My Stupid Pot Melt Fire

Old April 17th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default My Stupid Pot Melt Fire

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
Putting a kiln shelf on the frax is the most common solution.
Using blanket on the sides and top and insulating castable and or brick

on
the bottom is another.

I think there is a misconception on someone's part, maybe it's mine?

The fiber blanket that the glass ran on was inside the kiln.
"Using castable and brick on the bottom" you are talking outside the kiln
correct?

What should you have done? Use the "saucer" for the clay pots with a shelf
primer on it, the lip keeps the glass in a puddle and it cools faster with
out anything(fiber) other than the kiln temp keeping it hot, it comes down
as the kiln does.

Could have used fiber to create a ring on a heavily primered kiln shelf,
the ring contains the glass, the shelf keeps it off the floor.

But most important, put brick of any kind under that kiln to hold it off the
floor, and put a heat barrier under the brick, like those used for wood
stoves. Works great in my wood frame building, has for nearly 20 years.

Old April 17th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Mike Firth wrote:
Putting a kiln shelf on the frax is the most common solution.
Using blanket on the sides and top and insulating castable and or brick on
the bottom is another.

I've wound up with cracked mullite shelves by setting them directly on
fiber.

--
Jack

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/jack_bowman
Old April 17th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Javahut wrote:

"Mike Firth" wrote in message

[...]

I have stainless steel rings that I use if the melt would run over the
shelf. Line them with 1/8" fiber.

I weigh all of my melts to calculate the free size or the dammed
thickness. I also use a bullseye level on the shelf before each firing.
My kiln sets on a tripod stand with adjustable legs.

Old April 17th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

I have stainless steel rings that I use if the melt would run over the
shelf. Line them with 1/8" fiber.

I weigh all of my melts to calculate the free size or the dammed
thickness. I also use a bullseye level on the shelf before each firing.
My kiln sets on a tripod stand with adjustable legs.

OK, fill me, and others if you would be so kind, in on the weight
conversion for my 20" shelf.
How do I know how much weight in the pot, makes how large a disc?

Went to Michaels Crafts and got some pots, fresh from Germany, little 6"
jobbers and some larger saucers, but I just guessed at the sizes. How do I
know what fits what?
Sounds like a "try it" to me.

Old April 18th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Javahut" wrote in message

I have stainless steel rings that I use if the melt would run over the
shelf. Line them with 1/8" fiber.

I weigh all of my melts to calculate the free size or the dammed
thickness. I also use a bullseye level on the shelf before each firing.
My kiln sets on a tripod stand with adjustable legs.

OK, fill me, and others if you would be so kind, in on the weight
conversion for my 20" shelf.
How do I know how much weight in the pot, makes how large a disc?

Went to Michaels Crafts and got some pots, fresh from Germany, little 6"
jobbers and some larger saucers, but I just guessed at the sizes. How do

know what fits what?
Sounds like a "try it" to me.

3 lbs makes about a 12" circle.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old April 18th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Javahut wrote:
I have stainless steel rings that I use if the melt would run over the
shelf. Line them with 1/8" fiber.

I weigh all of my melts to calculate the free size or the dammed
thickness. I also use a bullseye level on the shelf before each firing.
My kiln sets on a tripod stand with adjustable legs.

OK, fill me, and others if you would be so kind, in on the weight
conversion for my 20" shelf.
How do I know how much weight in the pot, makes how large a disc?

Like Glassman said, 3 lbs for a 12" circle. I work in grams. 1100 for a
free pour 1/4" thick. 550g for each additional 1/8" inch. Be sure to dam
over 1/4" thick.

Went to Michaels Crafts and got some pots, fresh from Germany, little 6"
jobbers and some larger saucers, but I just guessed at the sizes. How do I
know what fits what?
Sounds like a "try it" to me.

I buy my pots at the Home Despot. Made in Italy, last well. I've heard
the Mexican pot doesn't hold up well.

For big melts I look for bulb pots. Big diameter without the added height.

Experiment with your whole size and shape and drop height.

I usually drop onto 1/32" Unifrax.

If you're not thrilled with the outcome, nona fretta. You can grind off
the top layers and usually find some good color with sharper lines.

--
Jack

LET'S GO RED WINGS

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/jack_bowman
Old April 18th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"nJb" wrote in message
Javahut wrote:
[...]

Size??

For big melts I look for bulb pots. Big diameter without the added height.

Size??

Experiment with your whole size and shape and drop height.

I usually drop onto 1/32" Unifrax.

If you're not thrilled with the outcome, nona fretta. You can grind off
the top layers and usually find some good color with sharper lines.

Ya know, I better go take a look at that web page and read up on this. I
might have some free kiln time at the end of May sometime and it looks like
fun.... firemen, smoke, insurancve agents, arson squad... could be
interesting

LET'S GO RED WINGS

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/jack_bowman

Old April 19th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Javahut" wrote in message

"nJb" wrote in message
Javahut wrote:
[...]

So much fun that I'm ready to do it again! But then again I'm from
Brooklyn, and used to living dangerously. Pot size doesn't really matter.
Cut up about 3 lbs of scrappolla in long skinny strips, and you'll see what
size container it will fit in. Crank it up, let it drip, and you'll be
hooked. Of course what to do with the results is the real question.

Old April 19th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Glassman wrote:
"Javahut" wrote in message

"nJb" wrote in message

Javahut wrote:

[...]

Don't get hooked on just long skinny strips. The size and shape and how
it is placed in the pot are also important variables.

What to do with them? Check below. Eight of nine on page 1 are pot
melts. Redwood Sunset on page 2 is a pot melt. Each photo can be
enlarged twice.