, and they've also enjoyed a few issues of Science Illustrated
that I've brought home (fun puzzles in the back of that one). We
might subscribe to that. My history/current events loving kid
likes "The Week" because even though it has some stuff he doesn't
care about, it gives a broad perspective on news events from around
the world in bite-sized pieces. I don't know if we'd subscribe to
that just for him, however (the adults read it too).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 18th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 8/18/08 8:55 AM, in article
,
"Ericka Kammerer" wrote:

Karen C in California wrote:

[...]

Years ago, I got my oldest brother a subscription to Smithsonian because
I like it so much. He said he rarely got to read it because my nephew
kept taking off with it. He wasn't going to complain, however, because
he was tickled that the kid had found something he wanted to read.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old August 18th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Lucille wrote:

I doubt that the people you are describing are typical.

Lucille

Only one of Mom's elderly neighbors has a computer, and all she knows
how to do is send e-mail. Took years before she could figure out how to
download the attached photos of the grandkids. I've offered to send my
old one to the folks and put them on my AOL account so it won't cost
them anything, "no thanks, not interested". They have better things to
do with their time than play around online.

Only one of my aunts has a computer (her sons' idea), and all she knows
how to do is send e-mail; one other has a MailStation, which only does
e-mail, and tells Mom that pretty much the grandkids have to phone her
to let her know "you've got mail" before she thinks to turn it on and
check. My uncles are all totally disinterested in computers.

Among the older people I volunteered with here, the last I heard only
one had a computer -- it was given to him -- and even under my tutelage
he couldn't grasp how to use it and stuck with his manual typewriter
till the day he died.

I'm afraid that the ones who are not typical are the ones in this group
who are completely computer-savvy. Statistically, over-65s are LEAST
likely to have computers, or want one.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 7/27/08 - MLI Christmas Visit

WIP: Oriental Kimono (Janlynn), MLI The Teacher (gift to
the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old August 18th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Karen C in California wrote:

He points out that there has been absolutely NO advertising for them
on TV or in the newspapers/magazines the two of us read,

Ganz doesn't advertise them because they're selling out
on word of mouth alone.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Well, their word of mouth seems to have failed to reach Mom's social
circle or mine. None of the grannies she asked had any clue about them.
DBF and I would have the excuse that neither of us have kids of our
own, therefore don't have grandkids, but all the people Mom asked *are*
grannies, one of whom is live-in babysitter for the grandkids, and have
never heard of these things.

It may be regional and just isn't as big in their area or mine.

Old August 18th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Karen C in California" wrote in message
Lucille wrote:

[...]

Would you please share those statistical tables with me. I googled for
information and couldn't find any recent study, except for one that involved
physicians using computers for their practice.

Lucille

Lucille

Old August 18th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Lucille wrote:

[...]

Your data intrigued me because it's so opposite what I know from my friends
and neighbors that looked a bit further and came up with this article from
The New York Times. It certainly tells another story, doesn't it.

http://tiny.cc/UQnvz

This is more what I know.

Lucille

Old August 18th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Karen C in California wrote:

I'm afraid that the ones who are not typical are the ones in this group
who are completely computer-savvy. Statistically, over-65s are LEAST
likely to have computers, or want one.

Since I know a ton of people over 65 who are totally computer savvy,
including my 88 year old father and his wife, who bank online, I'd love
to know the source for your statistics.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old August 18th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl P.

Lucille wrote:

Your data intrigued me because it's so opposite what I know from my friends
and neighbors that looked a bit further and came up with this article from
The New York Times. It certainly tells another story, doesn't it.

http://tiny.cc/UQnvz

This is more what I know.

Lucille

Only 22% of the over-65s use a computer? I'd have guessed a little
higher, even though I know so many who don't use a computer.

They don't say how they arrived at the figure or what level of use that
22% have.

The Canadian figure, according to Stats Canada, is 29% for Internet use,
which isn't of course the same thing as using a computer. There are
probably people who use computers without accessing the Internet.

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/080612/d080612b.htm

Internet (if not computer) use also varies by region quite a bit.

Cheryl

OT Yoohoo Shona in NZ Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 1 August 1st 05 07:05 AM
Yoohoo! Mary H. in OH Leslie in Missouri Quilting 2 May 30th 04 01:46 PM
MOMMIES!! HELP!!! Allaya Diep Yarn 20 May 29th 04 10:36 PM
Question for all new Mommies Debbi Quilting 85 November 15th 03 03:39 AM