What to do with 2" thick plexiglass?

Old October 24th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Wally

Default What to do with 2" thick plexiglass?

I've been offered a piece of clear plexiglass and can't think of what
to do with it. Its clear and about 6' long, 3' wide and 2" thick.
Never been used for anything that I can see. Any ideas or
suggestions? It feels like it must weigh around 300 pounds. And
there is quite a bit involved with the moving (stairs). How well
does plexiglass sandblast etch or carve? Thanks for thinking about
this.
Old October 24th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"Wally" wrote in message
I've been offered a piece of clear plexiglass and can't think of what
to do with it. Its clear and about 6' long, 3' wide and 2" thick.
Never been used for anything that I can see. Any ideas or
suggestions? It feels like it must weigh around 300 pounds. And
there is quite a bit involved with the moving (stairs). How well
does plexiglass sandblast etch or carve? Thanks for thinking about
this.

That pc of cast plexi is worth about $1200 new, undamaged, as near as I can
tell from a quick web search.

It would make a hell of a bullet-proof window for a convenience store in the
'hood.

There are a few people who post here once in a while who are sand carvers.
There is also a sand carving message board on Yahoo. You may want to try
there for more info on how to work with it or to find a buyer for the blank.

Old October 25th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
C Ryman

It would make a lot of french cleats for glass wall panels.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old October 25th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Wally" wrote in message
I've been offered a piece of clear plexiglass and can't think of what
to do with it. Its clear and about 6' long, 3' wide and 2" thick.
Never been used for anything that I can see. Any ideas or
suggestions? It feels like it must weigh around 300 pounds. And
there is quite a bit involved with the moving (stairs). How well
does plexiglass sandblast etch or carve? Thanks for thinking about
this.

Custom fishtank?

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old October 25th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
garysoudyglass

Wally wrote:
I've been offered a piece of clear plexiglass and can't think of what
to do with it. Its clear and about 6' long, 3' wide and 2" thick.
Never been used for anything that I can see. Any ideas or
suggestions? It feels like it must weigh around 300 pounds. And
there is quite a bit involved with the moving (stairs). How well
does plexiglass sandblast etch or carve? Thanks for thinking about
this.

I don't know how you'd cut the thing without melting it. There must be
specialized equipment for that.

I think it would make a nice drive through window for a bank, in
Baghdad.

Old October 25th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Firth

As I learned when I was attempting to drill 3/4" Plex rod, extruded Plex can
not be worked internally because it shows silvery internal tension breaks
that look just line COE cracks in glass. Cast Plex does not have this
problem and something this big has almost certainly got to be cast. Plex
can be carved, etc., but it is very soft and will gum up tools that get hot,
so running water and slower speeds are advised. Plex goes soft and mushy
about 240F, so it can be molded and sagged, but this big a piece and would
take a long time to get evenly to temp. There are some art plastic books
around, the one I have is a couple of decades old.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website

Old October 26th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
t...
As I learned when I was attempting to drill 3/4" Plex rod, extruded Plex
can not be worked internally because it shows silvery internal tension
breaks that look just line COE cracks in glass. Cast Plex does not have
this problem and something this big has almost certainly got to be cast.
Plex can be carved, etc., but it is very soft and will gum up tools that
get hot, so running water and slower speeds are advised. Plex goes soft
and mushy about 240F, so it can be molded and sagged, but this big a piece
and would take a long time to get evenly to temp. There are some art
plastic books around, the one I have is a couple of decades old.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website

In the 70's I worked with a company that did embedments of various objects
in Lucite blocks. I wonder of there's a big difference in materials?

Old October 26th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"glassman" wrote in message

In the 70's I worked with a company that did embedments of various

objects
in Lucite blocks. I wonder of there's a big difference in materials?

The old fly in the ice-cube trick?

Old October 27th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
m...
Were they imbedding in casting resin or in solid castings by carving?

--
Mike Firth

Must have been casting resin. I never actually saw them do it, only the
finished products. Crystal clear and frozen in time. Pretty cool stuff. I
wonder if we can melt down plexi for the same effect?