Firing Paint Questions

Old August 9th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman@work

Default Firing Paint Questions REPORT

"glassman" wrote in message

DOH! I have this box of leftover paint bottles I inherited. How do I
know which ones are firable?

Here's some of the paints I have...

Lefranc &Bourgeois (colors Vitail)
Lefranc &Bourgeois (vernis gras colores)
All Craft Powders

Are these firable to 1200?

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old August 9th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Vic

Glassman@work wrote:
"glassman" wrote in message

DOH! I have this box of leftover paint bottles I inherited. How do I
know which ones are firable?

Here's some of the paints I have...

Lefranc &Bourgeois (colors Vitail)
Lefranc &Bourgeois (vernis gras colores)
All Craft Powders

Are these firable to 1200?

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com
www.MyConeyIslandMemories.com

DONE of those are fired paints.

Old August 10th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Firth

Paint is applied and heated to about 150 in a normal household oven.
Guess you could call that heat treated, no?

No, it's called rapid drying - reducing the chance of humidity and dust
messing up the surface. Modern automotive paints for repainting are sold
thick and you must buy a thinner matched to the temperature at which it will
be applied - use a low temp (50F) rated thinner at higher temps (80F) and
the paint will dry so fast it will not level and will show seams and spray
strokes. Use a high temp rated at low temp and it will take a long time to
dry, may pick up dust and bug marks, and may sag.
For what it's worth, ordinary "enamel" or laquer paints will normally feel
slighty slimey or slick if a drop is rubbed between the fingers while firing
paints (as opposed to those that are sometimes baked) that contain glass
will normally have a very slightly gritty feel to them although this depends
on what was used to make the pigment flow which can be a gum, like gum
traganth, which is diluted with water, or an oil, like pine oil or linseed
oil, which is diluted with mineral spirits, terpentine, or alchohol. Both
types of these additives bind the pigment, making it flow when wet and stick
when dry. All are burned off at some point when fired to glass melting
temps. Some are also used as media for cold paint in which case drying is
from evaporation of the solvent and aging of the oil - some oils are
non-drying, unboiled linseed oil being one, and need additives to dry.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
wrote in message
oups.com...

Vic wrote:
wrote:
glassman wrote:
Report on firing black Dekka paint on yellow GNA. Fired to 1200. As
it
approached 1100 or so I peeked and the black started to disappear.
Now all
that's left is faint white where the black used to be. What did I do
wrong
besides doing it myself? Wrong paint? Temp too high? Ready to try
again.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com
www.MyConeyIslandMemories.com

I thought Dekka paints were only fired in house oven to around 250
degrees.

Scratch

WRONG Dekka's are NOT heated at all.

Really...here's a brochure from DEKA on the paints...which have been
discontinued by the way. http://www.asgs.com.au/asgs/deka/dekacat1.jpg
Paint is applied and heated to about 150 in a normal household oven.
Guess you could call that heat treated, no?

electric kiln firing questions Zander Pottery 5 October 11th 04 02:31 AM
Acrylic Paint - Metallics & Pigment Powders questions Rob Pierce General Crafting 2 April 12th 04 11:07 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM