OT (sorta?) It's happening again!

Old July 2nd 04, 04:40 AM
Kalera Stratton

Potato soup! Brown some potatos and onions in a pan with a handful of
flour, then drench them in 50% and 50% milk, add salt and pepper to
taste, and some chopped parsley from the garden if you have it. Delicious!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Dr. Sooz wrote:
Soup....beans and dried peas and stuff, with a can of fire-roasted organic
tomatoes, herbs, pepper flakes, some chicken boullion, and tons of veggies.
Everyone begs for it again and again. We eat it for days with crusty bread.
Mmmmmmmmm

a tried and true cheapie

~~
Sooz

Old July 2nd 04, 04:43 AM
Kalera Stratton

I wish someone made nutritionally complete human chow for when I'm tired
and it's too hot to cook. Totally off the subject, I know, but still.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:26:28 -0400, vj wrote
(in message ):

vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Kandice Seeber"
:

We all have this kind of stuff, I think

my family CALLS IT "stuff".

as in:

"Mom, can we have 'stuff' for dinner tonight?"

Ewwww. My family uses the word "stuff" for something completely
different. Like feminine hygiene products, as in "Uh oh, we seem to
be going through "stuff" at a phenominal rate. Time to take a trip
to Costco and buy a year's worth."

Our big pot o' poverty food is called "dog food," as in what
shepherd's pie looks like when someone mixes all the ingredients
together. (not me)

Kathy N-V

Old July 2nd 04, 04:45 AM
starlia

Potato soup is an all time favorite of mine. When I was pregnant both times
it's almost the only thing I ate. DH hates any type of soup stuff so I
usually have to be alone when I make it. At least I get it all to myself.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old July 2nd 04, 04:47 AM
Kalera Stratton

Kathy, THANK YOU! I have been wondering what the heck I'll do with all
the zucchini I planted.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:
Bob's mother used to make this zucchini stuff, which has two
advantages - you can make vats of it for almost nothing and it uses
up those zucchini you forgot to pick until they were the size of
baseball bats. (not that I've ever done that, no siree) I've made it
with as much as twenty lbs. of zucchini, and we never have to throw
any away. Most people don't guess it's as easy as it is to make,
either.

Barbara (Bob's mom) never measured anything, but I used to make this
all the time for her, and it goes more or less like this:

1/2 lb hamburger (the cheaper the better, Italian sausage is also
good. If you have more use it, if you don't, then omit.)
2 or 3 six oz. cans tomato paste (Contadina or any brand from Italy)
2 tomato paste cans of water for every can of paste
as many zucchini as you have (at least 5 lbs., more is better)
rice - brown rice if you're me, minute rice if you're Barbara
sweet basil
black pepper
salt
olive oil, or regular salad oil, whatever you have.

Peel and cube the zucchini into small 3/4" dice. (This takes forever
unless you have those baseball bat sized zucchini) Frizzle the
hamburger (meat is optional, I've made it plenty of times without -
and no one notices), smush into tiny pieces and drain the fat. Dump
the cooked burger into a huge pot, large enough to hold all that
zucchini plus some. Pour a tablespoon or so of olive oil into the
pot to carry the flavor.

Using a wire whisk, mix the tomato paste and the water together until
smooth. Dump in the pot with the burger and oil. Add a little more
salt than you think you need, because it helps release the water from
the zucchini.

Add all the rest of the ingredients except for the rice. Rub the
basil between your palms before you put it in the pot, and use
plenty. Use lots of black pepper, because the zucchini is bland. If
you have some Romano or Parmesan cheese kicking around, throw it in
there, too. Stir this up over medium heat until the paste/water comes
to a boil. If you're using brown rice, add it now.

Cover and cook over low/medium heat until the zucchini has released
some of its moisture. Stir, then let it keep cooking for a while
(half an hour or so) until the zucchini has cooked down. If you're
using minute rice, add it, wait five minutes and you're all done.
(The brown rice takes a little longer, but it adds a little needed
chewiness to this dish, especially if you don't add meat.)

Old July 2nd 04, 04:49 AM
Kalera Stratton

Starlia, what you say here pleases me more than I can express. Thank you
so much! It literally brought tears to my eyes.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

starlia wrote:
I have one thing to add to your wonderful declaration....you are also a
great help to all here. You are a wonderful mentor and friend. I'm so
pleased things are looking up for you. I'm crossing toes, fingers, and eyes
that your studio comes in under budget.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message

Wow, thank you Kathy... and you're right, I think RCB is good for my
business. It's funny because I came here looking for community, not
customers... and I got both. As well as *superb* advice from other
lampworkers here.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old July 2nd 04, 04:52 AM
Kalera Stratton

That is AWESOME! Yay Cheryl! I hope this continues... and spreads!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Cheryl wrote:
I did not expect TWO WEEKS in a row of this, but it's been
just like last week... orders coming in like crazy! OMG! And requests
for teaching...

same here -- maybe people are letting up with money...
I've had a steady stream of orders...
- and two requests to teach (I don't teach)

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old July 2nd 04, 04:52 AM
Kalera Stratton

Thank you sooo much!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

KDK wrote:
Go Kalera!!!! So glad that good things are happening for you! You
definitely deserve it.

KathyK

Old July 2nd 04, 05:32 AM
starlia

Your post brought back my own memory of potato soup. I had never even heard
of it until I was 12 and went to live with my mom for the summer. It was
the first time I had been with her since I moved in my grandparents at age 4
or 5. She was making this soup one day and told me all about it. I
wrinkled my nose and refused to taste. My mom was always poor as a church
mouse and that's all she had to fix. I finally tried it and loved the
stuff. (Grandparents about fell on the floor when they heard I actually
tried it. Most of the time I refused anything I didn't know.)

It was one of the fondest memories I have of my mother. Sadly there are but
a few.

]Potato soup!

oh, gods.
we had that all the time when i was growing up, because my parents
loved it. there's no faster way to turn my stomach!!!!!

**LOL**
not your fault, Kalera - just one of those memories that hits me that
way!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Old July 2nd 04, 08:24 AM
Kalera Stratton

I once dated a man who didn't like cheese, soup, tea, or chocolate. He
was a BAD BAD MAN!

If it's only soup, I can trust him... mostly.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old July 2nd 04, 08:29 AM
Candace

I once dated a man who didn't like cheese, soup, tea, or chocolate. He
was a BAD BAD MAN!

If it's only soup, I can trust him... mostly.

-Kalera

I've only recently found the joy that is Vanilla Pepsi. Most of my life, I
haven't liked soda, pizza, chocolate, cake icing, chocolate cake, spaghetti, or
Kool-Aid. Gee, you'd think I was a skinny clear complected gal--but
noooooooooooo--apparently salad makes me fat and zitty. HA!

Children would poke me with sticks and call me weird. (j/k)

~Candace~
Orphan Beads Low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

OT sorta, AD sorta, burned myself Kandice Seeber Beads 29 June 12th 04 06:30 AM
I'm back, sorta! c driver Beads 3 April 8th 04 10:53 PM
OT, sorta Kalera Stratton Beads 3 September 19th 03 01:49 AM
Apologies - OT sorta laura Beads 0 September 18th 03 01:39 PM