turks head

Old July 31st 03, 05:00 AM
Gerald Diamond

Default turks head

Earlier this year, there was a discussion here of larger turk's head
knots
and TJ Bartruff's very nice descriptive page.

I found it very instructive but it raised a question in my mind:

He(?)suggests that only certain combinations of leads and bights are
possible
but this is only true if only one cord is used

I found that two cords will allow the construction of certain of the
other lead/bight (e.g. 6 x 16) combinations and i'm fairly sure three
or more cords would allow others (note that both are necessary for its
form - it is not one cord chasing the other)

so
is it still a turk's head if it needs two cords or is something else ?

gerald
Old July 31st 03, 02:04 PM
T J Bartruff

Hi Gerald
Yes, it is still called a turks head even if you use more than one line.
Tom Hall has a few books out on turks heads, and in them are multi line
knots.
I made the web page more for the novice or beginner trying to learn to tie
a turks head, but I found out that even a few "old salts" use it for the
larger knots. I only did the chart for single line knots to keep it simple.

Thanks for the kind words
T J Bartruff

BTW, you are correct in saying "he"

"Gerald Diamond" wrote in message
om...
Earlier this year, there was a discussion here of larger turk's head
knots
and TJ Bartruff's very nice descriptive page.

I found it very instructive but it raised a question in my mind:

He(?)suggests that only certain combinations of leads and bights are
possible
but this is only true if only one cord is used

I found that two cords will allow the construction of certain of the
other lead/bight (e.g. 6 x 16) combinations and i'm fairly sure three
or more cords would allow others (note that both are necessary for its
form - it is not one cord chasing the other)

so
is it still a turk's head if it needs two cords or is something else ?

gerald

OT - All in my head - feh! Cheri2Star Beads 22 November 23rd 04 05:30 AM
It's all in my head ~Candace~ Beads 38 October 28th 04 07:04 AM
WTB: sterling silver "alien head" ring Ray L. Volts Jewelry 3 August 30th 04 06:12 AM
What to do with a glass head C Ryman Glass 19 October 30th 03 04:24 PM
AD: Sylvie Lansdowne Head Over Heels workshop coming to Berkley, MI Dawn Christ Beads 5 July 4th 03 04:14 PM