OT warning, bee in my bonnet

Old July 23rd 05, 07:30 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:36:01 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Now that you've brought it up ... I don't know how to pronounce
your name! I knew a Johanna from Wales who said her name: Jo
Anna. I've known several from Germany who said: Yo Honna. Then,
the Americans I've known have said: Jo Hannah. What is your
choice, Jo in Scotland? (BTW: My 'phonic' spellings here are
approximate.)
PAT in VA/USA

I know it's a German name, and I don't mind when Germans say
"Yo-hanna". It did originate in the Germanic-speaking area after all.
I prefer to have it pronounced "Jo-honna" or "Jo-hanna". I detest
Joann. I will turn around for just about everything else. I've been
called John, Johan, Yohan (Sebastian Bach?) Johannes (This was in my
senior album in high school) and even Jeremy and Charlie. It's an
amusing life.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 23rd 05, 10:44 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Patti S wrote:
How about people at groceries stores and such that see your name on
debit card / check and just assume you prefer to shorten it? In my case,
Patricia is my "legal" name, which I love, but have gone by "Patti" or
"Trish" my entire life. I absolutely loathe being called "Pat". When
strangers call me that, I correct them. When people I know call me
"Pat", my reply is "I'll let you get away with that once, because you
don't know I hate being called by that name. The second time, I tear out
your tongue". Seems to work!

Oh, thats a real pet hate of mine - altho I sign off as Suzie, I was
christened Susan but don't like it... went thru school and early working
life as Sue, only going onto Suzie when I had to answer the phone with
my full name, and "Sue Hart" (my maiden name) just sounded too short and
sharp... however "Suzie Hart" had a nice ring to it...

BUT - people have a nasty habit of calling me "Suz" - and I hate it - I
actually got fired from a job in London many years ago because I slapped
a colleague who insisted on calling me "Suz" - I had warned him several
times, and so had other people, but he kept doing it, so one lunchtime I
belted him one...

....I was da*m lucky he didn't press charges!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old July 23rd 05, 11:13 PM
nzlstar*

eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!
i have a habit of shortening names like that but tis only mean in an
affectionate way.
i still hear/see the right name in my head when saying it.
i've also been known to lengthen names with a 'ster' on the end of it.
in your case it might end up as Suzie Q. )
all depends on the situation tho.
hugz,
jeanne
note to self...if you ever get to the uk, DO NOT call suzie, suz or prepare
to get knocked out
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Paul & Suzie Beckwith" wrote...

Old July 23rd 05, 11:42 PM
the black rose

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
I've raised my kids to call my very close friends aunt and uncle - not
casual aquaintances - but people who were an integral part of their lives.
It's a way of showing respect for adults who were too close to be referred
as Mr, Ms, Mrs. But I also raised my children to say ma'am and sir to ALL
adults. It goes along with the training of which fork and knife to use when
dining. I've always been complimented on my children's good manners. I had
a friend who had her girls courtsy and sons bow from the waist when being
introduced to an adult. I never went that far but admit being charmed by
the act.

Hmm, mebbe I should have insisted! Hehe. It would have required a lot
of convincing of DH at a time when I didn't have the heart for it. I
have the backbone and the influence *now*, in middle age, but with the
kids nearly grown, it's a bit late. Their manners are reasonable,
though, except for my oldest, who was raised by my ex and has NO manners
at all.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old July 24th 05, 06:02 AM
DrQuilter

There's a bee in mine, now. We got the escrow papers for the house.
DH and I use different last names, which is pretty common back home. At
most women will add their husbands' last name after theirs, but they
never lose their 'maiden' names. It seems to confuse a lot of people
here, that call me Ms. Vila or call him Mr. Vignali.

This time it is a first. In these documents, he is 'Fernando Vila
Vignali', and I am Marissa Vignali. I have no idea why they did this,
obviously we filled out all the documents correctly! Someone made their
own conclusions as to how our names 'should' be, I guess!

I hate it when somebody 'decides' these kind of things for me! Reminds
me of the time our car insurance was canceled because one of us had done
the buying and the other taken care of the insurance part!

Sally Swindells wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:03:51 -0400, Roberta
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 02:51:33 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I am about to show you my worst side. Maybe not. Please just let me ask for
your feelings on a situation. You are ia doctor's office. You wait two
hours. You fill out a mountain of papers for information that could easily
have been obtained from the documents already on file. You are not feeling
very well.
Then this cutsey-poo person pops her head from the doorway where
patients who haven't managed to die of old age or aggravation in the waiting
room finally get to go sit in yet another room for an hour. The ultimate
insult: She yells, " Polly!"
If it's not a terrible burden, I like to be called Mrs. Esther by total
strangers. I am also okay with being addressed as Her Highness, Miss
America, 1917 and "Honey, where did you put the . . . ?"
Does this lazy familiarity gall anyone else with its rudeness? just
wondering. Polly

I think it would bother me as well :/

and with a name like Polly, there could well have been 10 of you in a
crowded waiting room. Maybe she was having a hard time with the
pronunciation of Esther (normally I have heard first and last names
used...incase there are 2 Ms. Esthers' of course) or perhaps she was
a bit tired, your name was written on the paper as esther, polly and
she is in the habit of calling out a last name with no title? just
trying to come up with some reason that someone would be so rude and
unprofessional - I mean really - it could cause problems if ya have a
bunch of people with the same name....

