Roadside find!

Old August 29th 03, 12:48 AM
Pat in Virginia

Default Roadside find!

Woo Hoo Betty! My lovely Miss June White thanks you for kindly
rescuing her cousin from a fate worse than death. Enjoy this
treasure and let us know how the rehabilitation goes.
PAT in VA/USA

Clooniff wrote:

This morning when I went down to get the paper I glanced over at my
neighbor's pile of stuff for the trash (pick-up was due in about half an
hour) and saw this antique looking sewing machine sitting there. Naturally
I trotted across the street to see what it was. I picked it up and brought
it home.

It's a White vibrating shuttle, a bit rusty, but it works. It even still
has its bobbin case (no bobbins, but I think my DD1 has some). So now all I
need is a White treadle table. I don't know its exact age, but the latest
patent date on the shuttle cover is 1880 and I know they weren't made later
than 1913. I've no idea why it was being thrown out, but it deserves
something better than the dump. So I will get to work with the WD-40 to get
the years of grimy dust off it and see what it looks like.

Betty in CT

Old August 29th 03, 03:27 AM
Elena

Yippee! That's a sharp eye there!
Let us know how clean-up goes.

Old August 30th 03, 06:20 AM
Mneets

It's a White vibrating shuttle, a bit rusty, but it works. It even still
has its bobbin case (no bobbins, but I think my DD1 has some). So now all I
need is a White treadle table. I don't know its exact age, but the latest
patent date on the shuttle cover is 1880 and I know they weren't made later
than 1913. I've no idea why it was being thrown out, but it deserves
something better than the dump. So I will get to work with the WD-40 to get
the years of grimy dust off it and see what it looks like.

Betty in CT

Good for you, Betty. Way to go! hope it cleans up real good for you...
Hugs, Neets, Memere Neets, Anita
Connecticut, USA
Old August 30th 03, 07:17 PM
Dr. Quilter

That sounds fabulous! My neighbours are never 'interesting' people like
that! )

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old August 30th 03, 07:18 PM
Dr. Quilter

I am thinking, maybe they kept the table to use as funiture and
discarded the machine? You could ask them, maybe they still have it!

Old August 30th 03, 11:12 PM
Clooniff

These folks have 4 children and they have the most enormous amount of trash
every week, plus two humongous bulk pickups every year. And a yard sale
every spring. You're right, I should see if she has the table.

After looking at other Whites on line, I think this is one of the 1880s
models. The body is all angles where the post 1900 ones are rounded. If
you come across any bobbins with holes rather than nipples on the ends,
that's what this one takes.

Betty in CT