Pictures of my latest quilt

Old February 1st 05, 02:24 AM
Julia Altshuler

Default Pictures of my latest quilt

I'd love it if y'all took a look at my latest quilt at:

http://www.rpdb2005quilt.rocky-dog.com/

The quilt is for a regular on another usenet group I frequent, one
having to do with dogs and training. The regular's wife is having a
baby in February. I thought we all needed a group project to bring us
together and that the baby needed a quilt. Everyone was invited to buy
fabric, decorate it in any way that was both baby and sewing machine
safe and send it to me for inclusion in the quilt. These were all
non-sewers so I had quite a time writing instructions that didn't
confuse everyone, but eventually I got fabulous contributions. (If
anyone is interested in coordinating a similar project, I'm glad to pass
along my "rules" for the non-sewers. It is all basically stuff that
quilters take for granted, stuff like buying 100% cotton and making sure
the pens used for decorating won't wash out on the first trip to the
washing machine.)

They used paper piecing, applique, needlepoint, permanent marking pens,
fabric paints, embroidery, photo-transfer, trapunto. I love it that
they used techniques that I know nothing about. I asked them to use
light blue fabric for the background, to decorate within an 8" square
and to leave the cutting to me since I wasn't about to try to explain
everything about rotary cutters and scissors and rulers. Surprisingly
enough, that was the hardest thing to get across to non-sewers. They
couldn't understand that I wanted them to send me the entire quarter
yard of fabric, to decorate only 8" and to leave it uncut so I could use
the extra if I needed it elsewhere in the quilt.

Another regular on the group did the photography for me. I think he did
an especially clever job. You can click anywhere on the whole picture
for close-ups of particular blocks.

I took each 8" block of decorated fabric and put an irregular log cabin
around it, then sashed those in purple with corner stones and bordered
the whole thing. The names of different dog breeds got machine quilted
into the border. The quilt came out much larger than I expected for a
baby, but I couldn't know how many people would want to participate when
I started. The finished quilt is about 60" x 60".

--Lia

Old February 1st 05, 02:40 AM
Dee in Oz

You have done a fantastic job Julia, especially since you were working
with non-sewers

Dee in Oz

Old February 1st 05, 02:47 AM
merrystitch

Very nice quilt. I'm sure it will be appreciated by Mom & loved by baby and
will be used for many years. I love the way you did the wonky log cabins.
Merrystitch

Old February 1st 05, 03:09 AM

Oooh, we heard about it while it was in process and it's so neat to see
it now that it is finished. It's very nice! What a great idea. I'm
sure they will treasure it. It's so nice of you to coordinate
everything AND stitch it all together.

--Sonya.

Old February 1st 05, 04:20 AM
Denise Jameson in Ontario

Awesome! :-)

Denise in Ontario, Canada
Old February 1st 05, 12:22 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Thats lovely Julia - what a great gift! And you say the contributors are
non-quiltrs? Some of those squares could put me to shame!

The recepient is gonna love it, thats for sure!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old February 1st 05, 12:28 PM
Tina

Wow, what an awesome quilt! What a unique design. I love it.
You are all so talented I am just green with envy.
How many years am I going to have to do this to get that good?! LOL
Tina

Old February 1st 05, 12:52 PM
Queen of Squishies

It's awesome, thanks for showing it!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
* We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar