The latest thing around here...

Old December 30th 04, 01:52 PM
Karen Maslowski

Kim Basinger owns a town in Georgia, I believe.

Thanks for the invitation to leave the country, but we still have the
right to express our opinions, at least for now. That's how the United
States was begun, as a matter of fact, out of a desire to leave the
oppression imposed by the King of England and his government.

I am also very patriotic, but reserve the right to have opinionsm, and
to express them. Thanks for reading this.

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

CySew wrote:
I am very patriotic and hate to see/hear bashing of a President whether he
is the one for which you voted or not. He is after all, the President of
the United States,and he didn't just automatically assume the role. I
suggest if you don't want to live under him, do as Kim Bassinger and others
said they were going to do if he were elected the first time--move to
another country. I think they are still living in CA though, since I
haven't heard of any mass exodus of her and the many other anti-Bush
Hollywood crowd.
Emily

Old December 30th 04, 02:27 PM
bckwrds

"Karen Maslowski" wrote in message
.. .
Kim Basinger owns a town in Georgia, I believe.

Thanks for the invitation to leave the country, but we still have the
right to express our opinions, at least for now. That's how the United
States was begun, as a matter of fact, out of a desire to leave the
oppression imposed by the King of England and his government.

the US was formed by many who wanted and believed and fought
for freedom.....many opposed them but right won. There are some
who believe what is happening in the name of freedom is wrong but
again I have faith that right will win. Yes, citizen wanted freedom
from oppression inposed by England. That freedom did not come
without many lives being lost. So....was that fight a good fight?

I am also very patriotic, but reserve the right to have opinionsm, and to
express them. Thanks for reading this.

Yes, one of the greatest thing about living here is our rights....fought
and died for by our forefathers. Other countries deserve the same.
Expressing ones opinions is great but if one must resort to insults
and disrespect they are showing ignorance to how we became
such a great country in the first place. Getting up and doing
something, actually exersizing without the name calling---now
that is how good things happen. Sitting and bitching has never
accomplished much.

The office of the presidency DOES deserve respect whether
one agrees with the policies or not. I sure can understand the
how's and why's some of our young adults turned out the
way they have.....a lot of the lack of respect for others came
from their parents.

Donna

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old December 30th 04, 04:14 PM
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:38:20 -0800, Pogonip
calmly ranted:

CySew wrote:

I am very patriotic and hate to see/hear bashing of a President whether he
is the one for which you voted or not. He is after all, the President of
the United States,and he didn't just automatically assume the role. I
suggest if you don't want to live under him, do as Kim Bassinger and others
said they were going to do if he were elected the first time--move to
another country. I think they are still living in CA though, since I
haven't heard of any mass exodus of her and the many other anti-Bush
Hollywood crowd.
Emily

You don't abandon your country just because it's taken a
wrong turn. We older folk didn't abandon ship when Joe
McCarthy was running his kangaroo court, and he finally
got what was coming to him. Most of us have learned that
it is not "My country, right or wrong" as was once heard
'round the land to our everlasting disgrace. It's "My
country and I want to make it better." At least, it is
for some of us.

And the latter phrase is precisely why I criticize him.
I feel that _I_ am the patriot here (sorry, Emily.) Blind
acceptance of our President's actions while he is putting
us at dire risk of total annihilation is foolhardy. I fear
that his own religious Crusade is just as wrong as the last
one.

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

Old December 30th 04, 04:53 PM
Barbara Raper

Donna, I definitely agree with what you and Emily said. We live in a great
nation and have a lot of freedom that many countries do not have. A lot of
men have fought and died for those freedoms, including members of my family.
Barbara in FL & SC steping down off the soap box

Old December 30th 04, 05:56 PM
Mike Behrent

I beg to differ on one point. Bush and his friends are NOT religious, nor
are they Christian. For them it's just a tool to be used to get blind
support. None of their actions demonstrate the slightest Christian conduct
but only demonstrate a total lack of compassion or concern. They're not even
lifting a finger to help American nationals stuck in South Asia. Their
crusade is in the name of corporate profits at any cost.

Old December 31st 04, 01:03 AM
bckwrds

And I'm with you, Barbara....and I'm also getting down off the
soap box....but not because it's slippery.

Donna

Old December 31st 04, 03:19 AM
Juno

Karen, Mike and Larry have said it all as far as I'm concerned. If you have
a problem with the way things are in this country you are guaranteed the
right to desent by the constitiuion. It is a right that was fought for in
the Revolutionary War. I find it frightening that many people consider that
unpatriotic.I feel that blind acceptance of govenment policy is the most
unpatriotic thing you can do. I love my country, I want it to be a place
where there is freedom and an acceptance of points of view that are not
popular. If you don't like something don't complain, work to change it.
Juno

Old January 1st 05, 06:58 AM

CySew wrote:
I am very patriotic and hate to see/hear bashing of a President whether he
is the one for which you voted or not. He is after all, the President of
the United States,and he didn't just automatically assume the role.

Amen! I never said a bad word about Clinton, and I can tell you that I
was sicker when he was elected than people were when Bush was elected.

I suggest if you don't want to live under him, do as Kim Bassinger
and others said they were going to do if he were elected the first
time--move to another country. I think they are still living in CA
though, since I haven't heard of any mass exodus of her and the many
other anti-Bush Hollywood crowd.

Yup, I haven't heard of any of them leaving, either.
Old January 1st 05, 07:00 AM

Karen Maslowski wrote:

Thanks for the invitation to leave the country, but we still have the
right to express our opinions, at least for now. That's how the United
States was begun, as a matter of fact, out of a desire to leave the
oppression imposed by the King of England and his government.

I couldn't agree more. It would be a sad country if every single person
believed exactly the same.
Old January 1st 05, 03:33 PM
Mike Behrent

Interestingly, the American colonies weren't particularly oppressed at all
and actually had things pretty good. The majority of colonists really didn't
care who ran things. Had England not been at war on the continent there
would have been no revolution because the stamp act and tea tax wouldn't
have been levied. At the first signs of agitation they would have been free
to send more experienced troops and a more politically astute officer corps
which would have meant no Boston Massacre or other incidents that made the
people hostile. The only truely experienced troops England sent was a
detatchment of the Black Watch but overall command was in the hands of
officers Britain didn't want in Europe due to inexperience or incompetence.
As a side note, the Black Watch refused to claim ANY battle honors for
engagements in America. Nonetheless, the revolution was fomented by a very
small minority who created incidents to turn the public sentiment against
England. Many remained loyal regardless, Ben Franklins own son left America
for England afterwards.
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...