Yoohoo, Mommies!

Old August 18th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default Yoohoo, Mommies!

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

it's very
clear that Webkinz has not passed the west coast by, and I've seen
no evidence in any searches that sales are confined to the
east coast.

Then obviously I'm not talking to the right West Coasters, going to the
right West Coast stores, reading the right West Coast newspapers,
because until yesterday I never heard of them.

As I said, there's a big age-gap in our family, only one child about the
age of Cheryl's DD, and he's never told me about them. Could be that
he's not interested in them, and the others are either too old or too
young.

But I can't imagine that CNN wouldn't have done a big story on them if
they're such a hot Christmas toy.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 7/27/08 - MLI Christmas Visit

WIP: Oriental Kimono (Janlynn), MLI The Teacher (gift to
the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old August 18th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka Kammerer

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Maybe Webkinz aren't as in in urban areas.

When I looked at the info for webkinz.com, a substantial
chunk of their traffic came from major cities (20.7 percent from
NYC, LA, Boston, Philly, Chicago and Washington). That seems to
be a fair chunk from top urban areas.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 18th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Olwyn Mary wrote:

I had never heard of webkins until yesterday.

Well, thank goodness I'm not the only one who's out of the loop!

(Though, as I said, DBF hadn't heard of them, and neither had my
craft-sale partner, who's my age, so I knew I was not THE very last
computer-literate person in the universe who'd never heard of them.)

Old August 18th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Karen C in California wrote:

Dr. Brat wrote:

Karen C in California wrote:

Plus, the original question was specifically about Barbie clothes,
which we can produce at no cost just to fill out a corner of the
table so it looks like we have a little more stock.

LOL! If you're going to insist that people stick to answering only
the exact question you ask, you really need to find another place to
post your questions. This is Usenet: "you posts in public, you takes
your chances."

Elizabeth

As the lawyers in my court cases always say, "please just answer the
question that he asked! Don't answer questions that weren't asked."

You're not in court, you're in a social group and as much as you'd like
to control the rest of us, you can't.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old August 18th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:52:46 -0400, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net opined:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:01:15 -0400, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net wrote:

(...)

In my case my husband died so it's unlikely I'll be driving him anywhere
and
fortunately most of my friends drive so we can share that chore. If
your
family gets its jollies by doing what I consider to be everyday chores,
more
power to them but most of the people I know aren't happy with doing the
same
thing now that they have more leisure time and want to do something
different and more stimulating. There's also the fact that if you live
alone it's easy to keep your home neat and clean, unlike when you live
with
an active group.

(...)

My mom is 72 or 73, I forget, but she is a psychiatric social worker,
so is a professional and still works full time. She's been online
since the old days when an Adam was their first computer. Then they
had a Commador, then they moved up and up and now she has the ordinary
computer we all have. She's probably ready to buy a new one as hers
is about five years old and obsolete for many reasons.

I have done everything including stand on my head begging her to stop
working and move down here to TX. While she thinks the idea is very
romantic to live closer to me, she adores her job and will probably
work until she absolutely can't drive any more.

I belong to a garden club and I am one of the younger people there.
Mostly widows ro widowers and all seniors. We have one woman who is in
her 90s and she does her hair, full makeup, and always looks beautiful
when I see her. Spry as anyone else there and she's been online since
Prodigy days, which is about when I was online...about 18 years
ago...I think we used Genie and it was not the Internet, not by a long
shot.

I forgot my point! Better stop since I lost the plot!

Don't feel too bad about that. I've been an active part of this mess and
too have lost the plot. lol

p.s. My first computer was an IBM pc with a 64k hard drive and a 4"
floppy
disk. That was way back when there wasn't even an internet for me, I
think
around 1990. Wow, that was a long time ago, wasn't it?

You're old, you doddering old senior with so little to do you squander
your life away on the computer looking for friends. I was horrified
recently to find my first post to a group (not this one) was way back
in 1998.

