oxy-acetylene torch

Old September 15th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Edward Hennessey

Default oxy-acetylene torch

Terry Harper wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:16:59 -0400, "Javahut"

wrote:

If it's good wine, you drink it, if its not you pour it down

the drain, why
the hell would wine storage in a crystal decanter ever occur

anyway.

The problem is that people use lead crystal decanters to store

whisky,
brandy, port and sherry for extended periods. They should only

be used
for immediate consumption. Pour it back into the original

bottle if
you wish to keep it long-term.

Nothing wrong with passing the port decanter clockwise round

the
dining table. Just make sure that it is emptied by the end of

the
meal.
--
Terry Harper

Terry:

An interesting question would be if the lead leaches into the
alcohol
over time, could one leach enough out by storing successive
amounts
of, say, cheap methyl alcohol in it over time and disposing of
them until
the amount that could work into stored potable spirits was
negligble?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Old September 16th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Firth

An interesting question would be if the lead leaches into the alcohol
over time, could one leach enough out by storing successive amounts
of, say, cheap methyl alcohol in it over time and disposing of them until
the amount that could work into stored potable spirits was negligble?

The alcohol is not the factor. It is the slightly acid aspect of wine.
The original concern of the actual tests
was whether lead crystal drinking glasses leached enough lead to make
drinking from them risky. The result
of the test was to conclude that there was no risk and all that needed to be
avoided was long term storage.
Potable spirits probably (although this is not tested) do not absorb enough
to think about.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
nk.net...

Old September 16th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Edward Hennessey

news

wrote:

[...]

Mike:

Thank you.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Old September 16th 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Allan Adler

"Debbie Nelson" writes:

Allan, while I'm a newbie to this group only because I finally kicked my son
off the computer long enough to set all my stuff back up, I'm NOT new to
lurking over Mike Firth's shoulders to bask in the glow of his knowledge.
You can't go wrong with anything he has to say about glassblowing. You have
no idea what I've learned from him through his website, and through the Wet
Canvas forum. I've learned as much lurking as I would have in any
glassblowing class. Trial and error will teach you much, as well as every
little burn and blister. Good luck!

Thanks, Debbie. So far, I've found Mike Firth's comments to be very helpful.
In the last week or so, I came here with specific questions that I felt I
needed answers to for my own purposes, conceived in isolation and without
reference to other points of view. For the most part, I've been received
very cordially by readers of rec.crafts.glass and I am very grateful for
the help I've received here. Now that my original questions have been
answered, I plan to follow your example and lurk in this group and see
what else I can learn here from discussions of questions it has not occurred
to me to ask.
--
Sincerely,
Allan Adler
Old September 16th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Terry Harper

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:45:31 GMT, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

Terry:

An interesting question would be if the lead leaches into the
alcohol
over time, could one leach enough out by storing successive
amounts
of, say, cheap methyl alcohol in it over time and disposing of
them until
the amount that could work into stored potable spirits was
negligble?

As was said, it's not the alcohol itself that is the problem. Leaching
of the lead from the glass surface will leave a silica-rich network,
which will probably show up as a semi-opaque layer on the inside
eventually. This will be porous and the lead may well continue to
leach out ad infinitum.

A better method, were it practicable, would be to coat the inside of
the decanter with a resistant layer.
--
Terry Harper

meco midget vs little torch for silver fabrication CM Fox Jewelry 2 September 22nd 09 01:13 AM
debating pros and cons of harris 19-6 Torch Handle, wt040018 gloor light torch handle, and smith little torch bizHB Jewelry 2 July 16th 06 05:45 AM
Torches & flames Michael Jewelry 2 July 29th 05 08:26 AM
Want a Soldering Torch for cheap? (not an ad) Kathy N-V Beads 10 March 11th 05 09:00 PM
torch for working (PLG or propane)? Des Bromilow Jewelry 7 February 24th 04 03:34 AM