Gilbert & Frech?

Old September 5th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
monique

Default Gilbert & Frech?

I know folks in this group have some definite opinions on Fire Mountain
Gems and the whole issue of how/under what conditions gemstone beads are
produced.

I'm looking for some nice carnelian beads, and I've found some nice
African carnelian ones at Gilbert & Frech. Does anyone know anything
about this big, big company, or about African carnelian? All I know is
that a) it has been mined in Africa since antiquity, and b) some of the
good red colors are produced by heating the stone (which I don't mind.)

If anyone knows of some fair trade carnelian from Africa or India, I'd
be interested.

All of this is in aid of a hare-brained project. I have an insane
desire to recreate some of the lapis and carnelian jewelry excavated
from the royal tombs in Ur. I have some gold leaf shapes. Gold-colored
or brass beads I can find. I've located some Afghan lapis that probably
comes from the same region--and the sale of which is supporting actual
Afghani families. Now I just need the carnelian.

Monique in TX, anticipating playing with her
latest bead acquisition--some really fun beaded fringe from the
decorating store (on sale!), which will be disassembled into its fun
little Indian glass beads
Old September 6th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
iolite

"monique" wrote in message

I'm looking for some nice carnelian beads, and I've found some nice
African carnelian ones at Gilbert & Frech. Does anyone know anything
about this big, big company, or about African carnelian?

I have a strand of coin pearls and a strand of moonstone nuggets I bought
from them off eBay. I am disappointed in both. The pearls are badly pitted
and many of the moonstone nuggets were cracked. The sizes of the nuggets
also varied widely. Some were really big and others were only slightly
larger than chips. I only paid seven dollars (plus shipping) for them
though, so I figure I got what I paid for.

It might be worth getting a few more strands than you think you will need,
so you can pick and choose the best beads! =)

Kimberly