OT (sorta?) It's happening again!

Old July 3rd 04, 11:47 PM
Ray DeVous

http://www.purinamills.com

:-D
Ray

Su/Cutworks wrote:

Kalera wrote:

Mmmmm, Dessert Chow!

Only for the cooks, though!

In my house we call those "Oreos". (Actually I rarely buy Oreos, but yum.)

LOL. I bought some one day and my husband wasn't impressed. Of course, he
never grew up with Oreos, or Graham Crackers or anything like that. Poor
thing.

What I want would be like a tri-colored kibble mix, you could just pour
it into bowls and turn the family loose on it. It would be important
that all the colors have the same nutritional content or the kids would
refuse to eat one of the colors and get scurvy or rickets or something.

My son has lately been pretending to be a puppy (he's so good at hints!) so
this would be ideal for him, since he's convinced that he should eat out of
a bowl anyway. I'd make the ones that look the yummiest have the important
and nutritious ingredients, and the ones that look like kibble have the best
taste.

It would have to be kind of bland yet still tasty, so you wouldn't get
sick of it.

I think we're on a winner here. Anyone have the phone number for Purina?
They do make a monkey chow and a fish chow (which stinks to high heaven) so
certainly they could make Purina Family Chow.

-Su

Old July 4th 04, 03:56 AM
Kalera Stratton

Mmmm, that sounds delicious!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

bluemaxx wrote:
Know what else is cheap and good? We called it "Green Bean Soup"
growing up and I still love it. My family was poor - 5 kids, and my
grandpa lived with us, too. Mom worked in a factory from the time I
was born on (gramps pretty much raised me), and my dad had 2-3 jobs at a
time, usually bartending at private homes/clubs at night after his day
job. We always had a garden during the summer, with row upon row of
green beans... and man, did I hate picking them! Broke out in a rash
every time...

Anyway... you cook the beans, then add 2 or 3 (or more) cooked potatos
cut into small chunks, add about 1/2 cup of butter/margarine, 1 pint of
sour cream and then add milk until you get the consistency you want -
thinner makes it more of a soup and thicker makes it more of a side
dish. It also works great when you need to stretch a limited amount of
green beans into a side dish vegetable for many.
Linda

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
: Potato soup! Brown some potatos and onions in a pan with a handful of
: flour, then drench them in 50% and 50% milk, add salt and pepper to
: taste, and some chopped parsley from the garden if you have it.
Delicious!
:
: -Kalera
: http://www.beadwife.com
: http://www.snipurl.com/kebay
:
:
: Dr. Sooz wrote:
: Soup....beans and dried peas and stuff, with a can of fire-roasted
organic
: tomatoes, herbs, pepper flakes, some chicken boullion, and tons of
veggies.
: Everyone begs for it again and again. We eat it for days with
crusty bread.
: Mmmmmmmmm
:
:
: a tried and true cheapie
:
:
:
: ~~
: Sooz

---

Old July 4th 04, 03:57 AM
Kalera Stratton

LOL Calf Chow!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kalera Stratton
:

]The fact that you can buy Purina Ferret Chow was a never-ending source
]of amusement for me when I had a ferret.

there's "pony chow" and "chicken chow" and "calf chow" and all KINDS
of 'chow' that never even would have occurred to me to look for!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Old July 4th 04, 04:02 AM
Kalera Stratton

WOW!

"Flamingo Complete Bits" and "Marmoset Jelly"... LOL! I never knew.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Ray DeVous wrote:
http://www.purinamills.com

:-D
Ray

Old July 4th 04, 09:00 AM
Su/Cutworks

Ray wrote:

http://www.purinamills.com

:-D

Is that an offer to take us out to dinner?

:-)

-Su

Old July 4th 04, 09:18 AM
Ray DeVous

Chow down!!!!!!!!! Chinese for constipation is: (drummer get ready for
a rim shot) Hung Chow!

Ray

Old July 4th 04, 10:32 AM
Su/Cutworks

Ray wrote:

Chow down!!!!!!!!! Chinese for constipation is: (drummer get ready for
a rim shot) Hung Chow!

Now, that's a dinner companion. Jokes, chow and food everywhere!

-Su

Old July 6th 04, 09:21 AM
Marisa Cappetta

I've forwarded this recipe to myself Kathy, thank you. You can also make a
wicked pickle with zucchini, especially the big ones:

Cut the zucchnis into 'shoe strings'
Layer them into a container with salt and vineger. Let them soak at least 24
hours.
Drain very well
Now layer them into clean sterilised jars with peppercorns, birds eye
chillis, dried basil capers and lots of minced garlic.
Top up the jar with olive oil making sure that all the zucc is covered, tap
the jar on the bench to make sure the air bubbles come up.
Leave it at least a week before you eat it, although I find it hard to stop
myself from picking at it.

Good in sandwiches, as a side dish and when you get to the bottom of the jar
and you've got oil and all those other goodies left, schmear it on
bruchetta. The peppercorns soften and are soooooo good. OK my mouth is
watering for zucchini pickle.
Marisa AU/NZ

Bob's mother used to make this zucchini stuff, which has two
advantages - you can make vats of it for almost nothing and it uses
up those zucchini you forgot to pick until they were the size of
baseball bats. (not that I've ever done that, no siree) I've made it
with as much as twenty lbs. of zucchini, and we never have to throw
any away. Most people don't guess it's as easy as it is to make,
either.

