This post is important to all

Old March 30th 04, 01:34 AM
nJb

vic wrote:

nJb wrote in message ...
Well, Henry, the Tiffany goes tomorrow. :-).

" I was aware and was thinking of Tiffany when I was writing that. I

knew
he was the designer and others did the work."

For the record, Tiffany owned the company and designed a "few" things.
Most of the work,blown,lamps, windows etc were designed by a staff of
"designers".

I better start over.

I know that Tiffany's first name is Louis.

Now, if somebody could recommend a good book on the history of art glass
I would be forever grateful.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old March 30th 04, 02:23 AM
Dennis Brady

I don't believe there's less people involved today in glass art then
in the past - in fact I think there's more than ever before and the
number is growing constantly. They're just doing different kinds of
work than in the past. Fewer are making lamps and windows but
increasingly numbers of artisans are working in warm and hot glass.
They've moved on from the limits of flat glass to slumping, fusing,
and even casting.

This is NOT a time when interest in glass art is declining, but a time
of true renaissance in the complexity of art being produced with
glass. The new materials and tools now available have created
opportunities for small studios that previously never existed. Many
artisans today are producing work that makes Tiffany's look crude and
childish. Imagine what our children will do with increased use of
computers, waterjets, and small manually programmable robots. We're
on the border of a time when even a small one person studio can
personally take on significantly large projects and rely on nothing
more this his/her own personal skills and sophisticated tools.

I don't believe there has EVER been a better time to be involved in
glass art.
Old March 30th 04, 02:12 PM
Glenn Woolum

My apologies, nJb... I've made my point though, and agree with your
asessment of DC's talent as a glass artist. I think it would be difficult
to overstate his influence on modern art glass (at least for hot glass,
anyway).

"nJb" wrote in message
GLENN WOOLUM wrote:

Geeze, how many times have we heard that one? How 'bout "if Chihully

doesn't
blow, he must suck..", or "Chihully sucks while not blowing". The thing

is,
I would like to have a Chihully collectable piece, but I can't afford

it.
His designs are good, he makes a ton of cash, and most wannabes can't

stand
that. So they think he sucks. I don't.

I think you quoted the wrong message. Out of courtesy, you should quote
the person you're replying to. The one that said that Chihuly sucks. And
don't follow my lead, you'll wind up spelling his name wrong, and that
would probably **** him off more than anything that might be said.

Dale Chihuly is one of the greatest names in studio glass in this era.
His contributions will benefit the art for years to come, as will the
contributions of Mr. Halem, who corrected me in my ignorance of the
subject.

Old March 31st 04, 11:04 PM
Glenn Woolum

Yes, well that really is life isn't it Alice?

"Alice in Brooklyn" wrote in message
k.net...
It's not that Chihuly's a bad glass artist, it's that his
lasting contributions to the art are more based on marketing than on
what he himself actually creates. He's a fine glassblower, but he's a
fantastic marketeer. And it's his marketing, his contribution to making
hot glass a legitimate art form in America, that has to a large extent
made it possible for the rest of us to come along and discover glass.
IOW, lots of people can can study with the best and lots of people can
blow great glass; not a lot of people can make a Pilchuck.

-AB

says...

Old April 2nd 04, 12:05 AM
Henry Halem

Alice,
You damn with faint praise. No, the fact remains that he has created some
extraordinary glass. Again I ask that you study history and you will find
that Dale has nothing on the marketing skills of Tiffany. Try not to let
yourself be suckered by the P.T. Barnum effect and look at the work for what
it is. I think you will find great beauty in many of the works that he has
created over the years.
HH