need shop info for San Jose, CA

Old August 9th 04, 08:50 PM
Marianne Teubner

Default need shop info for San Jose, CA

My DD just moved from Foster City, CA to San Jose, CA (near Almaden
Expressway & Hwy 85 and Almaden Plaza) and I am looking for some shops I can
visit when I go down to see her.

I went to the Hoffman Distributors website and found one in San Jose on
Union Ave., The Makings. I moved from the Campbell area over 20 years ago,
but my recollection of Union Ave. is that it isn't that close to where my
daughter is, but Yahoo Maps shows it only "7 minutes" away via Hwy 85! Is
Yahoo Maps giving me the straight scoop? Is The Makings a shop worth
visiting?

How about Golden State Sewing on Winchester Ave. in Campbell? It had a
different name when I lived in Campbell and was strictly a needlepoint shop.
In fact, I took my first class there and fell in love with needlepoint. Is
it worth the trip?

I know about Carolea's Knitche, but it seems a bit far, especially since
when I usually visit DD there isn't a lot of free time.

How about the Continental Stitch in Morgan Hill? Is it worth the traffic and
the trip?

Are there other shops that aren't listed on the Hoffman Distributors site
that I should definitely visit? How about any fabric and/or quilt shops?
Wasn't there a shop in downtown Los Gatos ages ago? And also one in
Saratoga? Are they no longer around?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Marianne (been gone so long San Jose is "foreign" to me)

Old August 9th 04, 09:25 PM
SpringPam

Marianne,

I don't know the answer to your actual question...
but I think the time estimates on Yahoo maps and others ASSUME that you will
be able to drive the posted speed limit on the route involved, there is no
traffic, and no construction.

In reality....well any urbanite, suburbanite, or anyone else who routinely
goes more than two miles from their home at any time can explain that one.

Cheers, SpringPam
in Austin, TX area where the freeway is a mysterious new mode of transport.

"Marianne Teubner" wrote in message
link.net...
My DD just moved from Foster City, CA to San Jose, CA (near Almaden
Expressway & Hwy 85 and Almaden Plaza) and I am looking for some shops I

can
visit when I go down to see her.

I went to the Hoffman Distributors website and found one in San Jose on
Union Ave., The Makings. I moved from the Campbell area over 20 years ago,
but my recollection of Union Ave. is that it isn't that close to where my
daughter is, but Yahoo Maps shows it only "7 minutes" away via Hwy 85! Is
Yahoo Maps giving me the straight scoop? Is The Makings a shop worth
visiting?

snip.

Old August 10th 04, 01:15 AM
Farleyaw

I used to live in that area but have since moved away. I go to visit family
there and like to make the rounds. Forget Carolea's Knitch - it's ALL
quilting. They have wonderful fabric, etc, but no more needlework stuff. Old
Worlde Designs is no longer in Allied Arts in Palo Alto. The Exclaimation
Point in Saratoga is a great store for fibers (!) but has no linen or cross
stitch charts. I didn't visit there when I was there in May - check the phone
book to make sure they're still there. Highway 85 had a major expansion done a
few years ago.......it's easier to get around. There aren't a lot of
needlework stores in that area. Quilting is the big thing.

Anne