Barbara (Bob's mom) never measured anything, but I used to make this
all the time for her, and it goes more or less like this:

1/2 lb hamburger (the cheaper the better, Italian sausage is also
good. If you have more use it, if you don't, then omit.)
2 or 3 six oz. cans tomato paste (Contadina or any brand from Italy)
2 tomato paste cans of water for every can of paste
as many zucchini as you have (at least 5 lbs., more is better)
rice - brown rice if you're me, minute rice if you're Barbara
sweet basil
black pepper
salt
olive oil, or regular salad oil, whatever you have.

Peel and cube the zucchini into small 3/4" dice. (This takes forever
unless you have those baseball bat sized zucchini) Frizzle the
hamburger (meat is optional, I've made it plenty of times without -
and no one notices), smush into tiny pieces and drain the fat. Dump
the cooked burger into a huge pot, large enough to hold all that
zucchini plus some. Pour a tablespoon or so of olive oil into the
pot to carry the flavor.

Using a wire whisk, mix the tomato paste and the water together until
smooth. Dump in the pot with the burger and oil. Add a little more
salt than you think you need, because it helps release the water from
the zucchini.

Add all the rest of the ingredients except for the rice. Rub the
basil between your palms before you put it in the pot, and use
plenty. Use lots of black pepper, because the zucchini is bland. If
you have some Romano or Parmesan cheese kicking around, throw it in
there, too. Stir this up over medium heat until the paste/water comes
to a boil. If you're using brown rice, add it now.

Cover and cook over low/medium heat until the zucchini has released
some of its moisture. Stir, then let it keep cooking for a while
(half an hour or so) until the zucchini has cooked down. If you're
using minute rice, add it, wait five minutes and you're all done.
(The brown rice takes a little longer, but it adds a little needed
chewiness to this dish, especially if you don't add meat.)

------------------------------------
Sausage Soup

Another cheapie that no one thinks is simple. The only expensive
part is the sausage, but if you have strongly flavored stuff, you can
get by with very little.

6 fat links Italian Sausage (sweet or hot) or 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean loose
sausage (Breakfast sausage does not work in this recipe) More is
good, less is okay.

Couple (2-3) of packages frozen, chopped spinach (use more if you
don't have a lot of sausage, because you can get spinach 2/$1, and I
wouldn't eat any sausage that was that cheap.)

chicken broth (cubes, canned, what have you), several qts.

1 15 oz can kitchen ready Plum Tomatoes (if you live in some
non-Italian part of the world, you can use stewed tomatoes with a
little sweet basil added. I found this out in Portland, OR, where
good Italian plum tomatoes are hard to find. If you have an
abundance of garden tomatoes, peel, seed and chop them and use two
cups or more)

Romano Cheese (grate it yourself or have the deli guys do it. DO NOT
use Kraft Cheez in a Can. The can has more flavor)

Brown Rice (or whatever other kind you have) about a cup, more if you
want your soup thick. Barley also works here, but it takes a lot
longer to cook. You could even get by with small pasta.

Sweet Basil, a little - rub between your palms to release the oils

Pepper

Mozzarella Cheese (optional)

Remove the casings if you have Italian Sausage and throw them away.
Crumble sausage into frypan and frizzle until done. Drain off all
the fat. Drain it again, because fat in this recipe is yucky. I
sometimes even pat the cooked sausage with a paper towel, which is
probably overkill.

Put the cooked sausage into your soup pot - I generally use an 8 qt
pan for this. Dump in the broth, basil, cheese and rice, and cook
over med-high heat until it comes to a boil. Then I give it a stir
and turn heat down to a simmer until the rice is cooked. Add the
tomatoes, right from the can. (If you had to use whole tomatoes,
chop them into small dice first)

In the meantime, let the spinach melt and squish as much of the
moisture out of it as humanly possible. Let it sit for a moment (add
a sprinkle of salt if you remember), then squish out the rest of the
moisture.

Taste the broth mixture and correct the seasonings. Make sure there
is no fat on the top of the soup - if there is, skim it off. At the
last moment, add the drained spinach. (You want to wait until the
very end with this because otherwise the broth turns green)

Serve with mozzarella sprinkled over the top, or not. Kids usually
like it better with "pizza cheese" on the top.

-------------------
Both of these recipes feed a crowd, are reasonably healthy, and most
people like them (even if they claim not to like spinach or
zucchini). Best of all, they're cheap and use the stuff you probably
have kicking around the house. I've been known to serve these at pot
luck dinners and to company, and I never have leftovers.

Arancini (rice balls) are also really cheap and feed a crowd, but
they take a long time and are a lot of work, so I'll skip that recipe
for now. If you're really hurting to know, just put "arancini kathy"
into the google search terms - the first one is mine. I posted it a
long time ago, and people still write to me to tell me that they like
it. Traditionally, peas are added to the rice balls, but we don't
like them, so I just skip adding peas.

Kathy N-V

P.S.: Yes, I do German cooking as well, but people seem to like my
Italian recipes a lot more. They're a lot less expensive, too.

Old July 6th 04, 11:14 PM
Ray DeVous

Wow, this all sounds GOOD. Especially the sausage soup. You better
believe I printed this one off. :-)

Ray

Marisa Cappetta wrote:

[...]

OT sorta, AD sorta, burned myself Kandice Seeber Beads 29 June 12th 04 06:30 AM
I'm back, sorta! c driver Beads 3 April 8th 04 10:53 PM
OT, sorta Kalera Stratton Beads 3 September 19th 03 01:49 AM
Apologies - OT sorta laura Beads 0 September 18th 03 01:39 PM