kilns

Old September 10th 04, 06:33 PM
David Billington

I live near the Kennet & Avon canal and was speaking to a local glass
blower I know today. He said he knows of someone that has a ceramic kiln
on their narrow boat, also a chap that has a forge on his. I have seen
the forge boat near me several times but not known what it was. Its
actually 2 boats, a normal narrow boat for the living quarters and a
1/3rd size one for the workshop. The chap wasn't there today but if I
see him again i'll enquire about what he does for power as its not
mains. I can enquire about the ceramic kiln power if you are interested.

Bonnie wrote:

Hi,
I'm going to be moving onto a narrowboat in the very near future but I
really want to try fusing.
My other half has just been looking into all the of electrical stuff for me
and has basically said my options are either a generator or a gas kiln.
My questions are
1 Does such a thing as a gas kiln exist?
2 If so where can I get one?
3 Anyone had any experience using a generator with a kiln? (problems with
using a generator is noise and space)

I'm only wanting to make jewellery and small plates, ashtrays etc.
Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bonnie

Old September 10th 04, 09:04 PM
Child

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
perhaps you should look at bead making and/or lampworking. You would use a
torch with it's own gas supply and for annealing most small items, a
crockpot on low filled with vermiculite would be acceptable??? m

I would be really hesitant to take flammable gasses with me inside a boat.

Old September 10th 04, 09:34 PM
Su/Cutworks

Child wrote:

I would be really hesitant to take flammable gasses with me inside a boat.

There are a series of safetly regulations in place for UK boats, which must
pass these to be licensed for UK waters. These include ventilation
requirements to deal with the presence on most boats of Calor/propane gas
for cooking and heating. You cannot store the gas canisters inside the
boat, they require a separately vented external locker for such things, so
if they cook with gas, having a tank available for torching isn't
impossible.

-Su

Old September 11th 04, 06:40 PM
Bonnie

That'd be great if you would!
Starting to think that maybe the best solution all round is to get myself a
workshop somewhere though! It might just make my life easier all round, plus
take the messiness of stained glass away from where we're gonna live! Also
lots more room.

Old September 13th 04, 05:56 AM
Michele Blank

don't y'all use propane for stoves on your boats? same type of tanks??? As
far as a workshop on land, great idea as your clients will want a place to
come see your work .

Old September 14th 04, 12:13 AM
David Billington

Spoke to the glass blower today and he said the ceramic kiln was gas
powered. He meet the chap last year in the midlands IIRC. Whether the
kiln was installed when the boat was certified is another question. From
what I know off ceramic kilns having an 18" top loader for slumping,
fusing, metal heat treatment the basic control required for simple
ceramic firing would not do glass well without additional control. I
added an external PID temperature controller to the kiln. What I am
thinking is that a gas fired ceramic kiln could have a much simpler
control system than if it was intended for glass work. If you used a
generator then I wouldn't expect you would need much above the kiln
rating as the load is purely resistive unlike if you were running a
motor whicjh is inductive, although having extra capacity runs the
generator under less stress. Best speak to the manufacturer though as
they can advise the best and are usually very helpful. I haven't seen
the forge boat again but if I do and anything interesting is mentioned
i'll relay the info.

Bonnie wrote:

That'd be great if you would!
Starting to think that maybe the best solution all round is to get myself a
workshop somewhere though! It might just make my life easier all round, plus
take the messiness of stained glass away from where we're gonna live! Also
lots more room.
k...

glass kilns in UK Jo Glass 4 August 17th 07 10:26 PM
Need advice/info about kilns for metal clay Peggy Beads 9 November 10th 04 05:19 PM
looking for pics of Home-made Kilns. Boner the Cat Glass 2 July 15th 04 07:57 PM
Kilns / Anyone in Zip 75149? CLP Beads 7 October 17th 03 03:44 AM
Kilns, Build or Buy R. Weisbloom Glass 2 August 10th 03 10:13 PM