Roberta (in VA)

Wonder if there was confusion over your name, Esther is a girls name
in the Bible. Perhaps she thought she was calling out Mrs. Esther
Polly's name.

My Grandmother was called Elizabeth, Lizzie as a child and Nan by my
Grandfather. Mrs Stone by everyone else, even her best friends. Mrs
Stone was replaced by Auntie Stone for her friends children until they
were considered grown up! When she went into hospital she became
Elizabeth. Fortunately I don't think she really knew much about it -
should wouldn't have reacted at all to being called Elizabeth.

I've just had to 'phone a wine company who had delivered our case of
wine to an empty house on the next road which is called ...Road
instead of ...Close. Same house number.

The lady on the other end was very polite, gave me a refund on the
delivery charge (as I'd delivered it and called me Madam (lots of
times).

I am feeling very important.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old July 24th 05, 07:39 AM
Sharon Harper

LOL to this day almost 8 years since I was put on the "title deeds" together
with DH for the house, after numerous letters, phone calls, visits,
faxed/emailed/photocopied proff the local council will not take DH's ex-wife
off the rates notice and put me on.

quicker)

Old July 24th 05, 11:11 AM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Georg wrote:

Polly Esther wrote:

Does this lazy familiarity gall anyone else with its rudeness?
just wondering. Polly

I have solved this problem. My first name is very unusual and no one
expects to encounter it or what to do with it. My last name is
straightforward and easy to pronounce. I get called Mrs. H all the time.
Mainly because not many folks want to struggle over Georg-Karen. It's an
awkward mouthful. And they don't know if they are seeking a male or a
female most of the time, so they often just call out "H?"

So if you were to change your first name to Harry-Polly, you would
definitely be called Ester.

-georg

Is this the right time to politely enquire about the origins of your
name? and how it is pronounced?

I've always wondered (or just been plain nosy...!)

Suzie B

Old July 24th 05, 11:12 AM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

nzlstar* wrote:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!
i have a habit of shortening names like that but tis only mean in an
affectionate way.
i still hear/see the right name in my head when saying it.
i've also been known to lengthen names with a 'ster' on the end of it.
in your case it might end up as Suzie Q. )
all depends on the situation tho.
hugz,
jeanne
note to self...if you ever get to the uk, DO NOT call suzie, suz or prepare
to get knocked out

Hey - Suzie Q is fine - I even have a line of fabric named after me!

Suzie B
(just give me a heads up if you make it to the UK so I can run the
vacuum round and tidy up a bit...)

Old July 24th 05, 11:47 AM
Sally Swindells

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:44:14 GMT, Paul & Suzie Beckwith
wrote:

Patti S wrote:
[...]

My 'grown-up' name is Sarah, but that is reserved to people with
official forms to get my name from - Dr., Tax etc.Never seems to refer
to me as I've always been Sally since I was born. DH had to give
'wife's name' for inclusion on a membership list of a men's club he is
in - when I saw Sarah he was made to get it changed!

Amused by the over-friendly sale 'phone calls who call us Sarah and
John (DH's first name, but he has always used his second name of
Michael (for Aunts) and Mike for everyone else!) When we were married
we were given a New Testament by the church inscribed to John and
Elizabeth (my second name). That felt wierd.

Just remembered, when we got engaged and the anouncement was in the
paper as John Michael and Sarah Elizabeth, DM got a 'rude' phone call
from someone who said they were John - Sarah's fiance. Mother was
completely thrown by this (she led a sheltered life) and just couldn't
work out why this person who didn't exist was pretending to be someone
with a different name....oh it just got too silly for words!

Sal is reserved for DH, and it really grates when one or two people
other people use it. Usually just grit my teeth (they are always just
acquaintances who I only see very occasionally) Perhaps they have
heard DH call me that (but they wouldn't call me 'honey-bun or any
other such pet name, would they!) Family have never tried it!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old July 24th 05, 01:21 PM
Georg

Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:
Georg wrote:

Mainly because not many folks want to struggle over Georg-Karen.
It's an awkward mouthful. And they don't know if they are seeking a
male or a female most of the time, so they often just call out "H?"

-georg

Is this the right time to politely enquire about the origins of your
name? and how it is pronounced?

I've always wondered (or just been plain nosy...!)

Suzie B

Georg is like George with the E lopped off the end to make it feminine.
I saw it that way in baby name book, and not having a clue about it
being the German form and pronounced differently, I thought I would
spell it thus. I have been called Georg as far back as I can remember,
but I was named Karen- a name I have always detested. Ken + Carol =
Karen. My parents are very logical. But I legally changed to Georg-Karen
when I got married, and kept my own surname. As wife #3, there have been
enough Mrs. S already. Of course if someone calls Mrs. H, I look for
mom. The fun part of getting mail is that I get it addressed to Mr & Mrs
Georg and Karen. And it's much easier to pick out telemarketers. If they
ask for Mr. H, I hand the phone to my sweetie who is quite rude. If they
ask for Mrs. S, I inform them my mother-in-law doesn't live here and
hang up.

-georg