Dritz vs Omnigrid cutter

Old July 13th 03, 05:10 PM
frood

Default Dritz vs Omnigrid cutter

Is that the one you have to squeeze the handle to open the blade? I've had
problems with other tools like that - they give me hand cramps. But thanks
for your input. :-)

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"M. Wetmore" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:44:42 GMT, "frood"
wrote:

Both Dritz and Omnigrid make a pressure-sensitive rotary cutter - safety
guard in place automatically, retracts to cut. I want to get one of these
cutters for DD. Anybody have one of these? Anybody know the advantages of
one brand over the other?

I have an Olfa that works that way. I love it. I never lock it in
place so I don't ever cut myself. Plus it fits really well in my
hand.

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot

com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

Old July 13th 03, 06:02 PM
Julia in MN

I have a Dritz and it seems to take a little more pressure to cut than
an Olfa because you have to press hard enough to expose the blade. I
also have the Olfa "ergonomic" cutter. I really like it. You can lock
the blade open if you are doing a lot of cutting, but I usually don't.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old July 13th 03, 09:57 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"frood" wrote:

Both Dritz and Omnigrid make a pressure-sensitive rotary cutter - safety
guard in place automatically, retracts to cut. I want to get one of these
cutters for DD. Anybody have one of these? Anybody know the advantages of
one brand over the other?

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

I find with the Dritz one I have to push a bit harder to cut cleanly,
but I can cut right or left handed with the same cutter.

With the omnigrid I can only cut right handed unless I take it apart and
reassemble it on the other side on the handle. Not likely!

marcella

Old July 13th 03, 10:28 PM
frood

That is an important fact to know, Marcella. My DS is left-handed, and I
think an ambidextrous cutter is a better investment.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old July 13th 03, 11:23 PM
NightMist

wrote:

Both Dritz and Omnigrid make a pressure-sensitive rotary cutter - safety
guard in place automatically, retracts to cut. I want to get one of these
cutters for DD. Anybody have one of these? Anybody know the advantages of
one brand over the other?

I have a Dritz, I got it because I really liked my very first cutter
(an Eastman) and it was pressure sensitive too. Since I have a lil'un
in the house again I figured a non-open blade type would be the way to
go.
I was none too fond at first, then I replaced the blade and it was
fine. I have no idea why the blade it came with was dull, but that
was the problem, and the only one I have had with it.

NightMist
Old July 14th 03, 12:54 AM
frood

I put my cutter in an eyeglass case for travel. It velcros shut, and is just
the right size.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"Elena" wrote in message
I have the Dritz. Just remember to lock the guard over the blade if you

are
ever transporting it. I have reached inside a bag hunting for it, and My
finger pushed the guard right down. ouch! Actually I've done that with
the Olfa cutter too. There's no lock on that blade unless I stick a screw
thru the hole and put a nut on it. I've since bought a little nylon

covered
guard that velcros over the blade for travel.

Elena in Tx (still got all my fingers)

Old July 14th 03, 01:44 AM
Diana Curtis

I have the Dritz and like it ok. I would rather use the olfa regular type
cutter that went on walkabout .... and unlike the boomarang it didnt return.
:-(
The dritz does seem to take a bit more pressure but it does have settings to
allow you to set it for cutting 1 layer or mulitple layers.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
. com...

Old July 14th 03, 02:59 AM
Diana Curtis

Gasp! and i thought it was me that dulled mine somehow!!! oooh.. i wonder
how mine will work if i replace the blade! Thank you Nighty! ( that almost
came out as Mighty.. mighty nighty... )
Diana

Old July 14th 03, 08:19 AM
Kate T.

I own the Fiskers rotary cutter and have used it for years. The one thing I
don't like are the blades. They are dull when I buy them or have spots that
are dull. I changed to the Dritz blades. They are completely sharp and
stay sharp longer. Just wish I could find them in various sizes.
Dritz blades are made with a different type of steel than all the others.

Kate T.
South Mississippi

"frood" wrote in message
. com...
Both Dritz and Omnigrid make a pressure-sensitive rotary cutter - safety
guard in place automatically, retracts to cut. I want to get one of these
cutters for DD. Anybody have one of these? Anybody know the advantages of
one brand over the other?

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

WTB Hollow Auger , tenon cutter or spoke pointer Darren Carving 1 October 21st 04 12:15 AM
Spring loaded cutter kdoney Glass 30 May 8th 04 06:49 PM
where can I get a cheap mat cutter? ted Needlework 6 January 8th 04 11:37 PM
Omnigrid ruler ...work surface DianeGlassAttic Polymer Clay 0 October 17th 03 04:57 PM
Komfort Cutter jk Glass 0 July 29th 03 07:01 AM