drafting for glass work

Old May 17th 04, 05:01 PM
Allan Adler

Default drafting for glass work

I have some books on drafting, e.g. Technical Drawing by Giesecke, Mitchell
and Spencer. They seem to be primarily oriented towards metal work, with
some attention given to woodworking and less to building construction,
landscaping and airplane design. On pp.491-496, the book I mentioned above
has a section entitled "Analyzing the Job", where they show how to pass
from a shop drawing to a detailed list of procedures to be followed for
each part. The list is called a "job analysis sheet".

I don't know whether such lists are ever made for glass working, nor
what kinds of shop drawings are used for glass work. If so, are there
some books that describe them and give some examples?
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Old May 18th 04, 01:53 AM
Mike Firth

Normally, drawing or drafting for stained glass work, where it is most
common (as opposed to hot glass work, where artistic drawings to make an
image of the finished piece are used for communication with assistants), is
done as a flat cartoon of the piece, eventually, if not originally, full
sized. Colors are usually approximate, to be matched to exact colors from
particular manufacturers. Since colors vary, for hand crafted work, the
glass selection is often part of the artistic process.
The full sized drawing is reproduced a couple of times. Each piece is
marked and may be color coded. One is commonly cut up using scissors that
remove the same gap as the lead came or copper foil will make. These pieces
are used to plan the layout on the various sheets of colored glass. If a
layout is to be done repeatedly, the pieces may be cut from thin metal.
Another copy of the cartoon, commonly reversed, is pinned to the layout
board for working on the piece.
Life is rather more complicated for multisided or round lamp shades.
For hand blown factory work there is a planned layout to determine how
many people are needed on the team and the quantity of various glasses are
required for handles, lids, bases, etc. Since almost no factory work is
done these days, such planning is not widely used.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

"Allan Adler" wrote in message

I have some books on drafting, e.g. Technical Drawing by Giesecke,

Mitchell
and Spencer. They seem to be primarily oriented towards metal work, with
some attention given to woodworking and less to building construction,
landscaping and airplane design. On pp.491-496, the book I mentioned above
has a section entitled "Analyzing the Job", where they show how to pass
from a shop drawing to a detailed list of procedures to be followed for
each part. The list is called a "job analysis sheet".

I don't know whether such lists are ever made for glass working, nor
what kinds of shop drawings are used for glass work. If so, are there
some books that describe them and give some examples?
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions

and
* comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near

Boston.