Entry Door Insert

Old May 20th 04, 02:51 AM
Henry Halem

Your looking for a saw greater than a size or two up considering the
thickness. 3 or 4 inches is serious thickness to cut even with diamond. The
type of saw your looking for depends on the type of cutting you wish to do.
If your looking for only straight cuts then a lapidary saw like the ones
sold by Covington would do. If your looking to make curved cuts then the
band saw conversion from Denver would do, maybe, and that is a big maybe no
that is a very big maybe. In your case thickness is your enemy. When using
the band saw it will be very slow going when cutting through glass that
thick even with a diamond or carbide blade and you will be limited to the
depth of the throat and you will not be able to make anything more than
gentle curves. Break a diamond blade that is 93.5 inches long and your
talking $$$$$$$. Straight cuts with the Covington are definitely possible.
Be prepared to spend some bucks. My recommendation is to investigate a
company that does water jet in your area.

John O. Riordan - Riordan Artistry

Hi Folks,
I am looking for a diamond bandsaw for
glass and crystal that is the next size or two up from
anything that Delphi sells for stained glass.
This would be a wet saw that can slice through
a block three or four inches thick with ease.
I have checked CR Laurence, Sommer & Macha,
and more ot the usual suspects already.
I appreciate your help.
- John

Old May 20th 04, 03:59 PM
Sundog

hmmmm... I didn't register that he wants to cut 3-4" thickness. Water-Jet
comes to mind also, but I am concerned the jet may 'wander' around in that
kind of thickness..... but the water-jet folks are always improving too. I
was involved in a huge project where they jet-cut a couple hundred feet of
1.25" granite in a freeform design ... awesome results!!!

cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

Old May 20th 04, 08:32 PM
Terry Harper

"Sundog" wrote in message
ink.net...
hmmmm... I didn't register that he wants to cut 3-4" thickness. Water-Jet
comes to mind also, but I am concerned the jet may 'wander' around in that
kind of thickness..... but the water-jet folks are always improving too. I
was involved in a huge project where they jet-cut a couple hundred feet of
1.25" granite in a freeform design ... awesome results!!!

This can't be that different from cutting refractory tank blocks, that are
fusion cast, and come in up to 12" thickness. They use diamond wheels with
lots of water. Fundamentally it's a standard masonry saw. We used Clipper
saws in the UK on site, but in the factories they have beefier versions.

Why not ask Vesuvius at Falconer NY what they use?
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/

Old May 21st 04, 12:47 AM
Carl Olsen

3 to 4" thick is fine for a waterjet.

Depending on the equipment used, and the edge quality desired, cutting
speeds would range from about 1 inches per minute to about 3 inches
per minute for straight line cuts.

If the part has lots of intricate shape to it, especially sharp inside
corners, then the cutting speeds will be slower.

Some grades of glass (like tempered glass) are more difficult to cut
than others. (tempered is impossible). Even bullet-proof glass can
be waterjet cut, though not all bullet proof glass can be pierced.

In general, waterejets can cut just about any fancy shape you can
draw. Here are some cool examples:

http://www.omax.com/glass.html

Expect a few thousanths of an inch of "taper" on straight cuts, and
perhaps up to 0.030" of "blow out" in sharp inside corners.

If you need better precision than that, it is not hard, but make sure
the equipment used is OMAX equipment, which has really good cutting
models for controlling taper and corner blow out, etc.

If you need the maximum amount of precision, then find a shop that has
a "tilt-a-jet" cutting head. Not many have this, because it's new
technology, but if you call OMAX they'll tell you where you can find
one. In most cases, though, I have trouble imagining that you need
glass to such high tolerances.

For job shop listings, more info on waterjets, etc, visit my web site
at:

http://www.waterjets.org.

For info on OMAX, or to find shops that have precision capabilities,
visit http://www.omax.com, and contact OMAX. (By the way, I'm a
computer programmer for OMAX.)

When looking for waterjet job shops to do glass work, make sure they
have equipment that can do low pressure piercing, as it is essential
unless you are comming in from the side of the materail. Without it,
the glass will crack durring the pierce. Also note that there are a
lot of different waterjets out there, and not all of them are capable
of good tolerances.

If you have any questions, let me know. My email is
.

Carl.
http://www.waterjets.org.

Old May 21st 04, 11:10 PM
John O. Riordan - Riordan Artistry

========================
Subject: test
From: Riordan7
To: rec.crafts.glass
Date: 5/20/2004

Sorry, for the bandwith absolutley none of my responses are going thru.

Subject: larger glass band saws, from Riordan
From: Riordan7
To: rec.crafts.glass
Date: 5/20/2004

Hi Folks,
Sorry for starting an unnecessary new thread but it
seems I can start a new message; and read responses,
but am unable to post a response.
Please read below.
If anyone has any insight into this AOL phenomenon,
please let me know.
Thanks,
John

Subject: Need help on search for larger glass band saws
From: Riordan7
To: rec.crafts.glass
Date: 5/20/2004

Hi Folks,
This is my third frustrating attempt to send a response
using my AOL newsgroup account.
I believe in thanking people for their help and don't
know why my replies are getting dropped.
This time I will chop out everything that is not essential,
in case big brother thinks there is profanity somewhere
in the message.
- John

From: Riordan7
To: rec.crafts.glass
Date: 5/19/2004

I'll try my "thanks" message again. AOL does the newsgroup thing
more poorly than it used to.

From: Riordan7
To: rec.crafts.glass
Date: 5/18/2004

Thanks, all!
Andy, that's exactly what I'm looking for.
I can't believe that we somehow managed to
skip the Denver Glass Machinery catalog, when we
have an account with them, and have spent
thousands there. (No, I wasn't paid to say that.)
As far as tile saws go; we have one but we
need a cleaner cut, along with some other
capabilities.
As far as adapting a woodworking tool goes;
I've done that several times for other tools but am now
getting too old and impatient to fart around anymore with
anything other than the glass and crystal, unless
absolutely necessary.
Thanks for all your help. We've actually been
looking with low intensity for a couple of months, and
low and behold someone from somewhere across the
continent needs to point us toward a catalog that
was about two feet away from my nose.
- John

In article ,
(Andy) writes:

Did you look at the saw from Denver machinery? Runs about $1700. I saw
one up at Savoy in Portland and it's awesome.

Andy
Neoglassic Studio
Medford, OR