Perhaps the difference for me is that I hate television so I use the
computer in place of television. I really see nothing wrong with
that.

I admit it. I love my computer. It not only allows me to keep on learning
and staying mentally alert, it gave me the opportunity to meet great new
friends and visit with people on line in places I could never have dreamed I
would go. How great is that????

Then how good is it to be able to share in the joy on my nephew's face when
he is sitting with his father and his new Samoyed puppy, Nanook. I would
have waited weeks to see that picture with snail mail, provided the young,
extremely busy parents took the time away from their very active lives to
mail it to me.

Yep, I depend a great deal on the computer for my entertainment. Perhaps
it's true that I know more people who are interested in newfangled devices
and technology. It just so happens that in my rather large group of
acquaintances I can count on my fingers those who don't at least use a
computer or WebTV for e-mail. Even those whose families live nearby. I
never thought we were unique but maybe we are.

Lucille

Old August 18th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Karen C in California wrote:

Lucille wrote:

Here's my concession speech. More power to you and your boring family
and friends.

They're not boring. They're out and about and doing things, not sitting
home in front of a computer wishing for companionship. They've got real
people to talk to, they don't need to rely on internet friends.

Having real people to talk to doesn't mean that one can't be on the
internet. Being on the internet doesn't mean that one doesn't have real
people to talk to and has to rely on internet friends. You're setting
up a false dichotomy here.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old August 18th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Karen C in California wrote:

So, take your self-righteous "what I do
always puts me in the majority, and those who don't do what I do are
always in the minority", and listen to the statistics that prove who's
really the minority.

Pot, kettle, black, baby! Got some of your own arguing style handed
back to you and you don't like it much, do you?

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old August 18th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:19:11 GMT, lucretia borgia
wrote:

Lol our first computer was a Commodore 64 - recently one of my USB
memory sticks was lying on the desk and as I looked at it I suddenly
realized it had a 2gb memory, light years more than the big ole
Commodore, and was cigarette sized.

Mark and I are NASA and Space buffs and the first computer they had at
NASA took up an entire room and couldn't store 1/1000th of what my
current computer can do!

lol, it ain't easy being green !

Hahaha, I sing that song to Mika Bird Johnson all the time. She loves
Kermit's voice.

It's not that easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that

It's not easy being green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky

But green's the color of Spring
And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like an ocean, or important
Like a mountain, or tall like a tree

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful
And I think it's what I want to be

And, Mika is green! A cute, little, snoopy, shmoopy sweet little
birdie girl!

A stuffed Kermit that belonged to someone very near and dear to me sits on
top of my kitchen cabinets wrapped around a pot of fake philodendron. I do
believe he watches over me and keeps things right in my world.

Lucille

Old August 19th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Karen C in California wrote:

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

it's very
clear that Webkinz has not passed the west coast by, and I've seen
no evidence in any searches that sales are confined to the
east coast.

Then obviously I'm not talking to the right West Coasters, going to the
right West Coast stores, reading the right West Coast newspapers,
because until yesterday I never heard of them.

Right, because contrary to what you'd like to believe, you don't know
everything and you aren't typical for your age group.

But I can't imagine that CNN wouldn't have done a big story on them if
they're such a hot Christmas toy.

One of Ericka's links was to CNN. You must have missed that.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old August 19th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

lucretia borgia wrote:

You're old, you doddering old senior with so little to do you squander
your life away on the computer looking for friends. I was horrified
recently to find my first post to a group (not this one) was way back
in 1998.

Neophyte! I got my first email account in 1988 and I first posted to
Usenet in 1992.

Elizabeth

OT Yoohoo Shona in NZ Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 1 August 1st 05 07:05 AM
Yoohoo! Mary H. in OH Leslie in Missouri Quilting 2 May 30th 04 01:46 PM
MOMMIES!! HELP!!! Allaya Diep Yarn 20 May 29th 04 10:36 PM
Question for all new Mommies Debbi Quilting 85 November 15th 03 03:39 AM